What is the optimum tire pressure?

New18CX5

:
2018 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring Premier
What is the optimum tire pressure? I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT with toyo a36 225/55r/19's The door sticker say 35psi, Than I read stories that 40 is ideal. For those of you who especially have the 2017 CX-5s. What tire psi have you found to be the best?

Any Mazda owner can chime in.

I run mine up a few but its up to you really just maintain 35 min cold and you'll be fine. I personally wouldn't breach 40 but I'd rather them 5 high than 5 low. Higher pressure will firm the ride up and you may see slightly better fe but also provide somewhat less traction in wet/winter conditions (I switch to 17s on winters) also sharpens steering response..on gen1 with a23 Toyos for 3 seasons I found 38 to be the sweet spot for me but its pretty subjective. See you're in fl so winter not really a concern..you can go up to 40 see how like it and adjust them down from there..

Last edited:
I found riding high on the Toyo's made them too stiff and prone to squealing in corners at times. But those tires harden after awhile.

There is wiggle room here, and there are so many other variables at play here as well. For my Mazda's, and usage, I almost always find my happy spot is at 2psi above factory. For the Mazda CX-5, all 3 of ours have had the same 17" YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR tires, 34psi was recommended, and I ran 36 psi in all of them.

I imagine somewhere in the 35-40psi Range is where you would want to stay. 35-36psi for comfort and keeping close to factory specs, maybe increase to 38-40psi if you were fully loaded down or doing some towing.

Hopefully some of our friends from outside USA can tell us what the factory recommends in their own country and tire size.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I’m reading this. They spend millions testing vehicles along with the tyre manufacturer. All the different systems are set up for the correct pressure. And yet, so many seem justified in changing them. If they quoted 2psi under optimum would that help? You could then play about and maybe guess it right.

I can’t believe I’m reading this. They spend millions testing vehicles along with the tyre manufacturer. All the different systems are set up for the correct pressure. And yet, so many seem justified in changing them. If they quoted 2psi under optimum would that help? You could then play about and maybe guess it right.

I personally have tried my tires at both 34 and 36 and I liked how they felt and drove at 36 better.

I personally have tried my tires at both 34 and 36 and I liked how they felt and drove at 36 better.

That's the key. Some people like it a little firmer. If you stay within a few psi of recommended, it won't hurt anything. Just a few.
If it feels good, do it.

The answer is 42. Always 42.

But if you don't like that, I would stick with 35-36. My 2014 says 36.

It’s a placebo effect. I absolutely guarantee that nobody but the tyres can detect 2psi variation in pressure. Under inflated will wear the shoulders, increase fuel consumption and adversely effect handling and over inflation will wear the crown and adversely effect handling.

What do they recommend for your size tire in the UK? Do you have a door decal or placard as well?

I cant believe Im reading this. They spend millions testing vehicles along with the tyre manufacturer. All the different systems are set up for the correct pressure. And yet, so many seem justified in changing them. If they quoted 2psi under optimum would that help? You could then play about and maybe guess it right.

They're also telling us we can now change our oil at 10,000 miles. I am just curious what other Mazda owners are doing. I'm a first time Mazda owner. As some quoted, like a firmer ride others a smoother ride. Some are trying to tweak MPG. What's so hard to believe?

They're also telling us we can now change our oil at 10,000 miles. I am just curious what other Mazda owners are doing. I'm a first time Mazda owner. As some quoted, like a firmer ride others a smoother ride. Some are trying to tweak MPG. What's so hard to believe?

Since this is a direct injection engine I would stick with 5k oil changes using a brand name synthetic oil if you short trip much. If your driving is mostly highway then 7500 miles is a good number. While the SkyActiv engine does not seem to have the fuel dilution issues of other GDI engines, it’s still there. Always use a dexos1 Generation 2 oil.

Since this is a direct injection engine I would stick with 5k oil changes using a brand name synthetic oil if you short trip much. If your driving is mostly highway then 7500 miles is a good number. While the SkyActiv engine does not seem to have the fuel dilution issues of other GDI engines, its still there. Always use a dexos1 Generation 2 oil.

YouTube auto reviewer Savageese owned a mazda 3, changed oil on a brand new car with mazda moly. Sent it in for analysis at 15k miles. Reply from the lab was that sample looked great - next time send it after 18k miles. And most importantly he tracked the 3-still oul looked great. you are not abusing the cx5, 10k is pretty safe on mazda moly. 7.5 k for regular synthetic. Keep in mind he sent the oil sample in for full analysis instead of guesswork. I change every 7k miles. Will switch to 10k soon as engine gets older.

Search for Savageese+vlog 21 to see the video on YouTube.

Last edited:
I try to run factory 36 PSI cold. The important thing is the PSI when COLD, so best to do it at home when the car has been sitting idle. I normally have to drive to a servo to pump up my tires but will need to factor in the heat generated on the tires from the drive to the station. My understanding is that lower PSI mean the tires will have more contact on the patch of the road which means more tire wear, lower rolling resistance etc. Too high a PSI will be harder ride etc. Just need to find a happy medium therefore factory recommendation.

Back