Normal Engine Noise?

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

I have a 2017 GT with 7k miles. I noticed today while waiting in line for food that I have a clicking or ticking of sound coming from the engine. Is was fully warmed up, and was sitting and idling long in line.

Could that be a bad timing chain? Valves. Has anyone else noticed this sound? I also have full synthetic oil (Mazda did the oil change) and the oil level is fine.

Normal?

Please use appropriate subforums when posting (moved from lounge). Thanks.

Last edited:
Most likely what you are hearing are the fuel injectors firing which is normal, can you post a video/audio clip of the nose?

OP is asking about engine noise he considers suspect. This is the “engine & transmission” suforum. How is that inappropriate?

A rthymic (sp) ticking is most probably the fuel injectors firing which is normal. Ed

OP is asking about engine noise he considers suspect. This is the “engine & transmission” suforum. How is that inappropriate?

I am guessing he moved the post and then replied... i am a moderator on another forum, and we do that often, but I usually say "thread moved to proper forum"

Last edited by a moderator:
Every so often I will notice the clicking or ticking sound when waiting at a red light or at a complete stop. Sounds like a faint tapping noise which I thought it was maybe something with the heat shield under engine or something. I only hear the noise when in the cabin, if I stick my head out while car is still in gear at a stop I don't hear anything outside. I hear the noise while stopped and in gear. As soon as I let off the brakes and car moves past 1mph the noise stops. Noise also stops when I put it in neutral. I took it to the dealer a few months back and they told me it was normal for this updated engine or something and they were getting quite a few people asking too. Ever since then I just didn't pay attention to it anymore.

I have this clicking noise too and have had it ever since I bought it. The mechanic that did my pre-purchase inspection said it was normal.

From my limited understanding of the engine, the noise is related to the direct injection system.
I understand most DI engines are the same. Nothing to worry about would be my guess.

My new 2018 engine ticks too if its normal all Cx5s would make this noise. If you open the hood its clearly audible. The salesman whom I liked said it was normal but I failed to pursue it for a real explanation. Does anyone NOT have this ticking in the engine bay?

My new 2018 engine ticks too * if it*s normal all Cx5*s would make this noise. If you open the hood it*s clearly audible. The salesman whom I liked said it was normal but I failed to pursue it for a real explanation. Does anyone NOT have this ticking in the engine bay?

Both our CX-5 and Mazda 3 make a slight ticking noise. It actually sounds a little like the vales of my old MG.

My 2017 CX5 is also doing this. Normal??
I took a video of it but unsure how to post it.

There's a couple of ways to post your vid that I'm aware of.

1-Upload it to a hosting site, then click on the Insert Video icon (second icon from the right at the top of this dialog box) and paste the url in it.

2-Click "Go Advanced" underneath this dialog box and select the "Insert File" icon, then browse for the video on your hard drive and upload it.

The first option will embed the vid so it can play within your comment.
The second option will provide a file link for folks to open it with.

Back