Bluetooth Browsing

I just did some more testing. When i scroll to BT input, I see the 8 virtual buttons on screen, and I can browser the list of music on my phone. The phone will launch the last used music player. Google play music will show song title/artist/album on the mazda screen. If any other player is launched on the phone, it will show unknown on all the mazda screen.

If you don't have the virtual buttons, it could be your phone or it could be your version on the stereo.

Sorry if that shot mislead you. I usually get full info-- it was just playing an oddball rip with no tag when I took that shot. I've always gotten full info from ANY music app, just no art.

My problem getting this to work is that there is no "root" button. I also don't have repeat or shuffle buttons on the head. But I shuffle from the phone.

Can you check your buttons next time you're in the car please?

I have all the buttons as 7 shows. I can browse my entire phone song library from the car... without touching the phone.

Well it's either one of 2 things at this point: your phone or your OS version on your phone, which I assume is Nougat 7.0?
Don't think the G4 is getting O
Alphadog, you did get Oreo on your phone, yes?

Why is no on else trying this? I fail to believe we are the only 3 people that have music on our phones. LOL
It's pretty sweet.

Well it's either one of 2 things at this point: your phone or your OS version on your phone, which I assume is Nougat 7.0?

Why is no on else trying this? I fail to believe we are the only 3 people that have music on our phones. LOL
It's pretty sweet.

It's the ONLY way I listen in the car.
When I get in the car, the head unit boots directly to the BT screen, and my phone begins playback at the exact place I stopped when I last turned off the ignition.
I don't have to touch a thing. In that way, it is perfect.

hint, hint

I have android 8. I can test with android 7 or 6 with other phones tomorrow. But that could be a phone bt limit to - bt version and profiles supported

It's pretty sweet.

This thread started because you had to pair a new phone, right? And you're implying that you're running Oreo on that phone, right? That screen shot looks like "peer supports advanced feature" maybe refers to folder browsing, right? Thus Mazda [the peer] supports it. Therefore the car knows, and displays the appropriate buttons.
So I'm gonna bet 2 bits that you're right. 7.0 or my phone or both don't support it.

But since I always shuffle, I don't really give a rat's patootie. But next time you try it, please try a shuffle and tell me if it shuffles your entire collection.
Just curious.

I have android 8. I can test with android 7 or 6 with other phones tomorrow. But that could be a phone bt limit to - bt version and profiles supported

Thanks. That'll pretty much confirm it.

I just tested with an Android 7.0 phone - no root or browsing. I can use Google Play music to choose between podcasts and music and get artist/etc displayed, but I can't browse the phone.

I do know that Android 8 added a lot of new BT functionality. I haven't tried with my wife's iPhone yet, so not sure if this BT browsing works with it or not.

On the Android 8 phone with the connect system it appears easier to move between music and podcasts from the head unit - something you can't do with Android 7 - but i still need to test.

So when you use that phone you had 5 buttons?
I'll bet it doesn't work on any iPhone.

I'll bet it doesn't work on any iPhone.

Lol, it works perfectly on iPhone. I use it all the time and it works with Spotify, Apple Music, and local music.
In fact, I was scratching my head at this thread because I thought everyone could. Forgot that some android devices don't always get the best features :p

We're not talking about Spotify, or any streaming music.. we aren't even talking about using the local player to stream to the headunit.
This is specifically about browsing the content in the phone from the head unit over BT.
\Edit/ Just tried wife's iPhone 7 with iOS 11 and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Lol, it works perfectly on iPhone. I use it all the time and it works with Spotify, Apple Music, and local music.
In fact, I was scratching my head at this thread because I thought everyone could. Forgot that some android devices don't always get the best features :p

You got to get something for all that extra money besides the name 'apple' and imprisonment in their ecosystem. ;)

You got to get something for all that extra money besides the name 'apple' and imprisonment in their ecosystem. ;)

Lol you're not sucking me into that argument... instead you focus on fighting with your issues and I'll enjoy my BT browsing ;)

Lol you're not sucking me into that argument... instead you focus on fighting with your issues and I'll enjoy my BT browsing ;)

Couldn't resist, could ya-- sucked yourself in?! ;) It's ok, differnt strokes...

Luckily not a problem for me. Just a new feature I don't need.

Shuffle does not work at all.
Even turned tooltips back on to make sure I was hitting the right button...
795d5c7a3207700c2a7c1953d26586c9.jpg

Back