Off Topic Honda CRV 1.5t engine recall in China

Witcher 3 is pretty demanding. I'm mostly playing older games except for Ghost Recon:Wildlands, and FarCry5 when it drops. 2560x1440 with G-SYNC. Backing it with a liquid cooled i7-7700k. On GR with all settings maxxed on the "game simulator" (allows to test settings with max loads), I am averaging around 52ish fps. I can dip as low as about 30-35fps before I get playability issues though due to G-Sync, which really is tits.

The 1080Ti has me jelly, but due to bitcoin mining, they are now $1K-1500 while 1080's like mine are $800-1K. Used to be about $4-500 cheaper across the board. INSANE! I feel like a Prius owner during the Bush Jr years when gas spiked and used values were higher than new!

Yeah I know what you mean. Crypto mining has really destroyed the graphics card market which is really one of the major reasons I didn't upgrade. Also I usually upgrade every couple of generations, but my god, they are so far apart now. I bought this 980 in Dec. 2014.

Witcher 3 is not hard to run IMO. My heavily modified Skyrim on the other hand...I have a bit older of a setup, all custom loop liquid cooled as well (including the 980). i7-4790k, GTX 980 Strix, 16GB RAM, all still runs what I am playing no problem.

Last edited:
It’s a huge problem for Honda. Many owners can actually see the oil level rise on the dipstick with the fuel dilution.

Interestingly, over on the BITOG forums, many used oil analysis reports have shown that while dilution can be 5% or higher, wear metals are not increased. The modern oils of today seem to work with fuel dilution in mind. The issues of engine problems may be with owners who are slack in their maintenance. The general recommendation for GDI owners is a oil change every 5k miles or 7500 at the most if mostly highway miles.

I change my oil every 5k. I should get an oil analysis done one of these days.

Yeah I know what you mean. Crypto mining has really destroyed the graphics card market which is really one of the major reasons I didn't upgrade. Also I usually upgrade every couple of generations, but my god, they are so far apart now. I bought this 980 in Dec. 2014.

Witcher 3 is not hard to run IMO. My heavily modified Skyrim on the other hand...I have a bit older of a setup, all custom loop liquid cooled as well (including the 980). i7-4790k, GTX 980 Strix, 16GB RAM, all still runs what I am playing no problem.

Nice!

Currently, I have a i7-7700k liquid cooled, 1080GTX air cooled, 32mg 2400ms ram, 240SSD (system), 2TB 7200(storage/games), Corsair 850W Gold PSU
I am really hoping that in the future, I can only swap out the graphics card. A friend of mine has a 4ish year old PC and is using a 1080, and his performance on games is identical to mine, so I am thinking and hoping that unless games begin to HEAVILY leverage CPU, the GPU swap will be all I need to keep my system going to 10 years, barring mechanical failure. That's my goal, anyways. I hope the same for my CX5, if it keeps going until 2025, I'm stoked!

Nice!

Currently, I have a i7-7700k liquid cooled, 1080GTX air cooled, 32mg 2400ms ram, 240SSD (system), 2TB 7200(storage/games), Corsair 850W Gold PSU
I am really hoping that in the future, I can only swap out the graphics card. A friend of mine has a 4ish year old PC and is using a 1080, and his performance on games is identical to mine, so I am thinking and hoping that unless games begin to HEAVILY leverage CPU, the GPU swap will be all I need to keep my system going to 10 years, barring mechanical failure. That's my goal, anyways. I hope the same for my CX5, if it keeps going until 2025, I'm stoked!

Very nice! I have a 512GB Crucial SSD (system and a couple games), two 3TB 7200 HDD's (1 is game drive, other storage). 750W Corsair Gold PSU as well.

With your system, I would say a graphics card swap is all you would need. Unless of course whatever patching on Intel systems for Spectre/Meltdown impacts frame rates horribly. In which case, we'll both need new CPU's (rofl)

Yeah, I plan to own my CX-5 till it's dead and done. My JGC lasted me to 300k miles, so we'll see what the CX-5 does. So far so good.

You should have been on this forum 2 years ago when all anyone could talk about was acceleration and handling, lol!
You're exaggerating. Or I missed it as I haven't been here 2 years yet. I remember people were saying the CX-5 was more fun to drive, as they still do. "Fun to drive, it's not an F1 car"... You couldn't wrap your head around this appliance being any fun at all. And personally I hate generalizations. What's our motto around here: Each to their own. :) I LOVE driving this car.

The people on this forum are, by and large, Mazdafans, and they ignore the bad while trumpeting the good, whatever that may be. Nothing wrong with it, but I hate it when they pretend they didn't.

I know you think I'm one of those people. Never have a bad thing to say, always defending Mazda. It's not that I'm a fan boy, I just don't agree with some complaints and I comment when others complain about them. This does not make me a fan boy.
"The backup camera doesn't have bendy lines!" Lame.
"The infotainment sucks" I appreciate it after the old ass Saab one I had. I'd go as far as saying LOVE. And the Commander Knob? GENIUS.
"It's slow!" It's plenty fast enough for me. (CRV is too).
I certainly have complaints and I've voiced them.

Which reminds me that not one 17 or 18 owner answered me about one of my complaints: does the 17 / 18 still have the flaw that you can smell the wiper fluid when you use it and the Heat is on? Have to switch to recirc before I use my washers. Who didn't notice this in production? Tell me it's fixed!

And don't start me on the gaming topic...
(6th gen i7, 16gb, 1070) :D
C-D you play Civ 6? We should co op! :D

The CX-5 certainly isnt underpowered for the average driver which is why they are selling rather well. For the average driver, good throttle response, responsive torque and quick gearing is really the most you will need out in the real world, and this is where the CX-5 excels.

As much as I hate to bash on the CX-5, because it does sell well which helps Mazda, but I suspect that the CX-5 badly needs a more powerful engine. The acceleration times and most importantly the fuel economy In the CX-5 is really not that impressive. 29mpg on the highway is what any relatively modern 6 cylinder can achieve. I get a consistent 32MPG on the highway in my 6 cylinder 528i which is about 500pounds heavier than a CX-5.

What makes it really apparently to me that the CX-5s engine is not optimal for its weight is when you compare the fuel economy figures to a Mazda 6 with the same engine and transmission. 23 city, 29 highway for the CX-5 and 27 - 35 for the Mazda 6.. goes to show what a difference a lighter curb weight and improved aerodynamics make. Plus the 6 is spacious enough and significantly quicker to the point where you are not making any sacrifices by choosing the sedan..

Unless your CX-5 is filled to the brim with items, youre not benefiting in any way. It doesnt make any sense to be looking at crossovers and concerning yourself with performance.

200% correct. 1st: I would not even glance at figures showing acceleration, etc., ever. If I need to - I'd save $ and buy a Porche where such factors - matter. For me - it's a family 4-banger. Period. Into which I get at zero costs: no CVT, awesome handling, riding dynamics and throttle response. My family sits in it - comfortably, can carry quite a large slew of stuff in cargo area. Me: happy.

But - I am now seeing and drove a CR-V, followed by RAV4 and yes - they have improved a lot in the last 2 years. Either Mazda wakes up and instead of these gimmicky stuff like cylinder deactivation (which 95% folks won't care about/understand), G-vectoring (again lost on 90% consumers) seriously look at stuff like higher MPG, more trunk space (perhaps), more interior features, etc. ALONG WITH A BETTER ENGINE. Not diesel - just more powerful engine. This engine is well suited for likes of Mazda 6 but definitely feels under-powered these days in a CX-5.

Plus the 6 is spacious enough and significantly quicker to the point where you are not making any sacrifices by choosing the sedan..

Unless your CX-5 is filled to the brim with items, youre not benefiting in any way. It doesnt make any sense to be looking at crossovers and concerning yourself with performance.

AWD and cargo capacity for the occasional large item made me go with the CX-5. Not available on the 6, but I agree, it's a helluva nice car. I'd like a little more power and better mileage, but not at all unhappy with the current drivetrain. Seems like Mazda really has hit the sweet spot the this style/size vehicle, for me anyway.

My next door neighbor has a 6 [I think it's a 16], and she doesn't drive it in the snow, not even a skiff. Maybe that's just her. We do live up a steep hill. She used to put studded snows on it, but doesn't even bother anymore. She drives their Expedition with studs when it snows. :)

But yeah, if you want performance, CX-5's not the way to go. Doesn't detract from what it is and what it does for me, tho. I love it.

I'm gonna call you opposite mango lol. This looks bad on the cx front page. Fwiw, skyg 2.5t has it's problems as well. Moving to off-topic although it was suggested to be deleted.

You should have been on this forum 2 years ago when all anyone could talk about was acceleration and handling, lol! Now it's all different stuff, and if Mazda should make the CX5 faster or handle better than other CUV's in its range again, it will shift back to it. The people on this forum are, by and large, Mazdafans, and they ignore the bad while trumpeting the good, whatever that may be. Nothing wrong with it, but I hate it when they pretend they didn't.

I've been here and I don't remember anyone praising its accel other than things like its decent/perfectly adequate for what it is, its less slow than other non-turbo/performance CUVs. I've praised the handling since day1 and will continue to do so.

Last edited:
Agree I never looked at acceleration figures. Or MPG. HP certainly and at the time just about every 4 cyl had nearly identical numbers there. Still do afaik. Only the Jeep and Ford had more with bigger engines and subsequently more cost.

On an unrelated note, why? I think the age of China being second-rate has past. They now have much more actual manufacturing know-how than Americans. That is why we outsource to them, now. Noone in America goes to school to learn actual specialized manufacturing anymore.

I actually go to China 4-6 times a year and the wealth there is amazing. Soon China will no longer need to make things for the rest of the world but rather just for their own consumption.

Its no big deal. All direct injection engines have the potential to dilute the oil and especially in cold weather when the mixture runs rich. It has a similar effect to the diesels when they regenerate the particulate filter with neat fuel. All they will do is re map the fuel injection to lessen the effect although it will still do it to some extent without stopping any fuel getting past the piston rings.

Of course if it happened with the Skyactive G engine Mazda would get slammed on this forum by furious owners that are about to throw themselves off a bridge but in fact it demonstrates what a good job they have done. The industry wide problem of dilution is 100% cured on my 17. An incredible achievement for which I commend them.

Thanks. That is good to hear that it can be fixed by a simple software fix.

Thanks. That is good to hear that it can be fixed by a simple software fix.

So Honda's little problem can be fixed with a little software/programming tweak? Right. Give your head a shake.
Just like they fixed the vibration issues with the 2015-16 CR-V's eh? How did that work out for Honda?
Now that we are into 2018, it's safe to say that anyone with a vibrating 2015-2016 CR-V are sheet out of luck.
Honda has basically washed their hands of this problem and left their customers on their own.
They don't give a crap, and probably won't give a crap about this new problem with the 1.5t engine either.
As long as people keep buying these things in the quantity they do, nothing will change.

So Honda's little problem can be fixed with a little software/programming tweak? Right. Give your head a shake.
Just like they fixed the vibration issues with the 2015-16 CR-V's eh? How did that work out for Honda?
Now that we are into 2018, it's safe to say that anyone with a vibrating 2015-2016 CR-V are sheet out of luck.
Honda has basically washed their hands of this problem and left their customers on their own.
They don't give a crap, and probably won't give a crap about this new problem with the 1.5t engine either.
As long as people keep buying these things in the quantity they do, nothing will change.

This is very true. Unless every CR-V comes from the factory running rich, software isnt going to fix the problem... its most likely an injector(s) issue.

I used to do 5K, but now do 7500mi because my commute is 26mi each way, so plenty of time at op temp.
By the way Uno, did you know that this op temp is quite low in Skyactiv engine? I was really surprised. It takes good 20 minutes of highway driving to get oil temperature from the ambient 10C/50F to 75C/167F. In our car it never gets higher then that. Heck, both coolant and transmission fluid temperatures eventually equalize at around 80C/176F, which is understandable, providing the usage of the heat exchanger.
So how much fuel and water is actually burned of off the oil, even during extended highway runs? I dunno, but couldn't be much at these temperatures... City commuting? Forget it.

By the way Uno, did you know that this op temp is quite low in Skyactiv engine? I was really surprised. It takes good 20 minutes of highway driving to get oil temperature from the ambient 10C/50F to 75C/167F. In our car it never gets higher then that. Heck, both coolant and transmission fluid temperatures eventually equalize at around 80C/176F, which is understandable, providing the usage of the heat exchanger.
So how much fuel and water is actually burned of off the oil, even during extended highway runs? I dunno, but couldn't be much at these temperatures... City commuting? Forget it.

unless it reaches 100c, nothing is going to evaporate from the oil. I wonder how the car deals with that? it takes the car some time to warm up because the engine contains far more oil then your average 4 cylinder, about 5L. I recall that BMW's are also like this. the one thing that doesnt make any sense is that BMW compensated for the extra oil by adding a bigger, better oil filter, but the one in our Mazda is quite small for the amount of oil that it filters. the 6 cylinder in my BMW holds 6.5L. I accidentally overfilled the engine to like 8L total because I noticed oil leaking which turned out to be transmission fluid, and the computer still reads that the engine is not overfilled... very aggressive oil pan design just like in the mazda. (many 6 cylinder engines have like 4L) they did this mainly because contaminants getting into the oil will become more diluted, to help dissipate heat better (aggressive driving) and also to help prevent oil starvation during high RPM around fast corners. it is the oil pan design which helps prevent oil starvation and hold all this extra oil.

also, direct injection motors naturally run considerably cooler than a port injected version.

I've praised the handling since day1 and will continue to do so.

it's not just the handling around corners which I like, but I really love the way Mazda managed to balance handling performance with straight line stability. this is mainly due to a carefully tweaked alignment (they significantly increased caster angle in the newer models so that the steering wheel tracks nice and straight while cruising) and honestly, other than BMW, I can't think of any other brand that manages to strike such an excellent balance between straight line stability and good handling composure. the best part is that the car soaks up bumps nicely without affecting handling - something that the Americans did not get right for a very long time. yes the car should dampen bumps in a straight line, but being able to precisely tune dampening so that it is firm without being overly punishing helps to keep the chassis stable and composed when going quickly around a corner with uneven pavement. you don't think twice about this when you hop into your Mazda, but I have really grown to appreciate this fine tuning and delicate balance between two polar opposites more and more as I drive my cars.

Back