Seriously, I could just cry. Idiot rear-ended my 8-month-old CX-5 yesterday

:
Mazda CX-5 2017 GT, red
Sigh. In stop-and-go morning commute yesterday and this guy in a heating and cooling company truck smacked the back of my car. The first thing he said was "I knew I should have taken a different truck. The brakes on this one are bad." (!!??)
So, dealing with insurance company and estimates and all that.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 591
I don't want to look because I think I would make me very sad. Really sorry to hear this and hope that you can get things settled quickly.

Here was mine in May 2015. It's fixable. It sucks, but it's fixable.

t0nT1N3.jpg

Sorry it's blurry, was an old crappy phone.

Sigh. In stop-and-go morning commute yesterday and this guy in a heating and cooling company truck smacked the back of my car. The first thing he said was "I knew I should have taken a different truck. The brakes on this one are bad." (!!??)
So, dealing with insurance company and estimates and all that.

do you brake linear and smoothly when coming to a stop? or do you just increase the pedal effort just enough last second to come to a stop 2CM away from the car in front?

having bad brakes is absolutely no excuse to be crashing into people. I bought an old honda accord back when I was younger that effectively had NO front pad left for the brakes. I urgently needed to go somewhere before stopping by the mechanic and I never ran into any issues... just keep a good distance from the car in front, brake early and smooth, and you will never have anyone even getting close to rear ending you. also, use the manual mode to downshift while slowing down. it helps with braking.

Sorry to hear that! Similar thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, finally got it in to the shop today. Mine is ~8 months old too, so pissed

do you brake linear and smoothly when coming to a stop? or do you just increase the pedal effort just enough last second to come to a stop 2CM away from the car in front?

having bad brakes is absolutely no excuse to be crashing into people. I bought an old honda accord back when I was younger that effectively had NO front pad left for the brakes. I urgently needed to go somewhere before stopping by the mechanic and I never ran into any issues... just keep a good distance from the car in front, brake early and smooth, and you will never have anyone even getting close to rear ending you. also, use the manual mode to downshift while slowing down. it helps with braking.

It's just people not wanting to take responsibility themselves. Guy couldn't just say "Man, I'm sorry, this is my fault and I feel terrible." He had to rattle on about s*** OP doesn't care about, that is not germane in any way to the situation, to try and place blame (poorly) on something "other than him".

Are you suggesting that the OP was somehow responsible?

Are you suggesting that the OP was somehow responsible?

I don't think so. I think he is just saying that the guy that crashed knew in advance his brakes took longer to stop and he should have planned and driven accordingly. I see no blame ascribed to the OP.

It's time to stop posting

This same thing happened to me Last April AND March of 2016. Bumper cover replaced and misc items.
It gets so crazy down here around spring break time. Extra careful this year now.

Last edited:
I had a guy rear end me at a light because he got confused, thought the light turned green and i was already gone, and smashed into me hard enough to give me whiplash. Poop happens. As long as youre ok, everything else is just items.

I had a guy rear end me at a light because he got confused, thought the light turned green and i was already gone, and smashed into me hard enough to give me whiplash. Poop happens. As long as youre ok, everything else is just items.

Makes you wonder how the rear ender passed his driving test, perhaps he bought his driving licence?(drive)(weakest)

Guys - not sure of your respective driving/commuting/etc. but this is WAY too common especially in urban heavily congested areas. I drive daily to NY City from NJ and back. Here's the kicker: within NY City, things do look chaotic but there's a rhythm once someone figures it out such rear ends are rare (except when your car is parked and someone backs into you..LOL). What scary is the Holland Tunnel/Pulaskii Skyway. The mentality of the people there is get to work/get to work OR go home/go home. These milk driving small white trucks and especially this recent slew of Uber/Lyft drivers - REAL pain in the butt. These approach highways move constantly from 3 lane to 2 lane to 1 lane and back causing funneling effect.

Here's what I do:
1. Constantly keep looking who's coming behind me
2. Off and on if I feel threatened I gently press my brakes if I see him speeding up to me
3. If he's tail gaiting I move really slowly with brakes here and there - causing him to really think if its worth it
4. Have this sticker at the back: "SMILE if you can read this - for you're being recorded"
5. Yet to purchase this but my friend has it. Linky

Its extremely sad to see this with OP's car, I do hope insurance will come through. Looks like entire lift gate, bumper, and side fenders perhaps. Hope damage did not creep up to the roof section. Trade-in / resale values will definitely take a hit.
I think OP was driving sensibly. Otherwise there's a strong chance when being rear ended like this the car skids forwards and hits the car in front too.

Its extremely sad to see this with OP's car, I do hope insurance will come through. Looks like entire lift gate, bumper, and side fenders perhaps. Hope damage did not creep up to the roof section. Trade-in / resale values will definitely take a hit.
I think OP was driving sensibly. Otherwise there's a strong chance when being rear ended like this the car skids forwards and hits the car in front too.

I might be misremembering because I've had a bit to drink, but...

My 370Z was hit, and $13K in damage was done. I still got $29ish for trade-in on it, with tires bald AF, cords HANGING off them. I got into the vehicle I traded for, for KBB Private Party. I later saw the 370Z for sale on the dealer's website for $32k, and then dropped to $31k. This is AFTER they put new tires on it.

I disclosed 100% of the damage info before trade. I think that was the going rate for them then, undamaged, for that mileage and option package, too.

My attorney also got me about $4k in diminution of value.

GET AN ATTORNEY if you aren't being given diminution of value.

Back