New CX5 ordered...now with ming chick hook...

Next best thing... come for a holiday

In 2009, the wife and I few from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, to Auckland NZ. Stayed there for 8 days, then flew to Australia and stayed for 3 and a half weeks.

Best. Trip. Ever.

Travel time, door to door, from Ottawa to Auckland was 34 hours. Long obviously, but worth every minute.
We are going back, hopefully, within the next two years.

Are you an EMT or MD or other medical pro?
Not questioning your advice, just checking your credentials. :)

I don't list my credentials online, because I do not have a license to practice online, and I do not want in any way for anyone to be able to hold me liable for any statements I make that they may have construed as medical advice, or me acting in my professional capacity, as I am absolutely NOT acting in my professional capacity, online. I am providing my OPINIONS, and that is all they should be taken as. We live in such a litigation prone society.

If someone takes medical advice from some random dude online no matter what he claims his creds are....well...
You can't save em all, Unob....you can't save em all. [emoji23]

If someone takes medical advice from some random dude online no matter what he claims his creds are....well...
You can't save em all, Unob....you can't save em all. [emoji23]
Yep this is true.

It's kinda like investing.

Lol @ covertly claiming credentials. It's the internet... we're all experts at everything! :p

Yep this is true.

It's kinda like investing.

Correct, but when you list your creds online, it can be construed as offering medical advice, and they can then legally point out that you listed your certifications and occupation and degree and claim you were practicing medicine online, etc. We have a bevy of risk mitigation lawyers advising us in my industry. I try to make their jobs easy.

Benadryl dries out my sinuses which is not what you want to do on a long flight. My sleep aid of choice for long haul flights is booze and melatonin. I'll have a drink or two before boarding the flight, and a couple glasses of wine with the dinner service. Watch a movie or show until my eyes are heavy, and then put in earplugs and a mask over the eyes.

Anyway, a trip to Australia (and preferably New Zealand too) should be on everyone's bucket list. I lived in Sydney for a few years and I miss it badly.

Most people I talk to about it are scared of the flight, but it's never as bad as people think. When I lived in Sydney, I took 7 or 8 trips back and forth to the US to see family or friends. I flew a few different airlines and I would recommend Qantas. They're usually not the cheapest, but they have decent customer service and fly the A380. An overnight flight to Australia departing LAX or SFO or DFW in the late evening would pass quicker and more comfortably than a cross-country flight from Boston to LA. Going back the other way is a bit rougher though, since the long leg departs in the middle of the afternoon.

Qantas allows (or at least did allow) you to pay a little extra for an exit row seat, which was well worth it on the A380. On the other hand, Premium Economy is not. Because of my status (due to frequent business travel to Europe), Qantas would sometimes bump me into Premium Economy when I had booked an Economy class ticket for personal travel. You get better food and wine and a little more recline, but it's not worth paying double.

Benadryl dries you out because it’s a antihistamine and that is what they do. Your idea of melatonin is excellent and something a passenger should try. As for me, with lumbar disc issues for many years plus a cervical deformity, I take prescribed pain meds. That is not something I recommend unless your doctor gives the okay.

Qantas has been known for their great service. I prefer them or All Nippon if I had to fly down under. I avoid the domestic carriers. Service on them is hit and miss, usually miss.

Benadryl dries out my sinuses which is not what you want to do on a long flight. My sleep aid of choice for long haul flights is booze and melatonin. I'll have a drink or two before boarding the flight, and a couple glasses of wine with the dinner service. Watch a movie or show until my eyes are heavy, and then put in earplugs and a mask over the eyes.

Anyway, a trip to Australia (and preferably New Zealand too) should be on everyone's bucket list. I lived in Sydney for a few years and I miss it badly.

Most people I talk to about it are scared of the flight, but it's never as bad as people think. When I lived in Sydney, I took 7 or 8 trips back and forth to the US to see family or friends. I flew a few different airlines and I would recommend Qantas. They're usually not the cheapest, but they have decent customer service and fly the A380. An overnight flight to Australia departing LAX or SFO or DFW in the late evening would pass quicker and more comfortably than a cross-country flight from Boston to LA. Going back the other way is a bit rougher though, since the long leg departs in the middle of the afternoon.

Qantas allows (or at least did allow) you to pay a little extra for an exit row seat, which was well worth it on the A380. On the other hand, Premium Economy is not. Because of my status (due to frequent business travel to Europe), Qantas would sometimes bump me into Premium Economy when I had booked an Economy class ticket for personal travel. You get better food and wine and a little more recline, but it's not worth paying double.

Melatonin is an excellent choice as it also works to re-set your sleep cycle which can be very beneficial when you change time zones significantly.

Benadryl dries you out because it’s a antihistamine and that is what they do. Your idea of melatonin is excellent and something a passenger should try. As for me, with lumbar disc issues for many years plus a cervical deformity, I take prescribed pain meds. That is not something I recommend unless your doctor gives the okay.

Qantas has been known for their great service. I prefer them or All Nippon if I had to fly down under. I avoid the domestic carriers. Service on them is hit and miss, usually miss.

BTW, there is an over the counter sleep aid from nyquil - zzzquil - the same as generic benadryl (so don't waste your money). I have melatonin, and after taking it many times with no affects, it lately seems to work (I travel a lot) - maybe placebo affect.

On international flights i just don't sleep. Tried lay flat beds, alcohol, melatonin, all but a true sleeping pill. I am getting better. I think got 2-4 hours on my last 14 hour flight, so that was something.

BTW, there is an over the counter sleep aid from nyquil - zzzquil - the same as generic benadryl (so don't waste your money). I have melatonin, and after taking it many times with no affects, it lately seems to work (I travel a lot) - maybe placebo affect.

On international flights i just don't sleep. Tried lay flat beds, alcohol, melatonin, all but a true sleeping pill. I am getting better. I think got 2-4 hours on my last 14 hour flight, so that was something.

It is hard to sleep in planes. I’ll give you that. Noise cancelling headphones or buds really help. If you are next to a seat mate who is noisy or moving then there is not much you can do.

The worst is if you fly eastbound. The wife and I are generally up for 30-35 hours straight and with the time zones going backwards it does affect you. The time schedule of the flight is important. Arriving stateside early morning usually is not good. Later is better so you get back in a normal sleep schedule.

Back