Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Best $600 coilovers?

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    Protege5

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4

    Best $600 coilovers?

    What’s the best bang for my buck? Most height diff &camber +everyday ride ability?

  2. #2
    Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

    2002 Mazda Protege5

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    263
    That's kind of low for decent coilovers, isn't it?

    I recall that last time I searched for some coilovers out of curiosity, I found only one lower-priced-but-sketchy-looking option at around 600 or so bucks. Cannot remember the brand for the life of me.

    From what my buddies tell me, never go cheap on coilovers.

  3. #3
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Best $600 coilovers? Shit. You may as well just cut your springs and call it a day.

    For $600, sway bars ahd/or camber plates is what you want.

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    protege5

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    252
    Most cars decent quality coil overs start at the $1k-$1500 range and go up from there. P5 isn't exactly a "common" model for import/upgrades like a Civic or even a Miata so pickins are going to be slim. Maybe i'm just a cheap ass but I couldn't justify dropping that kind of money into a $2000 car.

    Just one man's opinion, it's your money do what you want... but I think You'd be better off with a set of decent shocks and some Tein or Eibach springs. The P5 handles pretty good in stock form, unless it's a dedicated track car I think you'd be throwing your money out the window dropping that kind of coin on suspension. You'd never be able to utilize the full benefits. It would be about the equivalent of buying a Jeep, spend a few thousand dollars putting ARB front and rear lockers, a $5k long arm suspension, gear reduction, etc in it. Then never leaving the pavement. Sure you have a ton of money and probably one of the nicest built Jeeps around but if you never use it then it's pointless when you could have the same "looking" jeep with some tires and 3" lift springs for a few hundred dollars.

  5. #5
    Swollen Member Natey's Avatar
    Donated: $20

    Mazda

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pleasure Point, California
    Posts
    6,420
    I have a feeling he's not worried about ride quality or track times. This guy wants hella flush. Buy any old coilovers off of ebay. Your car will be low and the wheels will look cambered out. Your fillings will fall out and you'll piss blood, but that's the price you pay. There's not too many coilover options for a Protege these days and none of them have a decent ride.

    If I'm wrong about the hella-flush thing, then your best option is probably to get on Racing Beat's website, buy some Tokico blues and a set of their springs and enjoy your P5.

    http://www.racingbeat.com/Mazda/Prot...ml?id=NXtrMAkw
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    .
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

  6. #6
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Putting money into a protege to make it handle well is worth it. My friend had a very low mileage protege in the past with suspension that practically felt like it left the factory, and the car handled very well.

    Keep in mind that if you have worn items in your suspension like ball joints or bushings, that will degrade handling considerably and you won’t know it until you actually refresh your suspension, so there’s that.

    You can spend the price of the car itself on modifications like an LSD, coilovers, sway bars, camber plates, etc but you will have yourself a brilliant handling vehicle. The protege is a good platform for going fast around corners.

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    protege5

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    Putting money into a protege to make it handle well is worth it. My friend had a very low mileage protege in the past with suspension that practically felt like it left the factory, and the car handled very well.

    Keep in mind that if you have worn items in your suspension like ball joints or bushings, that will degrade handling considerably and you won’t know it until you actually refresh your suspension, so there’s that.

    You can spend the price of the car itself on modifications like an LSD, coilovers, sway bars, camber plates, etc but you will have yourself a brilliant handling vehicle. The protege is a good platform for going fast around corners.
    as fast as that whopping 100 horsepower will let you lol

    sorry had to throw that in As I said, just my opinion and to each their own. But if I were going to drop the price of the car INTO the car I think i'd just buy another car. For example, if I wanted a wagon that handled well I think a better choice would be to pick up a WRX wagon... they handle just as well (possibly better) than a P5 but are AWD and turbo from the factory. You can find a decent 02-03 for around $4-5k and out of pocket costs would be about the same as dumping a bunch of money into a P5.

    I like my P5 don't get me wrong... but i've been working on cars and owned many cars for many years. I know what the P5 is... a *very* reliable, cheap, A-B commuter car that's peppy and fun to drive. In that category I think it is top of the list. I can't think of another car in the $2k range I would rather have for that purpose. But what it is NOT is a race car or what I would feel is a vehicle worth dumping thousands of dollars into performance upgrades.

  8. #8
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    as fast as that whopping 100 horsepower will let you lol

    sorry had to throw that in As I said, just my opinion and to each their own. But if I were going to drop the price of the car INTO the car I think i'd just buy another car. For example, if I wanted a wagon that handled well I think a better choice would be to pick up a WRX wagon... they handle just as well (possibly better) than a P5 but are AWD and turbo from the factory. You can find a decent 02-03 for around $4-5k and out of pocket costs would be about the same as dumping a bunch of money into a P5.

    I like my P5 don't get me wrong... but i've been working on cars and owned many cars for many years. I know what the P5 is... a *very* reliable, cheap, A-B commuter car that's peppy and fun to drive. In that category I think it is top of the list. I can't think of another car in the $2k range I would rather have for that purpose. But what it is NOT is a race car or what I would feel is a vehicle worth dumping thousands of dollars into performance upgrades.
    Personally I disagree. A properly modified protege would be able to go faster into corners than cars costing exponentially more with exponentially higher levels of power. A WRX might be faster, but the engine is full of problems and they do not handle as well as a protege. The protege is not about high power levels, it’s abot enjoying the chassis around corners. It would be a blast with coilovers and a limited slip diff.

  9. #9
    Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

    2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    8,123
    As someone that works around Subarus all day long, I would (and do) drive a P5 over a GD WRX.
    Mod List. "Jinba Ittai"

    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1345 Purchased 7/20/10
    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1574 Purchased 10/25/14

    2009 Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #5998 12.9@110
    2002 Red Protege5 RIP:4/25/10

  10. #10
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsfan10609 View Post
    As someone that works around Subarus all day long, I would (and do) drive a P5 over a GD WRX.
    I agree. I don’t care care how slow the protege is. the chassis is very good

  11. #11
    Registered Member 323's Avatar

    msp

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    757
    Posts
    5,008
    ksport coilovers can be had around 750.
    03 MSP, 03 P5

  12. #12
    Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

    2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    8,123
    I paid $670 for my BC BRs, but they are pretty damn stiff.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  13. #13
    Registered Member

    2003 Mazda Protégé5

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NM, USA
    Posts
    16
    I found a place that builds them out of El Paso, TX I think. 900ish for some decent stuff. Yellow Speed Racing USA. If you've saved up 600 already, what's another 3?

  14. #14
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsfan10609 View Post
    I paid $670 for my BC BRs, but they are pretty damn stiff.
    Bc racing is fully adjustable...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 01:49 AM
  2. Which one is better? Megan street series coilovers or BC BR type racing coilovers ?
    By henrybeckham in forum Mazda3 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
  3. Coilovers??
    By JarHeadSpeed in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
  4. WTB Coilovers or Adjustable Coilovers
    By 03mazdashawty in forum Completed Transactions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
  5. Tein coilovers vs. ground control coilovers?
    By SherbertRocket in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 09:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •