2007 CX-9 Airbag Code 16

MikeJ

:
2007 CX-9 Sport
My wife's CX-9 is giving us airbag code 16 (a flash followed by a pause followed by 6 flashes followed by a long pause, repeat). I've read that some vehicles will flash the sequence a certain number of times and then just stay illuminated, but ours continues to flash endlessly. I have done an extensive search and the only thing that I have been able to find that is close to helping is on a 2008 this code is for a "seat weight sensor calibration error". Does anyone know if the 2007 and 2008 codes are the same? Is it possible to DIY the fix or do I need to bring it in to the dealer? Thanks.

Mike J

Don't know if applies to you or not but I came across this on a different forum.

The most common problem on Mazdas in my experience is the passenger seat weight sensor losing calibration then throwing a code for a negative seat weight.

If the light comes on/off in relation to seat slider position, there may be crap on your seat track position sensor. There is an optical sensor that reads a notch or hole on the seat frame slider... could be a bent bracket, rivet loose from the sensor, or something wedged or broken there. Could be the sensor itself too... I'd check the wiring between the seat track position sensor and the bulkhead connector for the seat to the floor harness as well.

Last edited:
Back