Squeaky clutch pedal & Corksport bushings

Rage941

:
2003 Mazda protege ES 5 speed
So I did the 4 corksport bushings and now my clutch pedal is squeaking. Is this coincidence? Did I tighten something too much? The whole linkage assembly by the transmission was caked in white creamy stuff (not grease, it was a cream consistency) and a lot of that came off while doing the job. Do you think the two are related?

I'm also concerned about how tight/not tight the nuts and bolts are. I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight (reviews say it's accurate enough, it just may not last very long) and I was unable to get the torque wrench on the transmission side linkage. I had it set to 14ft lbs (corksport says 12-16) and was using it on the shifter side linkage but the wrench never clicked (to stop tightening) and it was getting very tight feeling. I felt the shifter and it would not move at all so I backed it off some, now the shifter moves but I'm still hesitant that it may be a little on the tight side.

Not relevant to my question, but on a side note I'm very disappointed that my shifter is still super sloppy because I guess it needs the 3rd link fixed/replaced too. I don't have a drill press so I guess I'll be paying someone to do that and the frustrating thing is if they're doing that it would have taken them no extra time/cost to install the other bushings while they're at it and would save me the trouble. I had a terrible time getting the bolt through the linkage for the shifter once I had the bronze bushings in. The fork was fit on there so tight that it wasn't lined up and I couldn't get both holes lined up to get the bolt through. (I did have the bushings in the freezer for 24 hours and I didn't have way to spread the fork to make it easier). So I spent like 3 hours under there and now not only am I very sore, I got some debris in my eye and now it hurts and I'm really concerned about that and urgent care is closed. So my fingers are crossed and hopefully it will feel like it's getting better tomorrow and won't get infected...and it all feels like it was for nothing because the shifter is still sloppy. Sorry just had to vent some.

Last edited:
Here's a picture to keep things a little bit interesting
IMG_3633.jpg

Back