New CX5 ordered...now with ming chick hook...

Ok. I've removed it

I think he was referring to you writing "most people insure their vehicles before they drive off the lot". Sounded like you thought the "gap" was temporal, not monetary.

My policies have always covered my new cars automatically.

But Uno's explanation makes a lot of sense, and shows that it MIGHT be worthwhile, depending on your financing and existing coverage.

Maybe. I would check just in case

Each to their own :)

Now why doesn't that surprise me? (rofl2)

I think you misunderstood, again. I'll be calling my agent to find out if I have replacement coverage or not. THAT's what is easier than reading the policy. :)

Last edited:
I think he was referring to you writing "most people insure their vehicles before they drive off the lot". Sounded like you thought the "gap" was temporal, not monetary.

My policies have always covered my new cars automatically.

But Uno's explanation makes a lot of sense, and shows that it MIGHT be worthwhile, depending on your financing and existing coverage.

We used to have temporal coverage called cover note to cover driving off the lot until you got full comprehensive insurance. But that went away about 15 to 20 years ago

I mucked up which insurance policy type is going to be phased out. Was thinking of another. That's all.

Last edited:
Now why doesn't that surprise me? (rofl2)

Due diligence. That's all.

Personally I don't just trust the advice of any agent. I also do my own research then make an informed decision or choice etc

We used to have temporal coverage called cover note to cover driving off the lot until you got full comprehensive insurance. But that went away about 15 to 20 years ago

That sucks. Here in America, last I checked, my insurance covers my new vehicle for a sensible period of time. I don't recall, but I do recall it being enough that I wasn't worried about it driving off the lot. I have since just started calling the insurance over the phone and giving them the VIN of the vehicle before I buy, as insurance cost is a consideration, and if I go ahead with it, I just call them back and ask them to change my policy before I leave the lot, necessary or not.

And we still have it, or the equivalent, as long as you have an existing policy. It has nothing to do with the "gap".

That sucks. Here in America, last I checked, my insurance covers my new vehicle for a sensible period of time. I don't recall, but I do recall it being enough that I wasn't worried about it driving off the lot. I have since just started calling the insurance over the phone and giving them the VIN of the vehicle before I buy, as insurance cost is a consideration, and if I go ahead with it, I just call them back and ask them to change my policy before I leave the lot, necessary or not.

Each person's circumstances are different. I understand your circumstances.

The day before I purchased and picked up my 6, I emailed my dealer and asked for vin and registration plate number. I then rang my insurer, obtained insurance and was active from midnight the day I was picking it up. Most people do this here now. Takes all of about 10 to 20 minutes.

Dealers here also can arrange full comprehensive insurance at time of payment and pick up of the car. They have agreements with different major car insurers here.

Each person's circumstances are different. I understand your circumstances.

The day before I purchased and picked up my 6, I emailed my dealer and asked for vin and registration plate number. I then rang my insurer, obtained insurance and was active from midnight the day I was picking it up. Most people do this here now. Takes all of about 10 to 20 minutes.

Dealers here also can arrange full comprehensive insurance at time of payment and pick up of the car. They have agreements with different major car insurers here.

What kind of interest rates do you get in your country? Here, even on a used car, I'm in the 2's. It makes no sense for me to pay cash, from the standpoint that accidents happen, and for 1/3 of the time I own the car, I will have invested or owe significantly more than the insurance would pay out if someone totaled it. Are rates in your country significantly worse, thus making financing the bad move?

Due diligence. That's all.

Personally I don't just trust the advice of any agent. I also do my own research then make an informed decision or choice etc

I do trust my agent. I've been doing business with him a long time. I have several policies with him. He wants to keep my business. He's honest with me.

I'm sorry you don't have a relationship like that.

No research necessary in this case, just one simple question: "do I have full replacement value coverage?"

You do seem to trust a lot of random stuff you read on the web, tho. (uhm)

The only thing worse than lack of information is misinformation.

Good for you regarding your relationship.

I prefer to do my own research and save money rather pay an agent. Never needed an insurance agent in all my years of having various insurance policies and my coverage has been more than adequate. Doesn't take too much of my time.

As for trusting alot of random stuff, that is your opinion.

Good for you regarding your relationship.

I prefer to do my own research and save money rather pay an agent. Never needed an insurance agent in all my years of having various insurance policies and my coverage has been more than adequate. Doesn't take too much of my time.

As for trusting alot of random stuff, that is your opinion.

Must be different in Oz. We don't pay agents anything, directly at least. They work on commissions from their companies. There's no reason NOT to work with them.

Words speak louder than assertions.

Must be different in Oz. We don't pay agents anything, directly at least. They work on commissions from their companies. There's no reason NOT to work with them.

Basically they seem to be like salesmen. People are wary of agents, salesmen even bank staff on commission trying to pedal policies, products etc. People have been burnt.

Actions speak louder than words.

I'll do the cover note thing on insurance + I'm going to add a hire car this time around.

Plus the Macquarie Bank will waver the $5000 max payment for 1 day for me and I can transfer the whole payment in one shot.

I don't have to worry about a bank check then.

+1, here in America, you have an agent. I have never heard of anyone who didn't. It's like at the hospital, you have a doctor, literally that "if--then". It sounds like either you are very different from others, or your area is very different from our area.

I'll do the cover note thing on insurance + I'm going to add a hire car this time around.

Plus the Macquarie Bank will waver the $5000 max payment for 1 day for me and I can transfer the whole payment in one shot.

I don't have to worry about a bank check then.
Just get the vin and rego and purchase comprehensive insurance the day before and make sure its active from the day you pick up

Last edited:
+1, here in America, you have an agent. I have never heard of anyone who didn't. It's like at the hospital, you have a doctor, literally that "if--then". It sounds like either you are very different from others, or your area is very different from our area.
Most people just get their own insurance. There are free comparison sites where you can do research if needed. Not very hard here in Oz land to get what ever insurance is needed. Agents exist but only seem to be for some people not all and maybe for certain types if they appear to be more complex

Last edited:
Basically they seem to be like salesmen. People are wary of agents, salesmen even bank staff on commission trying to pedal policies, products etc. People have been burnt.

Actions speak louder than words.
You apparently have a very different system there. Here people tend to get an agent for all [or most] of their insurance needs, and stick with them. Of course there are exceptions, and people may change companies, and thus agents. Most insurance here is only available thru agents who run long term, established agencies. They don't stay in business if they're bad news. Thus we don't have to worry as much about them being ripoffs and charlatans. But they're certainly out there, in every business.

And here in this group there are only words... (blah)

Last edited:
Back