Rusted Rotors

EvansMazda

:
2016 Mazda6 GT
Does anyone have any remedies for rust on the rotors? Brought my 2016 6 gt in for a checkup after I noticed my car shook violently on stopping, along with a grinding sound from the wheels, they said brakes are good but rotors were "rusted". The options they gave me were grinding the rust off for $195 and risk ruining the rotor, or completely replace the rotors at $495 an axle. I've read online about soaking the rotors in vinegar but I'm not a mechanic by any means is there any remedy anyone can suggest that doesn't involve me physically removing the rotors?

Also as a side note also had my 30,000 miles service done... $600..ridiculous.

Uh.. what? Have you Been parking outside for extended periods of time or something?

Uh.. what? Have you Been parking outside for extended periods of time or something?
The mechanic asked the same question. I drive it every day, 5 days a week it's a 70 mile round trip commite, the other 2 days I usually just drive around town but I have never let the car sit for extended periods.

The mechanic asked the same question. I drive it every day, 5 days a week it's a 70 mile round trip commite, the other 2 days I usually just drive around town but I have never let the car sit for extended periods.

Thats very strange and totally abnormal. Can you post a pic of your brakes? Youre probably gonna have to get your brakes resurfaced. I would recommend you take the car to a good mechanic who will put everything back carefully and properly. Its possible that your brakes were put on unevenly in the factory. Unlikely, but I see it happen all the time. The vinegar thing could also work.

I remember on my BMW, there was some rust on the rear rotors. Mechanic said that the calipers were lacking brake grease and not clamping onto the rotor properly. I would ask your mechanic to do a caliper lube/service along with the brake resurface.

do you live in a state that snows/uses salt during the winter? $200 to resurface a brake rotor is ridiculous. $500 per rotor is even more ridiculous. you mention a grinding noise and brake vibration... do you brake aggressively or hard?

Last edited:
do you live in a state that snows/uses salt during the winter? $200 to resurface a brake rotor is ridiculous. $500 per rotor is even more ridiculous. you mention a grinding noise and brake vibration... do you brake aggressively or hard?
I lived in upstate ny for the 1st year of ownership and am currently in virginia so yes to road salt. It has 33,000 miles on it. None of past cars in upstate ny winters ever had rust problems. I brake as early and lightly as possible and avoid slamming on them.

I lived in upstate ny for the 1st year of ownership and am currently in virginia so yes to road salt. It has 33,000 miles on it. None of past cars in upstate ny winters ever had rust problems. I brake as early and lightly as possible and avoid slamming on them.

I have 60k miles on my mazda 6, I live in a very salty area (Toronto) and I have no experienced any sort of issues with my brakes. Just remember to ask your mechanic to lube the sliding pins. That should fix your problem.

A picture of your rotors would be helpful.

On a side note - its good that you have good braking habits, but occasionally doing a hard firm stop (without locking the tires or coming to a complete stop) will noticeably improve pedal firmness/smoothness by wearing the pad evenly. Maybe this can help in your case but we need pics.

On a side note - it’s good that you have good braking habits, but occasionally doing a hard firm stop (without locking the tires or coming to a complete stop) will noticeably improve pedal firmness/smoothness by wearing the pad evenly. Maybe this can help in your case but we need pics.
I'll get a pic today

You may as well invest in some better quality stuff if you work on your car.

That's true of any car you work on.
I did my own brakes on my (now gone) 2006 Altima.
Had to replace the rear calipers, rotors, pads, etc., and the front rotors and pads, and didn't want to put a lot of money into it.
I bought cheap Canadian Tire crap, and boy, did they ever last a long time....NOT.
Rotors, calipers rusted like crazy within 6 months.
Good thing I got rid of it.

On a side note - it’s good that you have good braking habits, but occasionally doing a hard firm stop (without locking the tires or coming to a complete stop) will noticeably improve pedal firmness/smoothness by wearing the pad evenly. Maybe this can help in your case but we need pics.
Hope this picture helps 20180226_141648.jpg

that's not anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. as long as there is no rust on the part that contacts the brake pad it doesnt matter.

you need new brakes. just get them replaced with something good quality and that's coated so it doesnt rust again. what is your mileage?

that's not anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. as long as there is no rust on the part that contacts the brake pad it doesnt matter.

you need new brakes. just get them replaced with something good quality and that's coated so it doesnt rust again. what is your mileage?
33800 is the mileage they said my brakes were fine but I found that hard to believe

I had the same issue on my 15gt with under 19k at that time. I also went through the SAME thing on my 05 Honda accord V6 and that car had like 20k on it at that time.

Anyway, I took my car to a local dealer who told me the pads are good but the rotors are warped and not a warranty item. I asked them to show me how I can drive a car 19k miles and have trashed rotors but pads in like new condition. The manager accepted to replace the rotors but not the pads (asking me to pay +194 USD). So they sanded the pads and put on new rotors as I was adamant on not paying them. At 26k I now have some pad screeching noise that is annoying on a 3 year old car with low mileage.

Moral of the story. Factory installed brakes aren't meant to last on modern cars.

Back