Removing Infotainment system in 2016-2018 CX-9

soal

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 GT
Hi,

I am trying to replace the infotainment system in my CX-9. The interior design for the 2016-2018 CX-9 is the same when it comes to the placement of the infotainment system on the dash (see attached pictures).

Unlike other Mazda models, in the CX-9, the infotainment system (the CMU) does not appear to slide out once the AC strip is removed. It looks like it is in the middle of a section surrounded by a fixed dash. Any idea how to remove it? Will I need to remove the dash section surrounding the infotainment base? or will that base pop open with some plying tools?

I tried to find workshop manuals for the CX-9 for 2016-2018 but no luck.

Any help would be really appreciated it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2018-Mazda-CX-9.jpg
    2018-Mazda-CX-9.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,304
  • CX-9.png
    CX-9.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,232
I am trying to get access to the serial port so I can allow tweaks via USB access. The last firmware update closed root access from the USB. By connecting via serial port, I would be able to recreate that access.

Have you tried any other methods of access? I'm assuming you're trying to get to the area right below the touch screen display, correct? Maybe there is an access point when you remove the glove box? I haven't looked myself, but I would start there, then maybe try accessing it from the passenger or driver side footwell. These are all just suggestions, I haven't looked in any of these areas to know if these are good access points.

Hi,

The center display and the cmu seem to be two separate pieces. Here are the instructions to remove/install the center display for 2016 CX-9.

Good luck.

Attachments

• SM376251.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,690
Hi,

The center display and the cmu seem to be two separate pieces. Here are the instructions to remove/install the center display for 2016 CX-9.

Good luck.

Many thanks for this Jellysfish11. That is exactly what I was looking for and it worked like a charm for the 2018 model.

One more question. Would you have access to the video ports schematics? I am trying to get access to the serial port to install Andoid Auto. With all new cars having the 502 firmware update, it can no longer be installed from the US B outlet in the car and can only be installed by accessing the serial port in the CMU.

The video outlet has two empty ports to the right and left side. I am trying to find out which of these can be used for the RX and TX in a USB to TTL.

Do they make a Bluetooth to Serial Port adapter so that you could update firmware easier in the future?

Do they make a Bluetooth to Serial Port adapter so that you could update firmware easier in the future?

Not that I am aware of. However, it would be a good guess that updates can only be done by the dealer following the .502 update as they have restricted access to the infotainment system from USB and SD card.

Many thanks for this Jellysfish11. That is exactly what I was looking for and it worked like a charm for the 2018 model.

One more question. Would you have access to the video ports schematics? I am trying to get access to the serial port to install Andoid Auto. With all new cars having the 502 firmware update, it can no longer be installed from the US B outlet in the car and can only be installed by accessing the serial port in the CMU.

The video outlet has two empty ports to the right and left side. I am trying to find out which of these can be used for the RX and TX in a USB to TTL.

Hi Soal,

Are you asking about the harness the center display connects to?

Hi Soal,

Are you asking about the harness the center display connects to?

Hi jellyfish11,

I am referring to the video port that plugs into the CMU. in the Mazda 3, this is what it looks like (see attached). in the first pictures, you ill see they have a schematic in the top right of what each port refers to. I suspect the schematics is the same for the CX-9 but I want to make sure before I start to fiddle around with it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    206 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 1.png
    1.png
    226.7 KB · Views: 1,078
Hi soal,

I attached a few schematics about the CMU. Hope they'll give you some idea.

Attachments

• AudioSystem 3a.pdf
    427.1 KB · Views: 793
  • AudioSystem 3b.pdf
    215.9 KB · Views: 817
  • AudioSystem 3d.pdf
    428.9 KB · Views: 645
  • AudioSystem 3c.pdf
    388.6 KB · Views: 620
  • AudioSystem 3h.pdf
    339.5 KB · Views: 619

Hello. Could you upload a video of how you managed that? I've searched everywhere for a video of CX-9 2018 with no luck! The tutorial "jellyfish11" attached made things clearer but it's not that enough for my current level. Besides, how is the wiring and with the adapter going with you? Giving that it's the most important part, otherwise it would defeat the purpose of removing the display in the first place.

Thank you very much.

Has anyone figured this out for the CX-9? I want to do the AA upgrade as well, but I'm lost as to which is TX and RX...

Has anyone figured this out for the CX-9? I want to do the AA upgrade as well, but I'm lost as to which is TX and RX...

AA will likely actually be released before anyone has really figured this out. Release date for the 6 is out, so I would guess a wider release must be forthcoming.

AA will likely actually be released before anyone has really figured this out. Release date for the 6 is out, so I would guess a wider release must be forthcoming.

Regardless of Mazda's release, I think the AIO tweak has other features I'd like to have available.

Do anyone have information on how to remove the USB Hub unit and center console? When the Carplay hubs and cables come out, I think those 2 items need to be removed first.

Do anyone have information on how to remove the USB Hub unit and center console? When the Carplay hubs and cables come out, I think those 2 items need to be removed first.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...it-this-fall&p=6601006&viewfull=1#post6601006

Also, from user snapbox:

"Refer to this thread: https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...nics/228689-carplay-diagram-installation.html

When you order from TB focus, make sure you get the CARPLAY usb interface. You'll see it as an option."

@jellyfish11

I cant see what younhave attached, could you please give a link or re attach. thank you in advance really stuck with tbis removal, so frustrating.

inhave a 2018 cx9 as well.

Back