Map Cost?

:
2020 CX-5
I just installed my last free map update--my free 3 years of updates expires next month. So what will happen when I log onto Mazda Tools after the deadline expires? Will I be offered the chance to purchase additional updates through that program or are purchases made elsewhere? Are the charges per update or does Mazda sell updates for a designated period of time? What are the charges likely to be?

Thanks.

Sorry for what is a bit of a flippant answer. But nonetheless, Google Maps are free (apart from the data they use) and they are much better.

Wait and see if mazda connect gets android auto in september with ‘19 models. Then decide what to do. New map card are less then $100 on ebay.

I'd like to know the answer to that too. July is going to be my last free update. I've been very satisfied with my built in nav system. Maybe not as good as Google but I like having the big display and I'm not going to stick a phone mount on my dash

New map card are less then $100 on ebay.

This is actually the best answer. If you buy a brand new card on Ebay, you'll get guess what? 3 MORE FREE YEARS.

Mazda really needs to up the game on this. You want me to use your maps? You won't give us AA? Give us free lifetime updates then...

I'd like to know the answer to that too. July is going to be my last free update. I've been very satisfied with my built in nav system. Maybe not as good as Google but I like having the big display and I'm not going to stick a phone mount on my dash

Exactly. 100% agree. Hate those phone mounts.

As for your question - its pretty darn costly. I am in same boat as you. Here's my take on this: The updates offered are a load of BS, YMMV. About 18 months back exit # changed near where i live, important highway. Around Q4 2017 updates rolled out. In my Mazda this change was NOT reflected. In my Garmin and my friend's TomTom - it was reflected. To be noted - Garmin uses NavTeq same as Mazda.

So - having no updates - in reality you won't loose much. What I plan to do is hold of for 2 years. In between the interim updates - I agree will miss but frankly I am 200% certain won't miss much.

Within this period Mazda will get its ship in order and roll out AA / Carplay / etc. Outcome: those darn SD cards will become very cheap. Also - supposedly as and when Mazda does roll out compatibility - its saying it'll be backward compatible but some small h/w might be required. Again - I'd rather wait for that than buying a subscription.

In eBay there's dime a dozen of these SD cards available < $100. However, parsing this and other forums - it's a hit or miss.

I haven't seen anyone get burned buying a card on Ebay. Thank god. Mo co-worker {who is one of my favorite people} would have killed me had she got a card that didn't work on Ebay for her 6. :D

Exactly. 100% agree. Hate those phone mounts.

As for your question - its pretty darn costly. I am in same boat as you. Here's my take on this: The updates offered are a load of BS, YMMV. About 18 months back exit # changed near where i live, important highway. Around Q4 2017 updates rolled out. In my Mazda this change was NOT reflected. In my Garmin and my friend's TomTom - it was reflected. To be noted - Garmin uses NavTeq same as Mazda.

So - having no updates - in reality you won't loose much. What I plan to do is hold of for 2 years. In between the interim updates - I agree will miss but frankly I am 200% certain won't miss much.

Within this period Mazda will get its ship in order and roll out AA / Carplay / etc. Outcome: those darn SD cards will become very cheap. Also - supposedly as and when Mazda does roll out compatibility - its saying it'll be backward compatible but some small h/w might be required. Again - I'd rather wait for that than buying a subscription.

In eBay there's dime a dozen of these SD cards available < $100. However, parsing this and other forums - it's a hit or miss.
My old car( A 2009 Acura TSX.).....i never updated. I just recently traded it when i got my Mazda. The update map /DVD cost $149 per year!! I did fine with what I had on the screen.....i would use Google map(rarely) if I didn't know an area. (sun)

Last edited:
Though I appreciate the responses, no one has actually answered the question I posed: What is Mazda going to charge me if I want to continue updating the maps? The fact that Mazda gives you three free years of updates suggests the cost of continued updates is likely to be less than luxury car makers charge for updates (Porsche wants near $500!). So far I have found the maps current and reliable and prefer using a device built into the vehicle rather than having to piddle around with my iPhone.

I just installed my last free map update--my free 3 years of updates expires next month. So what will happen when I log onto Mazda Tools after the deadline expires? Will I be offered the chance to purchase additional updates through that program or are purchases made elsewhere? Are the charges per update or does Mazda sell updates for a designated period of time? What are the charges likely to be?

Thanks.

Mazda Map Updates For North America

See orange arrows below (current exchange rate pricing I believe):

2yxfcc5.jpg

$84 for a year. Insanity.
Just to have new restaurants? Roads don't change much around me. Uh, no.

Though I appreciate the responses, no one has actually answered the question I posed: What is Mazda going to charge me if I want to continue updating the maps? The fact that Mazda gives you three free years of updates suggests the cost of continued updates is likely to be less than luxury car makers charge for updates (Porsche wants near $500!). So far I have found the maps current and reliable and prefer using a device built into the vehicle rather than having to piddle around with my iPhone.

Updates come out 2 times a year. If you just got the recent update then you have nothing to worry about for at least 6 months. That is why i suggested to wait and see. If Android Auto or Car Play make it in the 2019 model and port backwards to our vehicles, the price of maps will likely plummet. You also have other options as mentioned - buying from Mazda will cost you a lot more then buying a new card with 3 years of updates.

Checked eBay. The guy my friend bought from with over 250 positive ratings is gone. Prices have gone up on the remaining sellers. Methinks Mazda has cracked down.
Mazdas 3 year price of $135 isn't horrible. I still wouldn't pay it though. Again, Cleveland is pretty old and established. Not much changes here except restaurants

Last edited:
Over here our updates also include red light & speed camera information

Ours do too. But Cleveland banned those cameras so I don't need that either. Locally anyway.
There's one camera in the county. Almost everyone knows about it at this point. Tiny little suburb that makes all it's money on tickets. Seriously.
Population 700.

Last edited:
Ours so too. But Cleveland banned those cameras so I don't need that either. Locally anyway.

Wish ours got banned.....

They raise revenue but seem to do not much else as the road toll has increased over the last few years

Last edited:
Wish ours got banned.....

They raise revenue but seem to do not much else as the road toll has increased over the last few years

That is why they got banned here in some places. They were counter productive. The 3rd parties that sold and supported needed revenue to profit. If fhe goal is to reduce speeding and running reds, then the result should be revenue decline. Some were caught shortening light cycles and doing other things to keep revenue high and never really try to stop infractions.

Back