Bluetooch problem on 2013 CX-5

:
23 CX-5 Premium
So today my system (basic Touring stereo-not Bose) suddenly refused to play Pandora off my iPhone 5. It appears to stream it OK (the playback info is shown on the touch screen, so it's connected), but there's no audio from the car speakers. When I toggle back to the phone speaker, that plays fine. Everything else works fine including the Bluetooth for the phone itself. Just no music. Is this the dreaded bluetooth module gone bad? Or is there something I can do to reset the music streaming function?

I'd try connecting another BT device or a USB dongle w/music before ruling the module toast. Could just be a software/setting issue. Very rarely I'll get weird occurrences such as usb/BT music only coming through the center speaker, but it always fixes after restarting the HU.

So today my system (basic Touring stereo-not Bose) suddenly refused to play Pandora off my iPhone 5. It appears to stream it OK (the playback info is shown on the touch screen, so it's connected), but there's no audio from the car speakers. When I toggle back to the phone speaker, that plays fine. Everything else works fine including the Bluetooth for the phone itself. Just no music. Is this the dreaded bluetooth module gone bad? Or is there something I can do to reset the music streaming function?

There could be a number of problems, but to rule out some of the basics, have you tried closing the app and/or restarting the phone? Also try to see if the issue is specific to pandora by opening other apps such as spotify, amazon music, etc and try to see if they stream. If those don't work, try to power cycle the headunit by turning off and then turning back on the car.

Turns out the volume control on the phone got turned off and when you’re streaming, that function is independent from phone speaker. So while it seemed like volume control was normal when toggling back and forth from iPhone to Mazda, it was actually muted to the car.(argh)

I find 99% of issues are related to phone settings and/or a recent app update. OS updates are also a snake nest.

I find 99% of issues are related to phone settings and/or a recent app update. OS updates are also a snake nest.
Or try to any different thing...
04fd695830d0162db07c112c11eff9a8.jpg

Bluetooth connectivity problems are why I won't be keeping my 2016 Touring much longer. I've had it for almost a year, and after a recent firmware update, and numerous iOS updates on my iPhone over that time, the problems are still the same. I always keep the phone in the slot in the console, otherwise it will never connect, which is ridiculous to begin with. But even then, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't matter if I'm trying to play Pandora or music from my phone, neither of them work consistently. Having music while driving is important to me, and Mazda is unable to deliver. Too bad, because I really like the vehicle otherwise.

Bluetooth connectivity problems are why I won't be keeping my 2016 Touring much longer. I've had it for almost a year, and after a recent firmware update, and numerous iOS updates on my iPhone over that time, the problems are still the same. I always keep the phone in the slot in the console, otherwise it will never connect, which is ridiculous to begin with. But even then, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't matter if I'm trying to play Pandora or music from my phone, neither of them work consistently. Having music while driving is important to me, and Mazda is unable to deliver. Too bad, because I really like the vehicle otherwise.

Being "old school", connectivity isn't at the top of my list when car shopping. I don't ask much of the system in my CX-5 and it manages to keep up with my meager needs for the most part. However, that being said, I spent a month in a late model Chevy Malibu rental about a year ago while my CX-5 was in the body shop and realized how intuitive and easy to use a well-designed system could be. That Chevy's infotainment setup made the one in my Mazda seem absolutely stone-age. I no doubt will pay more attention to this next time I car shop!

Since I'm 70 years old, I'm rather "old school" myself, and the infotainment system isn't at the top of my list either, but it is important. I expect the system to work correctly, but the Mazda isn't even close to acceptable.

Since I'm 70 years old, I'm rather "old school" myself, and the infotainment system isn't at the top of my list either, but it is important. I expect the system to work correctly, but the Mazda isn't even close to acceptable.

And yours is about 4 years newer than mine. Imagine life with the earlier version!

I haven't seen any other reports like this and we have both the current and older system in our household. No issues. Seems like this would be easy to demonstrate to the dealer for investigation - why haven't you done this?

Eh. My bluetooth has been fine and consistantly working for 5 years.

Maybe you just need to get it checked out. Granted mine is a pre-Mazda Connect system, so may be different systems.

65 year old here and my iPhone X works perfectly with Bluetooth in my 16 cx-5 GT. Only issues I ever had were with the pandora app and pandora seems to finally have their app working perfectly. I can even leave phone in back seat and still connects perfectly.

I haven't seen any other reports like this and we have both the current and older system in our household. No issues. Seems like this would be easy to demonstrate to the dealer for investigation - why haven't you done this?

I've mentioned this problem to the dealer twice in the last couple of months. Long story short, I was given the Mazda national customer service number to call. However, before calling that number, I am going to call the dealer again make them at least look at the vehicle and hear me out on what is going on.

Back