2017 CX5 - which trailer wiring kit: Curt or Tekonsha

You guys are probably right. 2000lbs doesn't sound like that much, but with all of the tech and attention to detail by Mazda, I always have some concern in the back of my mind. They car does things like engine brake when you take your foot off the gas, it has things like G vectoring, auto emergency braking, algorithms for transferring power to and from the rear wheels, and so forth.

I can imagine a scenario in which the smart emergency braking kicks in with unexpected/undesirable results when towing. Perhaps Mazda tested with 1000 lbs to prove all that stuff and didn't test more. Hopefully they didn't find problems that led them to recommending trailer brakes over 1000 lbs.

A well built 5x8 utility trailer weighs 1000 lbs by itself. https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Utility-Trailer-Rental/AO/

Funny, my lighter, poorer handling, less powerful, 2wd 1997 Nissan Hardbody pickup is rated at 3500 lbs.

My 5 x 10 weighs about 750# - that uhaul is heavy, but it has a metal deck and sides. Notice it has no brakes.

Electirc trailer brakes are not magic. They are only tied to pedal movement, so they can be too sensitive or not enough, dragging or doing nothing. So even having them, doesnt mean they would help the emergency braking or other features.

My 5 x 10 weighs about 750# - that uhaul is heavy, but it has a metal deck and sides. Notice it has no brakes.

Electirc trailer brakes are not magic. They are only tied to pedal movement, so they can be too sensitive or not enough, dragging or doing nothing. So even having them, doesnt mean they would help the emergency braking or other features.

Exactly, trailer brakes on light trailers is actually sometimes more dangerous because the trailer brakes can lock up the light trailer and send it jackknifing or skidding as you tow.

Mazda is using lawyer speak when they printed that in the manual. Simple as that.

Towing 2,000 LBS without trailer brakes is fine on the CX5, just be wise about it. No need to overthink it. I've towed backhoes and bobcats with a diesel truck and no trailer brakes. I did have an exhaust brake but no trailer brakes. On things that size, trailer brakes do help a lot.

Back