Racing Beat Rear Swaybar Questions

Riot_Polizei

Comp Engineering Student
:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys, I need to get a few things cleared up before I empty my wallet. I did search for some definitive answers, but didn't get any.

I know that the RB rear swaybar will not fit a P5 on stock endlinks, and as a result, you have to buy adjustable/ES endlinks (the non-"sport suspension" ones).

Here's the confusion: Do you absolutely need the AWR rear swaybar brackets?

If so, which one?

Designated for the P5, but the RB swaybar on a P5 needs ES endlinks: http://store.awrracing.com/sway-bar-bracket-for-19-21-5mm-bars-replacement/

Designated for MP3/MSP/ES, but if I need ES endlinks, shouldn't this work?: http://store.awrracing.com/sway-bar-bracket-for-19-21-5mm-mp3-bars-replacement/

I feel like looking up this info and reading the responses to the how-to thread (https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?68155-How-To-Racing-Beat-rear-Sway-bar-on-P5-ES) left me a little uncertain of myself.

Is that just for the RB sway bar? Otherwise i'll just get another brand if that's the case. I recently changed all 4 endlinks so I don't feel like getting new ones.

Yes, just for the RB sway bar. I already own it, and it's just been sitting around, waiting for me to get my car set up for it.

I'm unsure about whether or not I need the brackets, and if I do need them, which ones would fit.

Yes, just for the RB sway bar. I already own it, and it's just been sitting around, waiting for me to get my car set up for it.

I'm unsure about whether or not I need the brackets, and if I do need them, which ones would fit.

Oh ok cool then I'll snag a different one lol

Hold on man, would you know whether or not I need brackets?

I'm looking for answers here.

Here's the confusion: Do you absolutely need the AWR rear swaybar brackets?.

No you don't. You can get away with using Energy Suspension bushings and brackets. When I installed mine years back, I used the 19mm ones from Energy. The reason is, they only have sizes 20.5mm or 19mm. I tried the 20.5 but was a bit too loose. The 19mm worked just fine. However, you will have to bend them to fit as they are flat from Energy. Also Kingfab6 has these pre-bent but their website seems to have been hacked or something so no link. Try and call them if you want.
Some old crappy pics for ya.
RSRSB%20001.jpg

RSRSB%20002.jpg

Hold on man, would you know whether or not I need brackets?

I'm looking for answers here.

No, sorry. Which is why I haven't purchased a sway bar and having other things needing replacement on the car. I understand, I'm also looking for answers since ill be doing the same thing at some point.

The MSP/MP3 racing beat brackets will fit the stock subframe, but it is best to swap the reinforced MSP subframe when you do the bar.

hornsfan, what (or where) exactly is the difference in the subframe? Can the P5 subframe be modified to MSP spec?

There is an extra piece of metal welded into the subframe where the swaybar brackets bolt on. I think that is the only difference. In all honesty the stock subframe will probably be fine, but I swapped the whole thing when I did my RB rear bar.

Ah, thanks a lot sk8r! That definitely points me in a direction, for sure. I woud've replied earlier, but man I've been ravaged by a nasty flu.

Ultimately, I'll buy some ES Moog endlinks and test fit my sway bar. I practically have everything minus the white lithium grease, so I'll be able to get some results soon.

Who knows, maybe I'll make an addendum to the swaybar how-to guide I linked here.

Back