New CX5 ordered...now with ming chick hook...

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Akera AWD 2.5L
Ordered a Silver CX5 Akera with everything...2018 built.

No discounts unfortunately on an 18 build. I'm okay with it as I already worked it out and budgeted for it.

The hook...The salesman finalise the deal and then [ gave me a death stare] because the ming chick then does the ming spiel and then finishes the paperwork and credit card details part and in one combined unit now.

Do they not realise this degrades the dealer experience and the joy of ordering a new car.

To the chase...she made the offer...I had my 06 SP23 there and I told her I have washed that 2 times and you [the dealer] may have washed it 4/6 times in 12 years. It's never been polished or waxed. I offered her to take some some photos of it to prove your boeing stuff allegedly didn't improve my old car because I never bought it last time.

I tried not to be rude but come on who wants to go through that rubbish and I'm not afraid to say no with the deals. She looked stunned when I said no.

Mazda Australia/Japan if you read this you are making fools out of yourselfs.

Just to amuse me is that boeing stuff any good and how much is a bottle.

For those in other countries the ming chick sells paint protection etc.[shes known as something else but I changed it in case small children read this forum]

Ordered a Silver CX5 Akera with everything...2018 built.

No discounts unfortunately on an 18 build. I'm okay with it as I already worked it out and budgeted for it.

The hook...The salesman finalise the deal and then [ gave me a death stare] because the ming chick then does the ming spiel and then finishes the paperwork and credit card details part and in one combined unit now.

Do they not realise this degrades the dealer experience and the joy of ordering a new car.

To the chase...she made the offer...I had my 06 SP23 there and I told her I have washed that 2 times and you [the dealer] may have washed it 4/6 times in 12 years. It's never been polished or waxed. I offered her to take some some photos of it to prove your boeing stuff allegedly didn't improve my old car because I never bought it last time.

I tried not to be rude but come on who wants to go through that rubbish and I'm not afraid to say no with the deals. She looked stunned when I said no.

Mazda Australia/Japan if you read this you are making fools out of yourselfs.

Just to amuse me is that boeing stuff any good and how much is a bottle.

For those in other countries the ming chick sells paint protection etc.[shes known as something else but I changed it in case small children read this forum]

Congrats!

I am getting a Silver Akera as well but waiting on the 2018 update where there will be some changes

Avoid mings at all costs. I had them come at me when I purchased my 6 with "special lowered price" I politely said no and that was the end of that

Last edited:
Its the same here in Canada. They would have you believe the car needs paint, wheels, upholstery, carpet and more protections lest it fall apart as soon as it's off the lot.

The other big expense they want you to make is gap insurance to cover the depreciation in the first two years should you be involved in an accident. They were quite surprised to find out I have that way no cost on my insurance. Even if I paid for that through my insurer it would be much less expensive.

All part of the experience.

We only get paint and interior protection offered here.

Do your research to see if you really need GAP insurance depending on your circumstances

Last edited:
Ming and a number of outfits were big in the states during the 70’s malaise when brand new cars were rusting right on the showroom floor. Modern assembly and materials have pretty much made these add on rustproofing obsolete except for the rust belt area where it’s still big business.

Pretty sure my insurance is a new car replacement for 2 years but I'll double check when I do it.

Thats a good reminder.

Ming and a number of outfits were big in the states during the 70’s malaise when brand new cars were rusting right on the showroom floor. Modern assembly and materials have pretty much made these add on rustproofing obsolete except for the rust belt area where it’s still big business.

(iagree)

Pretty sure my insurance is a new car replacement for 2 years but I'll double check when I do it.

Thats a good reminder.

Most insurers provide 1 to 2 years new replacement. The exception is GIO platinum insurance which is life time replacement subject to some terms and conditions

We only get paint and interior protection offered here.

Gap insurance is offered here but from my understanding it is going to be phased out as most people insure their vehicles before they drive off the lot

You need to get gap. I don't think you understand what it is.

Its the same here in Canada. They would have you believe the car needs paint, wheels, upholstery, carpet and more protections lest it fall apart as soon as it's off the lot.

Yup, they're still pushing all that crap here, too. Easy money for them.

If you "need" gap insurance you should buy a less expensive car, or wait until you have a suitable down payment.

Right gap is only needed if you’re upside down and you should not put yourself in that situation. New car replacement is different but would also cover the gap making gap unnecessary.

You need to get gap. I don't think you understand what it is.
I understand perfectly and no I don't need this insurance since I don't purchase a vehicle via a loan:

"Gap insurance (also called motor equity insurance or shortfall insurance) covers the lender for the difference between what you owe on the car loan, and what the car is insured for under comprehensive car insurance, if you write your car off."

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/news/qbe-add-on-insurance-refunds

"QBE Insurance is refunding up to $16 million to over 36,000 customers who bought add-on insurance through car dealerships across Australia. The refunds are being paid because QBE agreed that customers were sold insurance that provided little or no benefit."

"All eligible customers who bought QBE GAP insurance will be refunded at least a year's worth of GAP insurance premiums because the 'new for old' cover included in their comprehensive car insurance from any insurer would have provided similar cover as the GAP insurance for at least the first year."

There are other insurers here who are also refunding so called gap insurance.

Last edited:
If you "need" gap insurance you should buy a less expensive car, or wait until you have a suitable down payment.

That sounds like good advice, but maybe it wasn't or isn't an option, and maybe things change. Remember the Ford Explorer issue some time ago where Firestone and Ford mis-matched the inflation pressure on the tires, and roll-overs and so forth resulted? You couldn't PAY someone to take a Ford Explorer off your hands. So what if you had bought one, put sensible money down, and then that happened and you were hit? Well that sucks, huh? Seems your vehicle is worth $5K less on trade-in than you thought it was last week, sir, so...

GAP. Many CU's offer it for $150 or something. It's absurd not to get GAP.

Further...simple money.

Let's say I want a $30k vehicle. As soon as I buy it, it's going to be worth less. Let's say it loses $3,000 when I drive it off the lot. That's pretty lenient. So, in your book, I should put $3K down on it, at LEAST. Yes? Cash in hand, $3K, plus I should pay for the TTL, etc. out of pocket as well. Otherwise, it will be nearly 2 years of payments before I am "right side up" in the vehicle.

My rationale is this. I get very low interest rates, if at all. So I buy GAP, and I keep my $4500 (TTL+Down) in my pocket making money, or buying other things, in exchange for a total, over the life of the loan, amount of interest paid of around $2500ish-3K, last I calculated it.

Why would I be willing to do this?

Two reasons.

#1, it's spread out over time and the amount and rate are set, and so inflation works FOR me.
#2, If something happens to the vehicle in the first 2 years, I lose nothing, the bank takes the hit. If I drive off the lot and am T-boned, I lose $4500, and the bank pays the rest off, but I WON'T be getting my $4500 back, and that REALLY blows.

So, it's both a gamble, and a convenience issue for me.

Last edited:
I understand perfectly and no I don't need this insurance since I don't purchase a vehicle via a loan:

"Gap insurance (also called motor equity insurance or shortfall insurance) covers the lender for the difference between what you owe on the car loan, and what the car is insured for under comprehensive car insurance, if you write your car off."

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/news/qbe-add-on-insurance-refunds

" QBE Insurance is refunding up to $16 million to over 36,000 customers who bought add-on insurance through car dealerships across Australia. The refunds are being paid because QBE agreed that customers were sold insurance that provided little or no benefit."

There are other insurers here who are also refunding so called gap insurance.

GAP is something financed. Why would you even mention it? It's like you mentioning interest rates when you paid cash. Why?

GAP is something financed. Why would you even mention it? It's like you mentioning interest rates when you paid cash. Why?
Huh? I actually wasn't the first person who mentioned gap insurance. I only commented afterwards and again when you claimed I didn't understand the concept.

Maybe our version is different to yours. I have added extra detail to my explanatory post

I do acknowledge I erred about possible phasing out here.

Last edited:
Huh? I actually wasn't the first person who mentioned gap insurance. I only commented afterwards and again when you claimed I didn't understand the concept.

Maybe our version is different to yours. I have added extra detail to my explanatory post

I do acknowledge I erred about possible phasing out here.

Yeah, it was your last line I had responded to.

Back