Mazda CX-5 Coilover suspension install video

Hi peeps just like to share video on coilover install for Mazda CX5 2012 - 2016

Thank you

Review :

Ride wise i would say improve better than stock on our roads here and less hard bouncy ride on stock suspension if you guys know what i mean (basket ball bounciness) especially on 19 " wheels , then again over here the road condition here also are somewhat lack in maintenance . so many uneven and little potholes everywhere. I' ve gone with about 1.5 inch drop from factory front and rear . Damper setting at 10 clicks front , 8 clicks rear. The car absorbs better and more smoothly on light uneven highway roads . Hope this would help CX 5 owners if going with coilover route .

Last edited:
Thanks for adding this video. We have a lot of member interested in lowered ride height.

excellent video, thank you for sharing. are you willing to post a quick review on your impressions using coilovers with a Mazda chassis?

I thought that coilovers take more than 1-2 days to fully settle - about 1000 miles? very good bit of information. thanks again.

Thank you guys . 1 - 2 days will be suffice for my applicationas i bought this used , so saying that there's wont be much running in for piston inside the shocks. But if its brand new set then would wait till 1000 miles or more before going into alignment shop .

Thank you guys . 1 - 2 days will be suffice for my applicationas i bought this used , so saying that there's wont be much running in for piston inside the shocks. But if its brand new set then would wait till 1000 miles or more before going into alignment shop .

You can do one helluva lot of damage to a set of tires in 1k miles with a seriously misaligned suspension as this type of surgery is likely to cause. A better plan would be to have in initial alignment right after the install and then take it back in a thousand miles for a recalibration. That's what I did when I installed H&Rs and the shop did the recheck for free since I explained the situation up front.

You can do one helluva lot of damage to a set of tires in 1k miles with a seriously misaligned suspension as this type of surgery is likely to cause. A better plan would be to have in initial alignment right after the install and then take it back in a thousand miles for a recalibration. That's what I did when I installed H&Rs and the shop did the recheck for free since I explained the situation up front.

Yea I went and got an alignment at brakecheck for $144, but subsequent alignments will only be like $5. Ofc they don't have brakecheck in Indonesia.

Do you have any other suspension modification?

Im afraid this is the only mods for suspension i have done.

Update i have done the alignment to the car and the front are nicely within oem specs. As for the rear we encounter some problem as the car is lower effecting camber and other components we couldnt align it to oem specs . I will have to get camber kit in the future to fix this issue.

I have modified the factory lateral links. I have made them adjustable. I have purchased new ones, from Ebay(~$54/each), https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned), https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) and these: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
If I remember correctly, I had to cut out 2.250", from the factory arm and I had to increase the hole slightly.

Do you have any pics by any chance . Want to see what you meant by modifiying the lateral link arms.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Most likely, I'm the only one, who has this setup.
I don't remember the company's name, but an Australian suspension company's owner told me, that this is the best way to do it. It will bring inward, the bottom of the wheel.
With the camber arm(mounted up), the wheel has to be pushed outward(closer to the fender).

P.S. It was K-mac Suspension(Kevin), who suggested that I should do it this way.
http://k-mac.com/
An update, for those who did not like my idea, of doing this(for safety reasons). I'm still around and the car still performs as expected.

20150128_171811.jpg
20150128_171758.jpg
20150126_075616.jpg

Last edited:
Hi peeps just like to share video on coilover install for Mazda CX5 2012 - 2016

Thank you

Review :

Ride wise i would say improve better than stock on our roads here and less hard bouncy ride on stock suspension if you guys know what i mean (basket ball bounciness) especially on 19 " wheels , then again over here the road condition here also are somewhat lack in maintenance . so many uneven and little potholes everywhere. I' ve gone with about 1.5 inch drop from factory front and rear . Damper setting at 10 clicks front , 8 clicks rear. The car absorbs better and more smoothly on light uneven highway roads . Hope this would help CX 5 owners if going with coilover route .

He does it a bit differently than I've seen it suggested in other videos but perhaps BC doesn't call for preload?

On others, they put in the rear spring and compress it 10mm. The shock is then installed at that location (adjusted up/down to fit where the mounting point now is). Your preload is then set. Then, the bottom of the shock is torqued, the damping adjusted as desired, the wheel put back on then everything is inspected for ride height. If needed, the entire process is started again.

Here is an example.

Last edited:
Back