I think this is a deal...

Russ7

:
Mazda 3
2018 CX5 touring with preferred equip package. Eternal blue.

MSRP 28390
Invoice 27646
Discount 1500
Rebate 1000
Owner Loyalty 500
Auto Show 500
Total 24146
Plus TTL

What is "Auto Show"?
Did you get the deal at an AutoShow?
That looks like a good deal to me.

It also depends. Are you giving up 0% financing to get the $1000 discount? If so, what is your rate and how much is being financed?

Yes. Not worried about the rate. It’ll be low enough or I’ll pay it off in a year.

I would rather have the 0% as i can make more money investing my cash, but to each his own. But the bottom line is, if you think it is a good deal, then it is a good deal.

I would rather have the 0% as i can make more money investing my cash, but to each his own. But the bottom line is, if you think it is a good deal, then it is a good deal.

Huh? Sounds like he has an extra $1000 off the deal he can invest with too ;)

Depending on how long the loan is for, 0% is not always the best way to go.

$3500 discount on an 18? Amazing. Grab it.
Gotta be FWD.

Huh? Sounds like he has an extra $1000 off the deal he can invest with too ;)

Depending on how long the loan is for, 0% is not always the best way to go.

0% is always the best way to go. There is no reason to ever pay 0% off early. At a 3% interest rate I would pay about $2000 to borrow $25,000. I can invest that $25,000 and conservatively average 4-5% over 5 years.

If i pay cash for my car, that $25,000 is not earning any interest. Yes I can replenish it over time, but all the time i am not earning interest. Mazda knows this. It is cheaper for them to offer the buyer $1000 then to offer 0%. They are paying for the use of that money too.

It is hard for most to have the financial discipline to do the 0%. They see the $1000 off and only look at the purchase price. I am by no means wealthy, but letting my money earn interest and using others for free, is very efficient way to see your money grow.

0% is always the best way to go. There is no reason to ever pay 0% off early. At a 3% interest rate I would pay about $2000 to borrow $25,000. I can invest that $25,000 and conservatively average 4-5% over 5 years.

If i pay cash for my car, that $25,000 is not earning any interest. Yes I can replenish it over time, but all the time i am not earning interest. Mazda knows this. It is cheaper for them to offer the buyer $1000 then to offer 0%. They are paying for the use of that money too.

It is hard for most to have the financial discipline to do the 0%. They see the $1000 off and only look at the purchase price. I am by no means wealthy, but letting my money earn interest and using others for free, is very efficient way to see your money grow.

Sounds like this assumes you don't actually need to finance, and have the full $25,000 to just invest with instead. (scratch)

Sounds like this assumes you don't actually need to finance, and have the full $25,000 to just invest with instead. (scratch)

The OP said he could pay it off in a year. So that means even if he doesn't have the money now, he will in a year. Still, 0% is a better deal.

The $1000 discount is worth maybe 1.5%, So if you pay any more then 1.5% APR, you spend more on interest then that 1000 cash discount.

One thing many people don't realize is the money dealers make from deals with finance companies. They will knock lots of the price if you are financing through them and unknowingly take a higher rate. It doesn't take long for them to recoup a $1000 they knocked off. Many car loans now have origination fees - cash in the lender/dealers pocket - don't forget to add that back to the great price you thought you got.

That is why all these "did i get a good price" threads are almost meaningless. Without knowing the full terms of the deal, the buyer could easily be paying more then someone that got a higher price but paid cash.

$24,100 is an awesome deal for a 2018 ($4,200 off MSRP). I would jump on it ASAP!!

I just purchased a 2017 Touring AWD w/Preferred Package (Bose, power lift gate, etc)for $26,500 ($29,200 MSRP) but I went with the 0% for 60 months. I didn't want the 2018 due to the cylinder deactivation thing but that's just me.

I could have paid off the vehicle in full but I thought, why? Cash is king and I would rather have the cash to invest with rather than sink it all into a vehicle.

Last edited:
$24,100 is a great deal for a 2018. I would jump on it.

I just purchased a 2017 Touring AWD w/Preferred Package (Bose, power lift gate, etc)for $26,500 but I went with the 0% for 60 months. I didn't want the 2018 due to the cylinder deactivation thin but that's just me.

I could have paid off the vehicle in full but I thought, why? Cash is king and I would rather have the cash to invest with rather than sink it all into a vehicle.

...and with GAP, if it gets totalled, who cares as long as you're okay? Paid cash? Well, sorry bro, you just lost $2-8K with many policies.

2018 CX5 touring with preferred equip package. Eternal blue.

MSRP 28390
Invoice 27646
Discount 1500
Rebate 1000
Owner Loyalty 500
Auto Show 500
Total 24146
Plus TTL

Something isn't adding up. Are you getting a dealer discount that gets you to invoice price plus another $1500 dealer discount? $2,244 total dealer discount and another $2,000 in rebates/incentives?

Back