Upgrading 2008 CX-9 GT with Bose (with photos, eventually)

Maligator

:
2008 CX-9 GT
First of all, howdy. This is my first post here, though I've been lurking as a non-registered member for a few weeks while I researched. I bought my '08 GT new in 2009 and was mostly satisfied with the sound system and navigation until recently. The now-ten-year-old, Etch-a-Sketch nav screen was never stellar and finally pushed me into upgrading. A big "thank you" to members who may not even still be active here for the info in some of the old threads on the topic.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'll start replacing system components. Some are already here and some are on the way, while others haven't been ordered yet and potentially more I didn't know I needed haven't even been considered. But as soon as a few more parts come in, I'll take a day off from work and try to knock most of it out at once.

Here's what I have in hand or on the way:

• Kenwood Excelon DNX893s DVD/Nav with Metra kit
  • 3x Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx 3.5" coaxial speakers (dash)
  • 2x Infinity Reference Flex 8D 8" variable-mount subwoofers (front doors)

Down the road a bit:

• 6x8" or 6.5" coaxials (rear doors) - Prefer to stay with the Infinity Reference line, but Crutchfield says they don't fit; maybe go with their Primus line
  • 2x additional REF-3022cfx 3.5" (D-pillars)

I'll leave the Bose sub under the cargo floor, since it's already there and sounds OK to my ear. I will endeavor to keep a running commentary with plenty of photos in case my successes and failures might help someone else down the road. I haven't done my own stereo work since I was in high school (25 years ago), so failures might outnumber successes.

After additional research, it looks like the 6x8" Infinity Reference REF-8622cfx may actually fit the rear door without modification, despite what Crutchfield says.

I also found information on the Bose sub box under the rear cargo deck. You can take the top cover off and swap out the 5.25" woofer that's inside. For that task, I've found anything from a $20 Dayton, to a $70 DS18, and a couple of JL Audio offerings ranging from $100 to $180.

After additional research, it looks like the 6x8" Infinity Reference REF-8622cfx may actually fit the rear door without modification, despite what Crutchfield says.

I also found information on the Bose sub box under the rear cargo deck. You can take the top cover off and swap out the 5.25" woofer that's inside. For that task, I've found anything from a $20 Dayton, to a $70 DS18, and a couple of JL Audio offerings ranging from $100 to $180.

These Tang Band 5.25" subwoofers are pretty impressive if you've got the depth to fit one.

http://tb-speaker.com/en//products/w5-1138sm

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w5-1138sm-5-1-4-neodymium-subwoofer--264-831

I have photos but I don't know if they'd be any help to anyone, since they don't show anything more than what's available elsewhere. I'll see about getting a few up tonight or tomorrow. So I took Friday off work to do my install, then promptly came down with some kind of 24-hour virus that wore me out Friday night and yesterday.

The deck went OK. Crutchfield's guide diagrams and photos were very helpful, but the material provided with their ready-made wiring harness left much to be desired. I never did get my factory rear-view camera to come up on the new deck. The image quality was so poor on the OEM screen, I've learned to live without it, anyway. At first, CarPlay didn't come up, but re-initializing resolved that. For the life of me, I can't figure out how this particular unit was a "scratch and dent" special. The only "damage" I see is a bit of crusty gunk (dried adhesive, maybe) on the edge of the screen, most of which came off with my fingernail. And the firmware shows to be the most current, so I didn't have to screw with that.

Steering wheel controls work fine. You'll see when I get around to posting photos that I changed the default "AUDIO" to "Matt's CX-9" on the dash screen. I haven't seen anything on how to change the time, but as this weekend was Spring Forward, I went ahead and did that adjustment before I removed the OEM deck. Also of not about the OEM deck, when I ejected a CD I'd had in there for years, the screen stuck in the down position. I don't listen to CDs anymore, so I have no idea how long it's been like that.

I wanted to use the OEM GPS antenna, since I found it under the center speaker grille, but the connection went into one of the harnesses and I couldn't find where it came out. I simply removed it and put the Kenwood antenna in the same spot.

The three dash speakers were fairly easy to replace. One problem I had was the two corners left little room to get any kind of tool up under the windshield, but I persevered with a vise-grip and a bit from my screwdriver kit.

The Infinity subs didn't fit. Though they mounted just fine, the flange around the edge is too beefy for the door panel to fit without further modification to the panels, which I'm not willing to do. I'll return them and am looking at a couple of 6x8"/5x7" models from Infinity and JL Audio. Precision Power and Focal have 8" coaxials that might do the trick, too.

I ordered this one last week: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It should be here by Tuesday.

Update:

Learn from my fail! The speaker in the stock sub enclosure may be a 5.25", but the mounting holes are about 1/8" off. So the replacement didn't fit and I spent more time than I'd like to admit publicly finding that out. Also, I scoured the web and used all of my Google-Fu to find a description, diagram, photo, video, cave painting of how to get into that enclosure. Alas, I was consumed with my task and didn't take photos. Before the flogging, here's at least a description....

Getting to the enclosure is the easy part. Lift the cargo floor panel, which pops out with three little nubs at the hinges. With that out of the way, you have the sub on the left and a tray containing your jack parts. That tray pops out, though you may not need to do so and - in fact - removing it may damage the little plugs that hold it to the floor. You should also see a plastic piece partially covering the sub that has the Bose logo. Pop that puppy out with moderate upward force; make sure the metal pegs that secure it come out with it; there are three securing points and two have metal pegs. A small carpeted floor panel comes up with it. You'll see a silver piece that I think only keeps the floor panel off the sub; it has two nuts (ha!) before it comes out. The three nuts holding the sub in place don't need to come out unless you're pulling the unit, which is also unnecessary for just getting into the enclosure. Finally, there's the collection of small black screws on the lid. You'll notice a strip of foam rubber glued to the sub on the forward side. Don't pull on it too much, but you'll have to pull up small sections of it to get to the three screws underneath.

Now, the stock Bose speaker is not what I expected. What I saw in a video of a Bose unit from a 3 (I think) had a cheap-looking plastic cone with foam surround. In mine, there's an odd-looking (but not cheap-looking) silver-gray cone with a clear dome. A sticker on the back says "Bose RichBass."

Anyway, there's $30 down the commode.

Next up, I have a Focal IS 200 8" component system coming tomorrow. I hope that goes better.

Well, after the 8" Focal components didn't fit the space (off by .25"), I revisited the Infinity Reference Flex 8" subs I mentioned earlier. It took a Dremel and some trial and error, but I got them to fit. It's not pretty on the back, but everything fits and functions.

On the downside, I drilled and attached the Focal component tweeters in pods on the little triangular trim pieces on the door. I either need new ones now, or live with the holes.

Before I return the Focals, I'll see if by a miracle I can fit them on the back doors.

29314b82aa6940634e7502a35fb75a30.jpg

The Focal tweets I had to uninstall.

4af70bb6e74ccb2a95f869c0d134b365.jpg

Infinity 8" sub fits the stock holes, albeit with longer screws. Foam baffles behind.

528ded134f2254a0a8ecfba1d886fea3.jpg

After Dremel shot of the door panel. It ain't pretty, but it worked.

6681b63a02e7f6e66d9c3b28941fe6c3.jpg

Kenwood eXcelon DNX893S is a solid upgrade. Got it for around $550, scratch & dent. Other than a smudge that came off with my fingernail, I see nothing wrong with it.

002c78f534a5fa567ae900d2fc04a135.jpg

Replacement center channel. I may go with a Kappa Perfect 300m if I can find one on Ebay without its mate. Note the Kenwood's GPS antenna where the OEM antenna once was.

4224a990acc84e551a7041b2cad27e7b.jpg

Rat's nest mid-install.

Well, after the 8" Focal components didn't fit the space (off by .25"), I revisited the Infinity Reference Flex 8" subs I mentioned earlier. It took a Dremel and some trial and error, but I got them to fit. It's not pretty on the back, but everything fits and functions.

On the downside, I drilled and attached the Focal component tweeters in pods on the little triangular trim pieces on the door. I either need new ones now, or live with the holes.

Before I return the Focals, I'll see if by a miracle I can fit them on the back doors.

What mids and/or tweeters are you going to run with the 8's in the doors?

After listening to some SQ competition vehicles this past weekend, I'm very interested in fitting 8's in the doors of my CX-9.

What mids and/or tweeters are you going to run with the 8's in the doors?

After listening to some SQ competition vehicles this past weekend, I'm very interested in fitting 8's in the doors of my CX-9.

The Infinity 3.5s in the dash do a good job. If the Focal component system fits in the rear doors, they'll be the midrange workhorse.

6681b63a02e7f6e66d9c3b28941fe6c3.jpg

Kenwood eXcelon DNX893S is a solid upgrade. Got it for around $550, scratch & dent. Other than a smudge that came off with my fingernail, I see nothing wrong with it.

Rat's nest mid-install.

a little OT: You have an interesting A/C display...how did you get that to work?

4af70bb6e74ccb2a95f869c0d134b365.jpg

Infinity 8" sub fits the stock holes, albeit with longer screws. Foam baffles behind.

You know, with those big boys in the doors, you don't even need to subwoofer in the back if you give the infinitys some power and cross them over properly. If you want to spend the money & space for it, put a 12 or 15 in the back area to pick up the very bottom octave (20 - 40Hz).

I just bought my CX-9 and i'm starting the audio upgrade process. Thanks for this, it has been great for info. One question for you. Where did you put the usb and aux inputs. I was hoping to run mine (I bought the Sony xav-ax100 which only has a usb input) to the back of the center arm rest (where the stock aux input is) but haven't figured an easy way to run the usb chord/wire. Any pictures or ideas would be great.

I just bought my CX-9 and i'm starting the audio upgrade process. Thanks for this, it has been great for info. One question for you. Where did you put the usb and aux inputs. I was hoping to run mine (I bought the Sony xav-ax100 which only has a usb input) to the back of the center arm rest (where the stock aux input is) but haven't figured an easy way to run the usb chord/wire. Any pictures or ideas would be great.

I ran them into the glovebox. In hindsight, I think I'd have tried your method. It's not that the glovebox doesn't work, but it might be cleaner.

I'd intended to finish up this install this week, but my wife took the CX to the airport for six days. I managed to force one of the Focal 8's into a rear door, but I don't like it. I have Infinity Reference 6x8s ready to go in. That really only leaves the rear pillars, which I may not touch.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but summer in Houston precludes doing much unnecessary outdoors work. But I had the day off today and figured it won't be cool any time soon (and my wife has been on my ass to get this stuff off the dining room table).

Where I left off: installed one Focal woofer in the left rear door, which required butchering the enclosure to force it to fit. But the stock screw holes were left intact (I did manage to think that far ahead). Pushed in some foam baffles, installed the REF-6822cfx, and went with the +3dB tweeter setting. Removed the remaining stock speaker in the right rear door and put in the matching 6x8.

The difference is striking. I didn't realize how much midrange I was missing.

Unless I find the Kappa 3.5's for a deal, I may not touch the rear pillars. No one back there to appreciate them, except for the dogs.

Back