Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.

Thread: Problems Accelerating

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Problems Accelerating

I bought a 2003 Mazda Protege5 from my friend. When i got it there was a rough idle. The RPMs would flutter between 1000 and 0. I got the codes read at O'Riellys and got Random Misfire, Misfire in cylinder 3 and one i can't remember but it's only offered solution was to replace the Idle Air Control Valve so I ordered the part for 250 bucks. I used Sea Foam in the gas tank, break booster line, and used the Sea Foam Spray as directed. It helped but the RPMs fluttered less frequently but were still there. I replaced the coil packs and spark plugs. The idle stays consistent now and the check engine light has turned off. I noticed after I used the Sea Foam Spray my car isn't accelerating properly. When i took it to drive after leaving it for 15 minutes I had to press really hard on the gas pedal to drive. I can get up to highway speed but it's gradual and i basically have to push the pedal to the floor to reach 60mph. From stop to go is slow. I press the gas and the car doesn't move for at least 2-3 seconds. 0-20 in 20 seconds. The RPMs seem normal after 20mph but i still have to press the gas pedal down hard to maintain speed.

My questions are: should I get a refund on the Idle Air Control Valve since the check engine light has turned off. and some friends told me it seems like a vacuum leak or the transmission is slipping. What can I do to fix the acceleration?

long time mazda owner d0sitmatr's Avatar

2003 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Syd729 View Post
    I bought a 2003 Mazda Protege5 from my friend. When i got it there was a rough idle. The RPMs would flutter between 1000 and 0. I got the codes read at O'Riellys and got Random Misfire, Misfire in cylinder 3 and one i can't remember but it's only offered solution was to replace the Idle Air Control Valve so I ordered the part for 250 bucks. I used Sea Foam in the gas tank, break booster line, and used the Sea Foam Spray as directed. It helped but the RPMs fluttered less frequently but were still there. I replaced the coil packs and spark plugs. The idle stays consistent now and the check engine light has turned off. I noticed after I used the Sea Foam Spray my car isn't accelerating properly. When i took it to drive after leaving it for 15 minutes I had to press really hard on the gas pedal to drive. I can get up to highway speed but it's gradual and i basically have to push the pedal to the floor to reach 60mph. From stop to go is slow. I press the gas and the car doesn't move for at least 2-3 seconds. 0-20 in 20 seconds. The RPMs seem normal after 20mph but i still have to press the gas pedal down hard to maintain speed.

My questions are: should I get a refund on the Idle Air Control Valve since the check engine light has turned off. and some friends told me it seems like a vacuum leak or the transmission is slipping. What can I do to fix the acceleration?
    you can easily tell if the trans is slipping as the RPM will go sky high even while your barely moving, if you havent noticed that, then I highly doubt its a slipping trans.
    sounds like a massive power loss. I dont know what to tell you there, but Im sure there are some on here who should be able to help.