2017+ Touring - Installed LED brakelights

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Just installed LED side brake light bulbs on my 2017 CX5 Touring. The LEDS are red in color output and put out 510 Lumens at full brake and 255 at driving mode at night. The 2017 Touring comes with an LED 3rd brake light but the sides are just clear halogen bulbs.

I must say, it makes a BIG DIFFERENCE. The light is more red than OEM (OEM bulb is clear and uses the red lens to get the red color) and much brighter in both modes and crisper than the OEM incandescent bulb. Simple mod and does the job.

Photos are tough to take properly with LEDs due to glare and such.

Here are 2 photos of before and after. I will try and take a nighttime picture later tonight.

Attachments

• Before LED.jpg
    Before LED.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 278
  • After LED.jpg
    After LED.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 290
Here are some AFTER pics. You can definetly tell the LEDs are brighter and redder than OEM halogens.

BTW - I also installed LED license plate lights.

Attachments

• Brake LEDs.jpg
    Brake LEDs.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Brake LEDs 2.jpg
    Brake LEDs 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Brake LEDs 3.jpg
    Brake LEDs 3.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 257
Do you have any link to this item on 'Diode Dynamics' website? I do not see Mazda CX-5 in their car filter.

I have a 2017 and used the 2016 inputs. The 2017 Touring uses the same tailight bulbs as the 2016.

I also got my interior LED lights and license plate LED lights from Diode Dynamics. Here is what you will need to replaced ALL interior lights:

2 Map Lights, 2 Rear Seat Lights = 4 x 31mm SMF6 LED Warm White
2 Vanity Lights = 28mm SMF1 LED Warm White
2 Plate Lights = 194 HP3 LED Pure White

The WARM white are easier on the eyes and work great on the interior. They are MUCH brighter than the OEM incandescent but still keep the nice tones. Exterior the PURE white are brighter and work great outside. I would avoid PURE white on the interior since they are very bright and you will light up the interior to be seen for miles away. In other words, when driving, you could blind the driver.

I have a 2017 and used the 2016 inputs. The 2017 Touring uses the same tailight bulbs as the 2016.

I also got my interior LED lights and license plate LED lights from Diode Dynamics. Here is what you will need to replaced ALL interior lights:

2 Map Lights, 2 Rear Seat Lights = 4 x 31mm SMF6 LED Warm White
2 Vanity Lights = 28mm SMF1 LED Warm White
2 Plate Lights = 194 HP3 LED Pure White

The WARM white are easier on the eyes and work great on the interior. They are MUCH brighter than the OEM incandescent but still keep the nice tones. Exterior the PURE white are brighter and work great outside. I would avoid PURE white on the interior since they are very bright and you will light up the interior to be seen for miles away. In other words, when driving, you could blind the driver.

Do the interior lights still fade out as the incandescent do?

Do the interior lights still fade out as the incandescent do?

Yes, they do.

One could not tell they are LED instead of incandescent since they are warm white. The biggest difference is the brightness of the LEDs. They are much brighter than the OEM bulbs. That's for sure. Plus they don't get hot and don't draw power like the OEMs.

Yes, they do.

One could not tell they are LED instead of incandescent since they are warm white. The biggest difference is the brightness of the LEDs. They are much brighter than the OEM bulbs. That's for sure. Plus they don't get hot and don't draw power like the OEMs.

Yes, I am a big fan for power and heat reasons. But you have to be careful using them for Turn signals - many LEDs use a resistor to mimic the power draw of an incandescent so that the flasher works properly. If you want LED turn signals, change the flasher unit instead of going with the Resistor bulbs - they require a large heat sink on the resistor.

Yes, I am a big fan for power and heat reasons. But you have to be careful using them for Turn signals - many LEDs use a resistor to mimic the power draw of an incandescent so that the flasher works properly. If you want LED turn signals, change the flasher unit instead of going with the Resistor bulbs - they require a large heat sink on the resistor.

I left the turn signals as is. The amber OEM turn signals are plenty bright plus the side mirror turn signals are already LED, even on the Touring.

Back