New CX5 ordered...now with ming chick hook...

UK Gap is nothing to do with how you pay for the car, it simply gives compensation should you write the car off, two types are available, and never buy through a dealer unless you want to pay more than required.
I've had it on both my last two cars.

I understand perfectly and no I don't need this insurance since I don't purchase a vehicle via a loan:

"Gap insurance (also called motor equity insurance or shortfall insurance) covers the lender for the difference between what you owe on the car loan, and what the car is insured for under comprehensive car insurance, if you write your car off."

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/news/qbe-add-on-insurance-refunds

"QBE Insurance is refunding up to $16 million to over 36,000 customers who bought add-on insurance through car dealerships across Australia. The refunds are being paid because QBE agreed that customers were sold insurance that provided little or no benefit."

"All eligible customers who bought QBE GAP insurance will be refunded at least a year's worth of GAP insurance premiums because the 'new for old' cover included in their comprehensive car insurance from any insurer would have provided similar cover as the GAP insurance for at least the first year."

There are other insurers here who are also refunding so called gap insurance.

Last edited:
In the UK a comprehensive insurance cover would normally cover new for old for the first year, so Gap isn't required for year 1.

Read your insurance policy in detail. You may not need gap insurance

In the UK dealers offer free insurance for 24 hours to enable you to drive it away insured.

Each person's circumstances are different. I understand your circumstances.

The day before I purchased and picked up my 6, I emailed my dealer and asked for vin and registration plate number. I then rang my insurer, obtained insurance and was active from midnight the day I was picking it up. Most people do this here now. Takes all of about 10 to 20 minutes.

Dealers here also can arrange full comprehensive insurance at time of payment and pick up of the car. They have agreements with different major car insurers here.

I used an agent over 40 years ago, now all my insurance is bought over the internet via comparison sites.

You apparently have a very different system there. Here people tend to get an agent for all [or most] of their insurance needs, and stick with them. Of course there are exceptions, and people may change companies, and thus agents. Most insurance here is only available thru agents who run long term, established agencies. They don't stay in business if they're bad news. Thus we don't have to worry as much about them being ripoffs and charlatans. But they're certainly out there, in every business.

And here in this group there are only words... (blah)

I know at least in my area gap from the insurance companies directly is typically very cheap. It may be worthwhile for you depending on your situation. However it’s definitely a good idea not to buy it from the dealer who’s just marking it up.

What the hell is a MING??? And how does everyone but me know what one is but me? :D

I think I have an agent. I know I did at one time. There's an agents name on my policy. But I never call that person. I just call Progressive directly 27 / 7 / 365/

In the UK dealers offer free insurance for 24 hours to enable you to drive it away insured.

I call my insurance company while at the dealer and add the car, remove the old. Takes minutes. I've done this almost every time now.

I’m with Allstate and they auto cover my new cars. I usually just call them shortly after getting the car.

I didn't go for the paint protection and interior protection, but I did get the rust proofing, and I bought the tire and rim warranty. Any tires or rims I put on my CX-5 for the next 3 years are covered if they are beyond repair, it's not limited to the factory installed tires and rims.

I bought my CX-5 from the same dealer i bought my daughters car. I fought with them for an hour to NOT pay for the protection package on her car. They kept dropping the price and i kept saying no. They tried to tell me it was already done, and i reminded them the car was still wrapped in plastic inside and out ... so no it wasn't done. They finally took it off the price.

With my CX-5, i got a great price on the car over the phone - car only. I knew i would have to battle over the protection package. When I got there, they lowered the price on the car another $300, but wanted $900 for protection... i fought for a bit, then the guy says he will give me protection for $300 but only for a year. As i got the purchase price i wanted, I said ok. And they took my trade at the $ amount i wanted. I got in and out in the shortest time ever. That was worth it to me.

But yes - paint protection and interior protection are worthless add ons - especially with leather seats. That is the worst part, is they are selling something of no value.

I bought my CX-5 from the same dealer i bought my daughters car. I fought with them for an hour to NOT pay for the protection package on her car. They kept dropping the price and i kept saying no. They tried to tell me it was already done, and i reminded them the car was still wrapped in plastic inside and out ... so no it wasn't done. They finally took it off the price.

With my CX-5, i got a great price on the car over the phone - car only. I knew i would have to battle over the protection package. When I got there, they lowered the price on the car another $300, but wanted $900 for protection... i fought for a bit, then the guy says he will give me protection for $300 but only for a year. As i got the purchase price i wanted, I said ok. And they took my trade at the $ amount i wanted. I got in and out in the shortest time ever. That was worth it to me.

But yes - paint protection and interior protection are worthless add ons - especially with leather seats. That is the worst part, is they are selling something of no value.

Paint protection in the form of 3M film or similar is not worthless, but the spray-on crap they sell you sure is. I feel it needs distinguishing, as many dealers offer legit wraps.

Paint protection in the form of 3M film or similar is not worthless, but the spray-on crap they sell you sure is. I feel it needs distinguishing, as many dealers offer legit wraps.

True.. not lumping 3M film in the same category. But even that has drawbacks - i had it on my last vehicle. It protects the paint from chips, but it stains easier, and is not as nice looking as paint. And of course i had some chips where the 3M film stopped.

Personally, I don't like the 3M film, and would rather deal with paint chips.

Spray on Fabric and Paint protection are crap. If you want fabric protection, but a $10 bottle of scotch guard and get busy.

True.. not lumping 3M film in the same category. But even that has drawbacks - i had it on my last vehicle. It protects the paint from chips, but it stains easier, and is not as nice looking as paint. And of course i had some chips where the 3M film stopped.

Personally, I don't like the 3M film, and would rather deal with paint chips.

Spray on Fabric and Paint protection are crap. If you want fabric protection, but a $10 bottle of scotch guard and get busy.

I had films on my vehicles in the past. Venture Ultra or something. It wasn't QUITE as nice as paint, but it did prevent chips. My installer did a very good job. My CX5 is riddled with chips and I have to scratch the rust out of them and paint over t hem with the touch-up pin far too often for my liking. I'd wrap my hood and roof and side mirrors next time. Fenders are not hit so bad.

Last edited:
UK Gap is nothing to do with how you pay for the car, it simply gives compensation should you write the car off, two types are available, and never buy through a dealer unless you want to pay more than required.
I've had it on both my last two cars.

Fair enough

In the UK a comprehensive insurance cover would normally cover new for old for the first year, so Gap isn't required for year 1.

Pretty much most insurance policies do this here with the exception of the one I mentioned before which has lifetime new for old replacement

I had films on my vehicles in the past. Venture Ultra or something. It wasn't QUITE as nice as paint, but it did prevent chips. My installer did a very good job. My CX5 is riddled with chips and I have to scratch the rust out of them and paint over t hem with the touch-up pin far too often for my liking. I'd wrap my hood and roof and side mirrors next time. Fenders are not hit so bad.

I really like protective film. I have an invisible bra, old technology on my 2000 Acura. It is crazed and hazed now, but no chips.

They went hard at my wife for the paint, fabric yadda, yadda.

I told her it's her car but as far as I'm concerned it's a firm no. She was still pondering it so I eventually got the price knocked WAY down and extended warranty and free oil changes included otherwise I'd have told them where to go.

Now she has peace of mind, extended warranty and free oil changes and t only added a few hundred back on to the very good price we managed to negotiate so, happy wife...

What the hell is a MING??? And how does everyone but me know what one is but me? :.

I want MING!

url

Latest posts

Back