Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange gas issue...need help

2003 Protege5

I actually think my mileage is about the same, but the symptoms appear sooner. I used to be able to go to about an 1/8 of a tank, then about a 1/4, and now about 3/8. I also am putting in less gallons when I'm filling up, so I know it's happening at higher fuel levels, not just the gauge going derpy. I usually get worse gas mileage in the winter here, but it's starting to warm up so I expect to be back in the low to mid 30s soon. Wintertime driving usually lowers to high 20s. It was the same in my ES too.
    Warburrito
    03 Protege5 manual (blue) - just bought in April 2015...mods to come
    01 Protege ES manual (tan) - SELLING with over 247k miles and still running -Custom CAI, Mazdapeed lowering springs, Nitto Motivos (best tires ever) on Mazda6 rims w spacers and longer bolts to fit
    93 Ford Probe GT manual (silver) - SOLD with over 200k miles and was still running - Fisk Phantom tires on stock rims, best year for PGT as interior design was way better and car was lighter with only drivers side airbag and no reinforcements in the doors
    94 Ford Probe GT manual (black) - SOLD with over 200k miles and was still running

2002 mazda protege 5

Well, I just replaced my gas tank.
    My old one sprung a leak and I wasn't going to spring for a $400-$500 OEM one and went with Rockauto's version.

There was two to pick from but the more expensive one specifically mentioned it had "sump baffles" so I wentwith that one even though it cost $98 to ship and the cheaper one only cost $42 to ship.. ??? I didn't need it in two days,.. 6 would have been fine but it wasn't an option, so I ended up spending $316 Canadian all in.

What a dirty disgusting rusty messy job... And I broke my damn rusted exhaust while trying to disconnect it.
    Rockauto wants about $700 for an exhaust including the catalytic converter but that's a big pile of money to put into a $200 car, so I used my Macgyver skills with $27 worth of high temp silicone, clamps and couplers and fixed 'er up real good !!

Now to run it down to 1/4 tank and see what happens...
    It does have baffles inside but they are metal and are tack welded in.. The original was all plastic and looked different.
    I'm worried I might have to keep it above 1/4 or 1/3 a tank, if that's the case I should have just got the cheaper tank and saved $100...

I remember when I first got my car and I bought new shocks for the rear hatch. I spent $200.
    Those days are gone and now I'm just trying to keep it alive.

I'll bet my gas and brake lines are next to rust out but I may still fix that myself... They have new brake lines that are made out of copper and bend really easily without kinking, they flare really easy and they don't rust. They also have plastic fuel lines too that can be used.

Let the palliative care continue !!!

I really do like my car... I hope I can keep it going for a few more years.
    And in only 4 years it will be a "classic" so it no longer needs an e-test so I can pollute all I want !!!
    Last edited by pcb; 05-19-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

protege5

Don't you have a spare parts car? Why not take the tank out of it, have an OEM tank and save a few hundred bucks?

That looks like a lot of mess for an exhaust fix lol. I would have just bought a $2 piece of tube and welded it on as a patch

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    Don't you have a spare parts car? Why not take the tank out of it, have an OEM tank and save a few hundred bucks?
    Because my parts car is a rusted out piece of crap too...
    (as to be expected,... It's a parts car)
    Even if the tank hasn't rusted through yet it probably will in the middle of winter when I can't work on my car.
    Last edited by pcb; 05-21-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

That looks like a lot of mess for an exhaust fix lol. I would have just bought a $2 piece of tube and welded it on as a patch
    I can't weld for shit,..
    I have a little 120V stick welder but all I do is burn holes.

I wanted to do this myself without driving to the shop with no exhaust or towing charge.

$27 CDN for exhaust couplers, muffler clamps and Copper 700F high heat silicone...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

I drove my car down to 1/4 tank and everything seems to be working well.
    I guess my baffles are working because I did a bunch of left and right turns and no stalling.
    I'm gonna take it down to when the fuel light comes on to make sure everything is working properly.

My aftermarket tank is a Spectra Premium, if anyone needs to replace a fuel tank.

2002 mazda protege 5

I drove my car until the fuel light came on today and noticed nothing wrong or any stumbling/stalling.
    I'm happy with my aftermarket gas tank and glad I spent the extra $85 on what appears to be a better built tank.

Registered Member

protege5

I still can't comprehend this "rust" you're always talking about. I'll try and take a picture underneath my car, but there isn't a speck of rust anywhere on it. Plenty of mud, some dandelions, sticks shoved where they probably shouldn't be lol but none of this "rust".

When I got it there was a little surface rust between the roof rack and the door in that little ~2 inch space where the previous owner had a bike rack or something and it rubbed the paint off. I just used some 600 grit by hand, and about 5 minutes to clean the brown stuff off so it was shiny metal. Then a little rattle can love with some white spraypaint to "match". it's not a perfect match, but it's an old car with a ton of miles, and i live on a dirt road so it's never clean anyway so you can't even tell.

2002 mazda protege 5

When I went to Krown to get it sprayed he poked his spray wand in the frame rail and said he was hitting the carpet...
    I said I don't care... Hose it down...
    At least I know my carpet won't rust...

2002 mazda protege 5

I still can't comprehend this "rust" you're always talking about...

This isn't my car but it is a P5...

2002 mazda protege 5

I filled my car up today and ran the pump till the handle shut off. When I got back in my car the needle didn't go all the way to full,.. It was a bit below the full line and it used to go past it.
    I did have the pump running full snort so next time I'll fill it at half speed and see if more goes in.

I didn't want to put any more in after the pump shut off because of the problems that can cause so we'll see what happens next time.

Registered Member

protege5

20180529_151959.jpg20180529_151946.jpg20180529_152019.jpg20180529_152048.jpg

Lot of mud caked under there, which does still suck when you're working on it and get a shower of dirt/sand in your ears, nose, etc. But still better than fighting the fur your car seems to be growing. ch-ch-ch-chia!

The exhaust, as with any car has the surface stuff on it. But everything else that's brown is just... mud

2002 mazda protege 5

I can't even use my jacking points anymore... They are all crunched in and squashed...

The jack would crunch right through the damn floor.

2002 mazda protege 5

I forgot to update...

My car is working fine. I've realized that I can fill my tank at full snort till the handle shuts off, then I fill at about half speed till it shuts off again.
    It fills the tank full without over filling the tank.

I don't know how or why this is happening but it's no big deal and I get a full tank of gas and I have no worries about running it down till the fuel light comes on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12