2017 Front Grill Replacement

dulanypeters

:
Car Coming Soon!
Somebody backed into my car while it was parked and damaged the front grill in a bunch of places....It's plastic (I think) so there is no repairing it. It's a full replacement. It's not the entire front end...just the grill area (the rest of the front/nose is still fine).

It's probably not worth calling in insurance b/c I a 2500 deductible and I'm guessing the replacement is less...I hope.

Anybody had to do this repair and have an estimate on parts/labor for such a thing (at a Mazda dealer)?

The car is a 2017 Signature.

Thx

Im not sure but many times nowadays the grille is integrated into the whole nose/number assembly. Hopefully for you Im wrong on this when it comes to the CX-9.

A few days ago my 16 year old daughter rubbed the corner of her right front bumper against the rear left corner of a 2017 Acura MDX, cost to fix just the Acura is $1708(!). Good luck!

Somebody backed into my car while it was parked and damaged the front grill in a bunch of places....It's plastic (I think) so there is no repairing it. It's a full replacement. It's not the entire front end...just the grill area (the rest of the front/nose is still fine).

It's probably not worth calling in insurance b/c I a 2500 deductible and I'm guessing the replacement is less...I hope.

Anybody had to do this repair and have an estimate on parts/labor for such a thing (at a Mazda dealer)?

Thx

Perhaps none of my business but why is your deductible $2,500! That's nuts. Should have no more than a $500 deductible on a nice new car. Wouldn't add all that much to your premium and if you can afford a CX-9 Signature I just don't see getting the cheapest insurance. These types of things under $2500 will always come out of your pocket now. No savings there.

Thx

I'm assuming this is hit and run?

I wouldn't go to the Mazda dealer. I'd go to a local body shop--unless your Mazda dealer has their own body shop, which most dealers don't, they are just going to farm it out anyway. Any body shop will give you a free estimate on the spot; you just tell them you aren't going thru ins (I actually have to do the same thing with my '12).

Ouch! That'll be expensive assuming replacement of the grille since the Signature has that integrated LED lighting at lower front grille...not much of any help here as I don't have any experience replacing/repairing it but I would inquire with the parts website for Mazda accessories at least you can order it directly than going thru a dealer which would charge their markup as well (on top of labour etc.) / As mentioned by JPL yeah a $2500 deductible seems steep...my insurance only has a deductible of $300 so if that happened to me then a no brainer to just claim it.

Don't know the extent of the damage since you didn't post pictures, but if the grille is just pushed in a bit, it might just be that a clip or two broke or came loose and could be repaired, maybe take it to an auto body shop and get their opinion.
If replacement is needed, There are at least 5 grilles (used) on eBay right now from $250-$450 shipped. I would imagine a brand new grille from Mazda would easily run at least 1K just for the grille itself.

Here is one of them.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

You might want to consider a used grille and have an auto body shop install it for you if you don't feel confident you can install it yourself.

Last edited:
Based on that image of the ebay auction I would say that the bumper has to come off to replace the grill. More than likely a series of bolts and clips holding it on from the back. I just had a similar issue with my Audi that warranted grill replacement and it was absolutely necessary to remove the grill. You'll also have to transfer any emblems, badges and etc... to the new one from the old one.

I need to do the same thing to my wife's 2007. I can get the part from rockauto.com for under $60, but the 2017's are out of stock and they don't have a price listed. I'm sure you could call and get a quote. I'm not sure what the dealer would charge, but if you are not a do-it-yourselfer you might want to get the part and find an independent mechanic to do it for you.

Mike J

Thanks for the replies...I believe it's a $600 or so job at the dealer (i called/sent them photos).

It's just the top portion of the grill...the grill is two parts (it's not the bottom, near the bumper). Also, the grill wraps around the badge/emblem so the emblem and sensors were not damaged.

My deductible is $1000 (not $2500). But I don't want to go any lower as the premiums go up and having car insurance in New York City is already an expensive endeavor.i

Yes, it was a hit and run. But my insurance would raise my rates if I reported this.

Back