Off Topic Honda CRV 1.5t engine recall in China

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
Just thought this was interesting enough to post it here, given how much some fruity people are in love with their CR-V's, and delight in slamming Mazda.

In a nutshell, the Honda 1.5T engine has what looks like a major issue with gas getting into the oil.

Give this thread a read:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...72041-honda-recall-china-engines-gas-oil.html

This may be the tip of the iceberg.
No way they can paint lipstick on this one and gloss it over.
Will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks/months/years.

Cheers.

That is very bad news for those guys with the 1.5T. If they are doing a recall in China, the issue must be serious.

That is very bad news for those guys with the 1.5T. If they are doing a recall in China, the issue must be serious.

On an unrelated note, why? I think the age of China being second-rate has past. They now have much more actual manufacturing know-how than Americans. That is why we outsource to them, now. Noone in America goes to school to learn actual specialized manufacturing anymore.

There is another thread on that site with the same subject matter, with owners experiencing the same issue in both Canada and the U.S.
One poster is waiting for an engine replacement. His CR-V has been at the dealership for over a month.

On paper, the CR-V's engine dominates the CX-5, as well as in the real-world.

But a year later, and we are now seeing issues.

I guess this is part of why I never buy the first edition of anything, no-matter how damn sexy it SEEMS, even when I have limited hands-on with it. In fact, I don't think I have a first edition ANYTHING except for a couple of suppressors, 1 of which the company greatly improved upon 1-2 years later.

But a year later, and we are now seeing issues.

I guess this is part of why I never buy the first edition of anything, no-matter how damn sexy it SEEMS, even when I have limited hands-on with it. In fact, I don't think I have a first edition ANYTHING except for a couple of suppressors, 1 of which the company greatly improved upon 1-2 years later.

This is so true.
I worked for a company that made photocopiers, printers, among other things, and no matter how much testing and research went into their products,
they always had to issue TSB's and retrofits after the product was released before the product "matured".
The early machines were always more trouble prone, and many had to be updated in the field to bring them up to spec.
It's the way of our technological world.

To think someone bought a loaded 37k CR-V with first aid kit and large wheels. Imo except Lexus and Toyota I won't be anyone else's guinea pig.

It’s no big deal. All direct injection engines have the potential to dilute the oil and especially in cold weather when the mixture runs rich. It has a similar effect to the diesels when they regenerate the particulate filter with neat fuel. All they will do is re map the fuel injection to lessen the effect although it will still do it to some extent without stopping any fuel getting past the piston rings.

Of course if it happened with the Skyactive G engine Mazda would get slammed on this forum by furious owners that are about to throw themselves off a bridge but in fact it demonstrates what a good job they have done. The industry wide problem of dilution is 100% cured on my 17. An incredible achievement for which I commend them.

Dominates? Don't you mean "edges out"?

"Their characters, though, are deceiving and counterintuitive. On the test track, the seemingly less aggressive CR-V hit 60 mph nearly a second quicker than the sporty CX-5, needing just 7.5 seconds to the Mazda’s 8.4, though the advantage narrowed to 0.6 second by the end of a quarter mile. Although both vehicles pulled the same 0.81 average g on the skidpad, the nearly 200-pound-lighter Honda maintained its speed advantage with a 27.9-second figure-eight lap at 0.60 average g. The Mazda—hampered by its aggressive stability control, which couldn’t be deactivated—needed 28.5 seconds at 0.58 average g. More predictably, the lighter Honda stopped 10 feet shorter, in just 116 feet."

I don't call that dominating. Not trying to be a fan boy OR start that same old tired debate...but. ;)

Here's the Reuters article if anyone wants to NOT go to that crappy ad-rideen auto video playing website:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cars-in-china-over-engine-issue-idUSKBN1FW124

This is so true.
I worked for a company that made photocopiers, printers, among other things, and no matter how much testing and research went into their products,
they always had to issue TSB's and retrofits after the product was released before the product "matured".
The early machines were always more trouble prone, and many had to be updated in the field to bring them up to spec.
It's the way of our technological world.

Yep, even the Benelli M4, which passed one of the most arduous tests for a semi-auto shotgun around, and has been issued to troops for 2 decades, has in the last half of that STILL gotten revisions. It's probably one of the most durable and reliable weapons I own, and it's relatively "simple". Vehicle engines? Make my Gen 2 or 3, please!

"Their characters, though, are deceiving and counterintuitive. On the test track, the seemingly less aggressive CR-V hit 60 mph nearly a second quicker than the sporty CX-5, needing just 7.5 seconds to the Mazda’s 8.4, though the advantage narrowed to 0.6 second by the end of a quarter mile. Although both vehicles pulled the same 0.81 average g on the skidpad, the nearly 200-pound-lighter Honda maintained its speed advantage with a 27.9-second figure-eight lap at 0.60 average g. The Mazda—hampered by its aggressive stability control, which couldn’t be deactivated—needed 28.5 seconds at 0.58 average g. More predictably, the lighter Honda stopped 10 feet shorter, in just 116 feet."

I don't call that dominating. Not trying to be a fan boy OR start that same old tired debate...but. ;)

Here's the Reuters article if anyone wants to NOT go to that crappy ad-rideen auto video playing website:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cars-in-china-over-engine-issue-idUSKBN1FW124

I mean dominates, getting 32mpg doing 75mph is DOMINANT in this class. Slaying it by almost a full second 0-60, likewise...over half a second in the quarter mile? That's been the difference between the Mustang GT and Cobra in the early 2000's/late 90's!

Last edited:

What is perhaps most intruiging is that Unobtanium makes it sound like every shopper looking into the CR-V or CX-5 judges the vehicle by its acceleration time and skid-pad grip... I don’t think so. As of right now, my money is on the 2.5L because not only has it served me really well so far in my Mazda 6, but it’s been out for longer than Honda’s engine and with less issues already.

What is perhaps most intruiging is that Unobtanium makes it sound like every shopper looking into the CR-V or CX-5 judges the vehicle by its acceleration time and skid-pad grip... I don’t think so. As of right now, my money is on the 2.5L because not only has it served me really well so far in my Mazda 6, but it’s been out for longer than Honda’s engine and with less issues already.

You should have been on this forum 2 years ago when all anyone could talk about was acceleration and handling, lol! Now it's all different stuff, and if Mazda should make the CX5 faster or handle better than other CUV's in its range again, it will shift back to it. The people on this forum are, by and large, Mazdafans, and they ignore the bad while trumpeting the good, whatever that may be. Nothing wrong with it, but I hate it when they pretend they didn't.

You should have been on this forum 2 years ago when all anyone could talk about was acceleration and handling, lol! Now it's all different stuff, and if Mazda should make the CX5 faster or handle better than other CUV's in its range again, it will shift back to it. The people on this forum are, by and large, Mazdafans, and they ignore the bad while trumpeting the good, whatever that may be. Nothing wrong with it, but I hate it when they pretend they didn't.

The CX-5 certainly isnt underpowered for the average driver which is why they are selling rather well. For the average driver, good throttle response, responsive torque and quick gearing is really the most you will need out in the real world, and this is where the CX-5 excels.

As much as I hate to bash on the CX-5, because it does sell well which helps Mazda, but I suspect that the CX-5 badly needs a more powerful engine. The acceleration times and most importantly the fuel economy In the CX-5 is really not that impressive. 29mpg on the highway is what any relatively modern 6 cylinder can achieve. I get a consistent 32MPG on the highway in my 6 cylinder 528i which is about 500pounds heavier than a CX-5.

What makes it really apparently to me that the CX-5s engine is not optimal for its weight is when you compare the fuel economy figures to a Mazda 6 with the same engine and transmission. 23 city, 29 highway for the CX-5 and 27 - 35 for the Mazda 6.. goes to show what a difference a lighter curb weight and improved aerodynamics make. Plus the 6 is spacious enough and significantly quicker to the point where you are not making any sacrifices by choosing the sedan..

Unless your CX-5 is filled to the brim with items, youre not benefiting in any way. It doesnt make any sense to be looking at crossovers and concerning yourself with performance.

Last edited:

I still have the same CX-5 I had 2 years ago. I will still praise the acceleration and handling even more because it isn't paired with the god awful ugliness of a CR-V.

A newer CR-V faster to accelerate by 1 second really doesn't suddenly invalidate the CX-5 as a fun vehicle. Moreover, the CVT is a turn off to many like myself.

I'm not sure your assessment is correct. I like my CX-5 as much now as I did 5 years ago, for all the same reasons. My GTX 980 in my PC is no longer the fastest card, but it still does the job, and I enjoy the games I play on it. Why does a faster card out suddenly invalidate mine? It still plays all the games I play to the highest settings. Same principle. This is something fruit man could not grasp.

I still have the same CX-5 I had 2 years ago. I will still praise the acceleration and handling even more because it isn't paired with the god awful ugliness of a CR-V.

A newer CR-V faster to accelerate by 1 second really doesn't suddenly invalidate the CX-5 as a fun vehicle. Moreover, the CVT is a turn off to many like myself.

I'm not sure your assessment is correct. I like my CX-5 as much now as I did 5 years ago, for all the same reasons. My GTX 980 in my PC is no longer the fastest card, but it still does the job, and I enjoy the games I play on it. Why does a faster card out suddenly invalidate mine? It still plays all the games I play to the highest settings. Same principle. This is something fruit man could not grasp.

*Derail*

I have a GTX1080, and I'm feeling handicapped. What are you playing?

*Derail*

I have a GTX1080, and I'm feeling handicapped. What are you playing?

Well for one, I'm only playing games on a single 1920x1080 monitor, so no 4k or multi-display setups, otherwise I would absolutely feel handicapped too.

I am not necessarily playing the latest and greatest games, which is probably part of it. I am playing currently: Subnautica, Cities: Skylines, Civilization VI, extremely heavily modded Skyrim, 7 Days to Die, Witcher 3, SOMA, modded Fallout 4. Going a little older school too and playing some Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines too.

So far they all still run fine, even my Skyrim.

Last edited:
If Honda responds to this problem like they did with the 15/16 vibration problem then there's gonna be a lot of pissed-off CR-V owners.

Well for one, I'm only playing games on a single 1920x1080 monitor, so no 4k or multi-display setups, otherwise I would absolutely feel handicapped too.

I am not necessarily playing the latest and greatest games, which is probably part of it. I am playing currently: Subnautica, Cities: Skylines, Civilization VI, extremely heavily modded Skyrim, 7 Days to Die, Witcher 3, SOMA, modded Fallout 4. Going a little older school too and playing some Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines too.

So far they all still run fine, even my Skyrim.

Witcher 3 is pretty demanding. I'm mostly playing older games except for Ghost Recon:Wildlands, and FarCry5 when it drops. 2560x1440 with G-SYNC. Backing it with a liquid cooled i7-7700k. On GR with all settings maxxed on the "game simulator" (allows to test settings with max loads), I am averaging around 52ish fps. I can dip as low as about 30-35fps before I get playability issues though due to G-Sync, which really is tits.

The 1080Ti has me jelly, but due to bitcoin mining, they are now $1K-1500 while 1080's like mine are $800-1K. Used to be about $4-500 cheaper across the board. INSANE! I feel like a Prius owner during the Bush Jr years when gas spiked and used values were higher than new!

It’s a huge problem for Honda. Many owners can actually see the oil level rise on the dipstick with the fuel dilution.

Interestingly, over on the BITOG forums, many used oil analysis reports have shown that while dilution can be 5% or higher, wear metals are not increased. The modern oils of today seem to work with fuel dilution in mind. The issues of engine problems may be with owners who are slack in their maintenance. The general recommendation for GDI owners is a oil change every 5k miles or 7500 at the most if mostly highway miles.

Back