Best Alternative to CX-5

New X3 is a lot larger than a CX-5.
Nearest is the X2.

X1 was once described as the worst car BMW has made, although the latest version has improved it still only gets average reports

Funny you mention it because I edited my post before I read this, lmao. I realized after that the X2 is a thing now. Hahaha.

*sigh* :(

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/06/2018-mazda6-wagon-beautiful-but-forbidden/

2018 Mazda6 Wagon: Beautiful but forbidden

01-2018-mazda6-wagon-geneva-1.jpg

03-2018-mazda6-wagon-geneva-1.jpg

09-2018-mazda6-wagon-geneva-1.jpg

That is a sharp looking wagon. The so called “experts” say that US consumers don’t want a wagon but I read and hear a lot of people saying just the opposite. Look at the popularity of the Subaru Outback. Call it a suv or crossover if you want but it’s a wagon.

That is a sharp looking wagon. The so called “experts” say that US consumers don’t want a wagon but I read and hear a lot of people saying just the opposite. Look at the popularity of the Subaru Outback. Call it a suv or crossover if you want but it’s a wagon.

To be fair, that's mostly enthusiasts on enthusiast forums and/or auto journalists writing for enthusiast magazines, web sites etc.

Us enthusiasts sadly make up a paltry fraction of the actual car buying public. But as another thread/poster notes, perhaps a cladded and tarted up 6 wagon sold as a 'crossover' competitive to the Buick TourX, Subaru Outback and VW Alltrack would work for Mazda as appealing to the mouth breathing masses and be 'close enough' for us enthusiasts.

I guess the CR-V would be the next best choice based on reviews but I can't get past the overwrought styling.

I can't get past the 1.5l engine (and it's problems) and the CVT, but hey, each to their own.

I really like Ford Escape Titanium (the fully loaded version). It has everything I wish the CX-5 had: Carplay + Turbo charged engine. It's not as pretty as CX-5 but def better than CR-V.

I'm a huge unfan of vw and anything they try to peddle post doeselgate they can and shall receive a 'lick my balls' response and I don't even think that's an overreaction even in litght of #metoo..that has unquestionably gone too far but no doubt still has relevance and mostly exposes wrong..vw was so wrong..cheating lying dbag fkrs that they effectively cease to exist at least in my world..hellfkngno.. repeat.

Last edited:
I'm a huge unfan of vw and anything they try to peddle post doeselgate they can and shall receive a 'lick my balls' response and I don't even think that's an overreaction even in litght of #metoo..that has unquestionably gone too far but no doubt still has relevance and mostly exposes wrong..vw was so wrong..cheating lying dbag fkrs that they effectively cease to exist at least in my world..hellfkngno.. repeat.

I actually love them for diesel-gate. I'm mad at them because they got caught.

Once a VW, never again a VW, I say. My experience with VW quality has been terrible.
Had a Tiguan prior to my CX5. While I miss the more comfortable interior and the far superior Dynaudio system, I do not miss buying high octane to feed the turbo, or the low gas milage, or the fear of the timing chain snapping over 60K.

I am right there with the OP though... Mazda lack of CarPlay is really the biggest blemish on my otherwise fine experience with the CX5, and its absence is a bigger deal for me than I thought it would be. I find Mazda Connect irritating every time I get in the car.

I know...the things I would do for that brown leather interior....and the wagon.

i'd rather kill myself than drive a wagon with brown leather interior. crazy how two people can look at the same car in vastly different ways

All Mazda have to do for me is introduce a high powered version, AA along with a couple more gears, and I wouldn't even bother to look at another make or model.
I had 4 Nissans and only deserted them when they brought out an Xrail with an inferior engine, otherwise I would still be driving one.

Had a Tiguan prior to my CX5. While I miss the more comfortable interior and the far superior Dynaudio system, I do not miss buying high octane to feed the turbo, or the low gas milage, or the fear of the timing chain snapping over 60K.

I am right there with the OP though... Mazda lack of CarPlay is really the biggest blemish on my otherwise fine experience with the CX5, and its absence is a bigger deal for me than I thought it would be. I find Mazda Connect irritating every time I get in the car.

i'd rather kill myself than drive a wagon with brown leather interior. crazy how two people can look at the same car in vastly different ways

Yeah, wagons are pretty fugly imo, hahaha. Seems to be a lot of wagon love on these forums tho.

Back