Using this for 6 months as front parking sensors (2016 CX-5)

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
As many know, Aussies get the goodies like front parking sensors, whereas here in US it's not even on the menu. What's offered are the rear parking sensors at a rather hefty price which BTW - no one installs (almost) since rear camera is default.

Anyways - due to a peculiar and rather dangerous condition w.r.t. my parking situation at home and 1 offsite work place I was forced to look at all after-market solutions for FRONT parking sensors.

I took a leap of faith and got this about 6 months back.

Review - fantastic decision. Its quite accurate and performs really well. Has it quirks like need the phone, etc. but the ready button is a nice touch and its default included. The price is very decent and if both rear/forward bought at the same time it's $200 with free shipping (US).

Already saved me twice from hitting that darn pillar. Currently, both my cars have rear cameras so in both have it as front parking sensors. In fact, it detects movement pretty good so think of it like this - in many cases behaves like rear cross-traffic alert but front side. This is especially relevant for me as I also have a driveway and invariably there's some BIG pickups parked at both sides of the mouth of the driveway. This thing beeped many times warning me of cross traffic. Similar situation - parking lot @ busy shopping centers like Costco.

Last edited:
In my both cars - batteries are still okay, about 20% and assure you: heavy usage. User manual says averages around 6 months. Best part: Simple AA battery!!

There's 2 ways to activate this - 1. the smart phone itself has an app and you can keep it running or bring it up (do not recommend it)
2. They provide a very conv button (battery). I have it on my steering wheel, pretty decent actually. My wife prefers it on the driver side door. A quick press and bingo the thing instantly reports with beeps, etc.

Setup - I use option #2 mostly. In smart phone app - have set it up for bluetooth and alerts. So - uses my car's head unit when activated.
In some cases - if I have my phone nearby then of course the display helps. Can be setup as both - front and back, only back, only front.

Few important things - they intelligently included anti theft. In other words - when mounted requires special screws. So: Don't loose the screw driver!! They also have a clearance setting. If you mount at the back - you'll need it to account for the bumper distance. Finally, the sensors themselves can be adjusted - up/down/etc. like headlight. Little bit of play time required here to get it right.

The good part is as it has 2 sensors - distance calc. are pretty accurate.

And you wait 6 months to share this? Bad form, brother. Bad form. 🤩
(I'm not interested but many will be. Great idea. Wish I'd have thought if it)

And you wait 6 months to share this? Bad form, brother. Bad form. ��
(I'm not interested but many will be. Great idea. Wish I'd have thought if it)

How long are you lurking here? The critics here rip you apart if you are wrong. Could not take a chance, had to be sure. LOL. This is Mazda - perfection is demanded, every time....

Haha [emoji106] I didn't lurk though, I jumped right in.
Actually I think I remember that thing on Kickstarter awhile ago, or one similar.

How accurate is distance?can you tell 6” from 3’? Could it be sent to define how far to pull into a garage?

Replace a tennis ball? ��

As many know, Aussies get the goodies like front parking sensors, whereas here in US it's not even on the menu. What's offered are the rear parking sensors at a rather hefty price which BTW - no one installs (almost) since rear camera is default.

Anyways - due to a peculiar and rather dangerous condition w.r.t. my parking situation at home and 1 offsite work place I was forced to look at all after-market solutions for FRONT parking sensors.

I took a leap of faith and got this about 6 months back.

Review - fantastic decision. Its quite accurate and performs really well. Has it quirks like need the phone, etc. but the ready button is a nice touch and its default included. The price is very decent and if both rear/forward bought at the same time it's $200 with free shipping (US).

Already saved me twice from hitting that darn pillar. Currently, both my cars have rear cameras so in both have it as front parking sensors. In fact, it detects movement pretty good so think of it like this - in many cases behaves like rear cross-traffic alert but front side. This is especially relevant for me as I also have a driveway and invariably there's some BIG pickups parked at both sides of the mouth of the driveway. This thing beeped many times warning me of cross traffic. Similar situation - parking lot @ busy shopping centers like Costco.

Good to hear you got some decent sensors.

Come on.. don't hate us Aussies :D

How accurate is distance?can you tell 6” from 3’? Could it be sent to define how far to pull into a garage?

A cheaper option for a garage is to place some stoppers on the ground so you don't hit the wall :)

A cheaper option for a garage is to place some stoppers on the ground so you don't hit the wall :)

my garage changes - there are 6 parking spots and approach is horrendous. Almost all cars parked there has scratches, dents. Then - in the offsite location I need to park again in a very tight spot and cant add anything to walls there as don't own it.

Question is not in reference to wall. It is more about optimum distance front and back. My garage is very deep, walls are not an issue. I could put a line on the ground and use backup camera but was curious about other options.

Let me explain. When setting it up 1st. time you need to calibrate. Takes a wee bit of time. The display shows similar lines like CX-5 reverse camera guide lines. Propagating outwards in semi-circular lines (like the Wifi symbol in iPhone). There are 2 sensors - so 2 propagating sets of lines.
These lines are colored with red being danger of hitting / green = safe.
How I set it up is: calibrate the sensor settings such that the worst red line is about 3 inches away from front bumper. With that baseline at play, I can now comfortably use it. As a proof of concept, I stopped at the 1st. green line and measured it out for my reference.
If using the front sensors - there's hardly any need for calibration as it sits on the front bumper. However when reverse, it ideally should point down. Basic geometry here: the line from the sensor to a spot on a wall having same height as bumper height will be more distance than a direct line from bumper to the same spot. Then - the calibration really helps. Max height for the sensors from ground straight up: 4 feet. Sensing distance = Approx. 3 meters. BUT (and a big BUT) : I have seen it sense moving objects are far larger distance - would venture and say about 10 meters away. Thus my comment: seems to work as a forward cross traffic alert too (Basic). However, as it's not documented - I don't rely on it. Neither should anyone. As for parking sensors: pretty good.

Hi, thanks for the share.
Most of the time when get out/in of parking place, it's easy to scratch corner of the bumper. The sensors of this solution are mostly in the center of the bumper so I'm questionning about the accurency for the corner of the bumper ?

thanks.

Most of the time when get out/in of parking place, it's easy to scratch corner of the bumper. The sensors of this solution are mostly in the center of the bumper so I'm questionning about the accurency for the corner of the bumper ?

thanks.

Remind me to not park near you!

lol, it 's never happened to me, trust me. And don't worry we are far far away from each other... :)
But I find the most critical parts when you are parking a car are corners of bumpers, not the center. But again my thinking and I can uderstand it's not the same for all :)

my garage changes - there are 6 parking spots and approach is horrendous. Almost all cars parked there has scratches, dents. Then - in the offsite location I need to park again in a very tight spot and cant add anything to walls there as don't own it.

Ahh, fair enough.

thanks.

What about placing rubber strips on the parking space walls so as to have an extra protection just in case (uhm)

thanks.

The edge of the bumpers are easy to scratch if you don't know what you are doing.. My mazda 6 is a breeze to park even without sensors. now my BMW 5 series? that's a whole other story. that massive land-yacht of a car sure as hell needs those parking sensors... a smaller Mazda doesnt.

thanks.

This was 1 point which I was also thinking but since I needed it desperately still bought it.

This is what after using it for so long realized. In 90% cases as I approach something its usually always in front of me (nearabouts) and then moves to either corner as I turn my car. I am covered from that perspective.

Next: long walls and things placed on walls while I drive inwards. Unless its something really small then the sensors detect it while its (say) a foot or two away. The sensors are conical moving outwards.

Frankly, its a little tough to explain but I feel with these sensors I am yet to find it lacking even in tight spots and corners.

Back