Where to tap into Daytime Running Lights?

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Can someone show a diagram or direct me to where I can find the wires to tap into the daytime running lights for a 2017 CX5 Touring.

I am running an LED light strip and I want the strip to power on when the vehicle turns on and the LED daytime running lights come on automatically.

It's a positive and negative connection on the LED strip.

DRLs nowadays are not as easy as most people think be activated by a single 12V power source. Your 2017 CX-5 Touring uses the same LED headlights and inner dedicated LEDs as the DRLs. You may not be able to find a single 12V wire feeding those by DRL control module, instead the module may send a 5V signal to the headlight units and the circuitry inside then turn on the DRLs. In any event the easiest way for you is to tap a switched 12V power source at fuse box such as those feeding audio system or switched USB or cigarette lighter auxiliary power sockets. It should serve you similar to DRLs.

DRLs nowadays are not as easy as most people think be activated by a single 12V power source. Your 2017 CX-5 Touring uses the same LED headlights and inner dedicated LEDs as the DRLs. You may not be able to find a single 12V wire feeding those by DRL control module, instead the module may send a 5V signal to the headlight units and the circuitry inside then turn on the DRLs. In any event the easiest way for you is to tap a switched 12V power source at fuse box such as those feeding audio system or switched USB or cigarette lighter auxiliary power sockets. It should serve you similar to DRLs.

So would I tap into a fuse box circuit that's already there or a vacant one?

Any online pics on how to tap into a 12v power source at the fuse box?

Anyone know which fuse to tap into that controls the daytime running lights?

I am thinking of tapping into FUSE 36 (fog lights)

Last edited:
Lbear, it's almost 3 years since I installed my aftermarket LED "drl's" above the fog lights.I recall having difficulty getting them to work trying to tap into the drl fuse.What I did was (using the fuse box under the hood atop the drivers side fender) I used fuse taps and took power from the location marked "meter 1" which is 10 A and 4th from the bottom on the left hand column of fuses.(See inside of fuse panel lid for labeling).This powers your gauges/instrument panel so the leds come on when ignition is on and stay on until shutoff.
Also, tapped into fuse marked "H/L low etc." 15 A located 3rd from the bottom in the 2nd from left column of fuses.This is a control wire that dims the leds when the headlights are on.I tried to get the other control wire to make the led blink with my turn signals(yea what was I thinkin') but had no luck trying different things and just tied that wire up unused.
If I can figure out how to post a few pictures I will. *******NOTE********** the fuse taps have the appropriate fuse as mentioned (10& 15A respectively but also have a 5A fuse to protect the control box. I love them as being brighter than the stock drl's they give added visibility to other drivers since my liquid silver looks kinda grey and blends in with the road somewhat. Good luck. Jmaz

pics of Jmaz LED power taps and LED's

0305181325-00.jpg0305181325-02.jpg0305181326-00.jpg0305181327-00.jpg

Pardon the crappy phone pics and the one with sunlight glare but you get the idea.There's better pics online.
Also note a notch cut in the side of the box for the red wires. Adios!

Last edited:
pics of Jmaz LED power taps and LED's

View attachment 218698View attachment 218699View attachment 218700View attachment 218701

Pardon the crappy phone pics and the one with sunlight glare but you get the idea.There's better pics online.
Also note a notch cut in the side of the box for the red wires. Adios!
Hello @Jmaz! I have the same ones but got them professionally installed. Anyway, are your LED's still working? I got mine March 2019 and now the bulbs are going out after about 2 full years.

Hello @Jmaz! I have the same ones but got them professionally installed. Anyway, are your LED's still working? I got mine March 2019 and now the bulbs are going out after about 2 full years.
I think 2 years is a decent time for aftermarket LEDs, especially if you have them constantly on as DRLs.

Aftermarket LEDs have none or poor heatsinks, so they will burn out.

For example, how long do your household LED bulbs last? Most don't last much longer than incandescent bulbs because of poor heat control.

The LED DRL's referred to in my posts #6, 7 above are still working fine. The LED housings themselves are aluminum and are attached to the black plastic piece that replaces the original and may (IIRC) have fins on the backside for cooling. Relying on memory, the country of origin is Taiwan and I paid around $ 100 for them as a kit consisting of 2 light assemblies, control module and custom fit wiring harness. The custom harness was a blessing when it came to installation. The instructions were decent also. The fuse taps and extra fuses were purchased locally.
If they ever fail, they'll get replaced again. To me it's a safety feature because of the almost gray looking Liquid Silver color which blends into the road more and the rather dim stock halogen DRL's. Other cars notice my LED's and are less apt to pull out in front of me. Notice I said cars. Pickup trucks are another story. And pickup truck drivers (some anyway) around here are a story for another time.

Last edited:
Back