Gas Mileage on new cx 5

HI:

Brand new 2018 CX-5 GS with 2.5 litre engine. Mainly commuting up and down a multli-lane highway 25 kms (15 miles) each way with a bit of city driving in the mix. I have had as low as 7.5 L / 100 KM ( 31.4 MPG US) on an extended roadtrip of about 150 kms (90 miles). My current tank of gas is running at 8.4 L / 100 KM (29 MPG US). It might be better it I occasionally didn't need to floor it around the onramps to get out of the way.

I have found the secret to be to use the Mazda Radar Cruise Control. It better controls the gas that I do to really reduce the amount I need to use.

Thanks

Again... the 21.5 is you from new average. I disagree with Kaps that "something is wrong".
My rolling average on both my cars are exact. Not even off by .5. Yes, if I look at my trip mpg counter and hop on the freeway I get high 20's. If I do a fresh reset and roll around Lakewood, Ohio, home of 25-30 mph zones I can also consistently get high 20's. Average over 100's of miles? No matter what I do it falls to 21.5.
Could that have something to do with my .3 mile trip to the corner store? or corner bar? or over to Brian's house who lives 1.5 miles from me?
Just saying... so many variables. There's no way to summarily say: 21.5? Problem.

No, it's a 2018, 175 miles on it.

You're still breaking in then. Although it says it's not technically a "break in period" in the manual, the first 600 miles are treated differently and I know when I bought mine, my MPG was s*** at first and gradually got better. Well...at least going by the onboard MPG monitor.

Tire pressure seems to affect it too according to some.

Frankly Kaps, nobody here gets the MPG numbers you get, so not sure what to say. 21.5MPG seems reasonable if you are city driving, heavily spirited meaning gunning it and braking hard, stop/go, etc. Like I do... :D Though, I get better than that MPG myself.

To OP, I think give it time, it will work itself out.

Last edited:
did you reset the counter when you got it? i reset mine at each fill-up
Uhhh...175 miles. I missed that earlier. Dude is still on his first tank!
Uh, yea OP. Revisit this in about 800 miles. .

Set your nav screen to show the fuel economy results for the current trip each time you shut off the engine. If you short trip you will be surprised.

Was just about to suggest that. I've been using that forever. Just went to lunch. 18.5, less then 1 mile roundtrip. Yea, that hurts overall numbers. And when you see it after every trip, you get a better understanding. There's also a setting to "Synch Avg with Trip A". This is your A Odometer. This makes it really easy to reset your MPG at any time.

My 2017 CX-5 AWD with 4K miles gets 21-22MPG around town. For me, 'around town' means a lot of start/stop and lots of hills (our home is about 400ft above most of the places we drive). I've checked the reported mileage against the calculated mileage at fill-ups and it's always within 0.5MPG. You'll see people saying how much better their around-town mileage is, but I suspect they're driving in flatter areas with less starting and stopping. On the freeway, at 65-70MPH, I get about 29MPG.

My city mileage is a bit of a bummer, but I think it's more a matter of how/where I drive than the car. My CX-5 is getting pretty much the same city mileage my 2010 CRV AWD got, and the CRV was a few hundred pounds lighter (with a bit smaller engine). I could get maybe 31MPG on the highway with the CRV, but it could have been I was driving a bit slower because it was SO LOUD at freeway speeds.

Was just about to suggest that. I've been using that forever. Just went to lunch. 18.5, less then 1 mile roundtrip. Yea, that hurts overall numbers. And when you see it after every trip, you get a better understanding. There's also a setting to "Synch Avg with Trip A". This is your A Odometer. This makes it really easy to reset your MPG at any time.

I’ll have to look for that sync avg setting. Thanks for mentioning.

Good Morning ~

So far, I am only getting 21.5 miles per gallon around town. Seems a little off to me. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Typical. Nothing to worry about.
The gas mileage is a disappointment for many of us.

Will try, resetting. Haven't done that. Only have 175 miles on it so far. Thank you!

That is your problem. Your mileage won't settle till at least 3000-5000 miles. Is this your first new car?

Your mileage won't settle till at least 3000-5000 miles.

Totally agree with that. I am at about 1750 kms (1050 miles). My gas mileage has improved over the last month especially after the first 1,000 kms (600 miles). And to reiterate the point - it depends on how you drive, where you drive and how fast you drive. I'm expecting my fuel consumption to go up when I start to use AC.

Typical. Nothing to worry about.
The gas mileage is a disappointment for many of us.

Yep. I'm finally ok though. Averaging 26 to 27 on the daily. Why? I finally moved to a place where the practical and legal speed is under 70mph, and my daily commute is 27mi one way. Car gets warm, speed is low , stops are minimal. It's the cx5s wet dream regarding engine parameters. It's the only vehicle I've ever owned with this rigid a set of parameters. Every other vehicle has had no issue hitting EPA ratings on road trips or daily commute no matter what it consisted of. My z06 actually consistently beat EPA on the highway doing 75mph. Same for my Jeep Grand Cherokee w hemi.

Totally agree with that. I am at about 1750 kms (1050 miles). My gas mileage has improved over the last month especially after the first 1,000 kms (600 miles). And to reiterate the point - it depends on how you drive, where you drive and how fast you drive. I'm expecting my fuel consumption to go up when I start to use AC.

I wouldn't really worry about that. I didn't notice anything of that sort. They only real outside factors* that affected MPGs was gasoline quality (summer blend versus winter blend) and longer idling periods during colder winter months (waiting for the windshield to clear up).

* excluding factors such as driving style of city/highway %s.

I can speak for two brands I have experience with: mazda and Toyota. Mazda >>>> yota for real world mpg. If i owned a 6 I would be hitting 40+ mpg on my morning commute. With my CX-5 morning commutes around 33 mpg.
Cx5 is a city/urban utility. I never enjoyed its mpg or lack of power with passengers on the highway. For me it hits and meets EPA in all categories except highway in FWD configuration. AWD hits its EPA on a realistic basis for all categories. I might rent a 17 soon due to work and will see for myself but first gen 2.0 and 2.5L are great if you know how to play it.
Tire pressure has some impact on mpg #. That's the first thing I check. I also run moly.

I can speak for two brands I have experience with: mazda and Toyota. Mazda >>>> yota for real world mpg. If i owned a 6 I would be hitting 40+ mpg on my morning commute. With my CX-5 morning commutes around 33 mpg.
Cx5 is a city/urban utility. I never enjoyed its mpg or lack of power with passengers on the highway. For me it hits and meets EPA in all categories except highway in FWD configuration. AWD hits its EPA on a realistic basis for all categories. I might rent a 17 soon due to work and will see for myself but first gen 2.0 and 2.5L are great if you know how to play it.
Tire pressure has some impact on mpg #. That's the first thing I check. I also run moly.

What kind of fuel economy gains do you get from the moly?

I've got about 1000km's on my 2017. Gas mileage continues to improve, the first couple weeks I was averaging 18-19mpg and now I'm averaging 21. I have a 5 mile commute that has 9 traffic lights between home and work, so lots of stop and go. And lots of hills. So I think 21mpg is pretty good for my situation!

QUOTE=7eregrine;6575394]So your commute is nearly identical mine, 15 miles. And we're both at 21.5.
I'd say that's pretty damn consistent. [emoji39][emoji106][/QUOTE]

(crazy)(crazy)

My commute is 7 miles and I'm at 21.8...got you both beat. (lol2) I only have 800 miles on my 18.

Back