door lock feature

I leave my car running when I go into the local coffee shop to get my drink for the morning. The car will not allow me to lock the doors while it is running. I have to turn the car off and go in. Is there something I am missing? I do have the auto lock feature when I walk away activated.

Just to add my 2 cents worth. This is a normal feature, and not a recent one either.
Neither one of my previous cars (2002 Pathfinder, 2006 Altima) would let me lock the doors while the key is in the ignition and engine running.

I never understood why anyone leaves their car running while going into a store or especially getting gas.

Laziness? No offense, OP, but I don't understand why you want to do this. Unless you live in Mayberry. A friend of mine left her car running while she ran into a Convenient. Guess what happened? This was in a safe Cleveland suburb too.

Do you have remote start? Turn car off, get out, lock it, remote start it.

If you want to keep the car running and locked won't you have to smash a window to get in? Thats 19000 dollars a year to get new ones put in every day.

Laziness? No offense, OP, but I don't understand why you want to do this. Unless you live in Mayberry. A friend of mine left her car running while she ran into a Convenient. Guess what happened? This was in a safe Cleveland suburb too.

Do you have remote start? Turn car off, get out, lock it, remote start it.

Laziness? - a button push is that hard? we don't even have to get keys out anymore.... Maybe if someone wants their car to warm up, but even not running, the latent heat in the engine will still be transferred to the radiator, etc. Maybe the OP can share the use case, but I just don't see it being any of the risk.

Laziness? - a button push is that hard? we don't even have to get keys out anymore.... Maybe if someone wants their car to warm up, but even not running, the latent heat in the engine will still be transferred to the radiator, etc. Maybe the OP can share the use case, but I just don't see it being any of the risk.

True. Retract.

Maybe they want to cut down on wear and tear of the starter? :D :D

OP is from Michigan. Perhaps he just wants the car to stay warm. I wouldn't do it, but it's no big deal. [Love those heated seats!!]

It’s illegal here as well as very harmful to the engine and emission system. It will also completely invalidate insurance cover.

Right? If you're leaving he car that long that the temps get that high...you should really shut it off.
Or open the moon roof.

Thanks for the responses. I was just asking because my last 2 cars which were Infiniti’s would allow me to lock the car while it was running using the key fob. I don’t have a remote start. I am not lazy.......

Back