Gas Mileage on new cx 5

blaf2

:
cx 5
Good Morning ~

So far, I am only getting 21.5 miles per gallon around town. Seems a little off to me. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Good Morning ~

So far, I am only getting 21.5 miles per gallon around town. Seems a little off to me. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Understand your shift points.
For 16, 30 mph is when it moves to 5th gear. And that's the most fuel efficient speed. Also learn to use the downshift as a brake and it helps in many city situations. Lift foot off pedal and the car will slow down as it downshifts. Another good speed is 47 mph at 6th gear.
I avg 29 or 28 per tank. Avg speed is 30 mph with 18 miles each way and 1 school stop+ about 5-6 short runs a week (under 2 miles). Very happy with it. On highway the mpg is nowhere close to EPA.

Understand your shift points.
For 16, 30 mph is when it moves to 5th gear. And that's the most fuel efficient speed. Also learn to use the downshift as a brake and it helps in many city situations. Lift foot off pedal and the car will slow down as it downshifts. Another good speed is 47 mph at 6th gear.
I avg 29 or 28 per tank. Avg speed is 30 mph with 18 miles each way and 1 school stop+ about 5-6 short runs a week (under 2 miles). Very happy with it. On highway the mpg is nowhere close to EPA.

I will have to try the manual. It's funny you should say that because I was driving a stick prior to this and I actually miss down shifting to help slow down. So, if I'm driving 60 mph and I flip into manual, it will shift on it's own? It knows what gear it should go into? With the stick and the clutch you could shift from 5th to 3rd depending on the situation. Also, I have occasionally used the sport mode...experimenting. Uses more gas?

I will have to try the manual. It's funny you should say that because I was driving a stick prior to this and I actually miss down shifting to help slow down. So, if I'm driving 60 mph and I flip into manual, it will shift on it's own? It knows what gear it should go into? With the stick and the clutch you could shift from 5th to 3rd depending on the situation. Also, I have occasionally used the sport mode...experimenting. Uses more gas?

Stop.
This is nonsense. Sport mode does use a bit more, but otherwise, just drive it sensibly.

Several things at play here:

1: Engine break-in will take a few hundred miles. I know people claim this is BS, but it isn't, based on my experience with new cars and monitoring oil usage and emissions. Second, DRIVETRAIN breakin is happening too. The diffs and transmission gears are polishing each other.
2: Do you drive short trips? These engines absolutely DUMP fuel to warm the cats up fast and get light-off. It reminds me of my cammed up, no-emissions late 80's Mustang GT in the smell dept. on a cold crank, so if you are driving only 2-3 mi often times, then you're just driving around in the "fuel dump" phase pretty much, and if you're doing 5-8 miles at a time, you're still driving nearly half your time in that parameter...it's gonna SUCK!

I did this with my CX5, and got about 22.5mpg typically.

3: If you're doing over 60 on the freeway, this little motor doesn't do so hot at that efficiency wise. It's going to start at about 30mpg doing 60, and drop 1-2mpg every 5mph until you hit 75 or so, and from there plummets. My road trips typically happen at 70-85mph, and I average around 27mpg give/take on them. My vehicle is rated for 30 (2016 CX5 2.5 AWD).

Basically, if you're tooling around for 1-2 miles, and then hit the interstate and do 75, you've driven around town in the "dumping fuel" stage, and then taken the engine right out of its efficiency parameters as soon as THAT was over, by doing 75 on the freeway. It's going to do nothing but piss you off even after it's broken in, given this driving pattern. You need a V8, or at least a V6/I6, for these driving habits to return EPA ratings.

Look at it this way though, you're still only having to burn 87 octane, it's an SUV, and on road-trips you should do 26-28. Not bad really.

Funny thing, my other car (Volvo C70) has the EXACT same MPG listed in the dash calculator. It's my commute more then anything. 5 miles of city, 9 miles of highway... cars barely warmed up when I get in. HOWEVER, on a straight city drive, 30MPH, lots of lights I can consistently get HIGH 20's. Seriously. I've done it multiple times.

What you should try is to reset the counter before you get on the freeway. ThAT 21.5 METRIC IS PROBABLY SINCE DAY 1 YOU BOUGHT THE CAR IF YOU NEVER RESET IT. (acci-caps. not fixing)

Not short trips, not long trips...about 15 miles each way to work on a highway. Will modify my driving and give it some break in time! Is that a disadvantage of not having a turbo boost engine?

Going to try to convert the L/100k to MPG so here goes.

At the first few weeks when I got my new 18 GT back on Mid January, my average consumption after the first 2 full tanks gas were around 11L/100km or 21.38 mpg. As soon as I hit 1000 Kilometers or 621 Miles, it went down to 10L/100KM or 23.52 mpg. Now that I am over 3k Kilometers or 1864 Miles, I am averaging 9.1L/100km or 25.84 mpg. BTW this is from mixed of city driving (80% heavy traffic) and highway (20% barely). Trips is about 40-50km one way.

Hope this helps...

Going to try to convert the L/100k to MPG so here goes.

At the first few weeks when I got my new 18 GT back on Mid January, my average consumption after the first 2 full tanks gas were around 11L/100km or 21.38 mpg. As soon as I hit 1000 Kilometers or 621 Miles, it went down to 10L/100KM or 23.52 mpg. Now that I am over 3k Kilometers or 1864 Miles, I am averaging 9.1L/100km or 25.84 mpg. BTW this is from mixed of city driving (80% heavy traffic) and highway (20% barely). Trips is about 40-50km one way.

Hope this helps...

Thank you!

Not short trips, not long trips...about 15 miles each way to work on a highway. Will modify my driving and give it some break in time! Is that a disadvantage of not having a turbo boost engine?
So your commute is nearly identical mine, 15 miles. And we're both at 21.5.
I'd say that's pretty damn consistent. [emoji39][emoji106]

Last edited:
21.5 is bad no matter what. Unless you are in a sea of traffic and it take multiple light changes to clear an intersection.

To those who say short trip mpg on cx5 is bad, my second car is a camry and CX-5 beata it in short trips and mixed mpg. 21.5 for op under 1000 miles on odometer is not a problem but regular 21.5 is a sign something is wrong.

HI:

Brand new 2018 CX-5 GS with 2.5 litre engine. Mainly commuting up and down a multli-lane highway 25 kms (15 miles) each way with a bit of city driving in the mix. I have had as low as 7.5 L / 100 KM ( 31.4 MPG US) on an extended roadtrip of about 150 kms (90 miles). My current tank of gas is running at 8.4 L / 100 KM (29 MPG US). It might be better it I occasionally didn't need to floor it around the onramps to get out of the way.

I have found the secret to be to use the Mazda Radar Cruise Control. It better controls the gas that I do to really reduce the amount I need to use.

Back