VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange gas issue...need help

2003 Protege5

Strange gas issue...need help

So I have a weird fuel delivery issue in my protege5 with about 220k miles. When I get around 1/3 of a tank my engine starts misfiring and occasionally losing all power. This gets worse when I take left-hand turns. When I bought the vehicle the seller told me he had replaced the gas tank. I've tried putting seafoam in the tank but that did nothing. What do you guys think my next step should be? Do I need to replace the fuel pump or could it just be mounted wonky?

Thanks
    Warburrito
    03 Protege5 manual (blue) - just bought in April 2015...mods to come
    01 Protege ES manual (tan) - SELLING with over 247k miles and still running -Custom CAI, Mazdapeed lowering springs, Nitto Motivos (best tires ever) on Mazda6 rims w spacers and longer bolts to fit
    93 Ford Probe GT manual (silver) - SOLD with over 200k miles and was still running - Fisk Phantom tires on stock rims, best year for PGT as interior design was way better and car was lighter with only drivers side airbag and no reinforcements in the doors
    94 Ford Probe GT manual (black) - SOLD with over 200k miles and was still running

2002 mazda protege 5

hpmaxim has the same issue ... It's his aftermarket gas tank.
    The baffles inside the tank aren't working (or maybe not even present) and his fuel pump gets starved for fuel.
    He bought a used OEM gas tank he intends to install.

Fuel starvation is really hard on the fuel pump and wears it out... You may need to replace it depending on how many times it's run dry.
    Last edited by pcb; 02-27-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    The Diagram Dude

2003 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    hpmaxim has the same issue ... It's his aftermarket gas tank.
    The baffles inside the tank aren't working (or maybe not even present) and his fuel pump gets starved for fuel.
    He bought a used OEM gas tank he intends to install.

Fuel starvation is really hard on the fuel pump and wears it out... You may need to replace it depending on how many times it's run dry.
    Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't even thought about that.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

Here's a couple of pictures of my baffles from when I changed my fuel filter...

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

Sounds like a weak fuel pump. I’d suggest always keeping your tank past 1/3.

2003 Protege5

Maybe I will replace the fuel pump then, because it has gotten worse...I used to be able to go about 350 miles before I noticed it, then 300, now if I go past 250 I can notice it. Any fuel pump recommendations for a mostly stock P5 motor? I just have headers, intake, and MP3 ECU. I'm not going for performance, just general quality and reasonable price.

2002 mazda protege 5

The best thing to do would be to replace the gas tank but keeping the gas above 1/3 tank would work as well.

It doesn't make sense to me that you're getting fewer and fewer miles before sucking air into the fuel pump unless your driving habits have changed and you're cornering harder and harder on left turns, sloshing the gas away from the pump.

You don't necessarily have a weak pump, just one that keeps sucking air,... If your car drives fine on a full tank with no issues then your pump is probably still OK.

A weak pump would show symptoms whether you have a full tank or 1/4 tank.

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

Not necessarily. A pump can work well until it starts to work harder due to lack of fuel in the tank. My Nissan was like that. It seems like his pump is getting weaker but itís should last considerably longer as long as OP keeps the tank full.

2002 mazda protege 5

Either way, he would need to keep a close eye on the fuel level and keep it above 1/3 tank especially if he spends the money on a new fuel pump.

Apparently going with an original OEM supplier of the fuel pump is a good idea...
    I think that's Denso but I'm not sure ??

Consider replacing you fuel pump housing/high pressure filter while you're in there...

Those are Canadian prices... You guys pay about 3/4 of that.

2003 Protege5

Awesome info! Thanks guys!

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Warburrito View Post
    ...I used to be able to go about 350 miles before I noticed it, then 300, now if I go past 250 I can notice it...
    What about your fuel gauge ?? Is it starting to happen at half a tank now ??
    Last edited by pcb; 03-01-2018 at 08:03 AM.

2002 mazda protege 5

hpmaxim paid $50 for a used OEM gas tank.
    He didn't like having to keep it above 1/4 tank (yea, it was 1/4 tank for him).

His fuel pump is wearing out and he has a hard time starting it now.

2003 Protege5

Maybe I'll check car-parts.com for one. It sure sounds like that's the root problem. Fuel pump issues are a side-effect.

2002 mazda protege 5

Changing your fuel tank is a big, expensive and dangerous job but that is the only way to make it right.

I sure hope in ever have to do mine. Its nasty under there.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Warburrito View Post
    ...I used to be able to go about 350 miles before I noticed it, then 300, now if I go past 250 I can notice it...
    If what you're saying is that it used to go 350 miles to get to 1/3 tank and now it's only 250 to get to 1/3, then that's a separate issue, which "could" be a worn pump with low pressure but there's other things to consider too.

Start with a new air filter... Cheap and easy and first on the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast