Machine gray - swirl marks?

chris76

:
2018 CX-9 Signature
In process of selecting a paint color prior to purchase. Love the machine gray color, but worried about maintenance. I currently have a black car and it looks like crap from 10 years of daily driving. Interested in hearing from owners as to whether it shows swirls easily. I don't want a high maintenance paint like on my black car ever again.

Thanks in advance!

In process of selecting a paint color prior to purchase. Love the machine gray color, but worried about maintenance. I currently have a black car and it looks like crap from 10 years of daily driving. Interested in hearing from owners as to whether it shows swirls easily. I don't want a high maintenance paint like on my black car ever again.

Thanks in advance!

Check out some detailing sites like Autogeek and Autopia. Learn about the two bucket method for washing and purchase quality microfiber towels for the job. There are excellent products for every stage of the job.

Check out some detailing sites like Autogeek and Autopia. Learn about the two bucket method for washing and purchase quality microfiber towels for the job. There are excellent products for every stage of the job.

Like me, it sounds like he isn't planning to wash his own car.

Like me, it sounds like he isn't planning to wash his own car.

Then swirls will be the least of their issues. More dirt, pollution etc mixed with rain drops will be more visible.

If you don't have a garage, stick to Silver or White. Else.. get what you want but hand wash or try touch free.

I'd prefer silver to white if no garage. Some stains more visible on white than silver

machine gray wont particularly show poor paint maintenance, but you still have to take care of it.

now that I think about it, the grayish liquid silver I have on my 6 will not show any swirls or marks.

Not cleaning is better than scrubbing or scratching. Mazda paint is soft as hello Kitty instead of being tough like Ninja Hattori.

Not cleaning is better than scrubbing or scratching. Mazda paint is soft as hello Kitty instead of being tough like Ninja Hattori.

That is why product selection is a good idea. Something like Optimum car wash or any brand that has lots of lubricity is preferred. Using a good sealant or coating actually helps to reduce dirt accumulation as water will rinse it off in its own.

That is why product selection is a good idea. Something like Optimum car wash or any brand that has lots of lubricity is preferred. Using a good sealant or coating actually helps to reduce dirt accumulation as water will rinse it off in its own.

Thats right. A layer of wax will really help keep the paint clean.

Maybe a car cover can help as well

Good idea for those parking outside.

Letting all kinds of s*** just bake onto your paint isnt a good idea either...

Thanks in advance!

The darker the color, the more marks it shows. I am not sure where your swirl marks are coming from, but f doing maine polish, black needs more attention, finishing with 3M finesse-it then waffle foam pad and perfect it. Dark blue too.

Even some towels will leave microscratches. Lighter colors don’t show this.

Maybe a car cover can help as well

I used to religiously cover my car, but unless the paint is perfectly clean, a car cover just adds to paint swirling as it will drag any contaminants on the surface of the car across the paint while the cover is being installed and removed.

The only way to eliminate paint swirling is to minimize the amount of contact with the paint. I foam mine to remove the majority of the surface dirt and add lubrication, use ONR with 2 buckets, and then carefully dry it with multiple waffle weave towels.

foam.jpg

you will cause minimal damage to your clearcoat by cleaning carefully and properly. The whole point is to get a layer of wax on your paint. Once the wax is on there, paint maintenance because very easy. Driving through the rain will often clean the car as dirt and water just beads off, paint will look super fresh as mikes accumulate, but most importantly this layer of wax will protect your paint from scratches etc as long as you maintain the layer over time.

All I can say is, a clearcoat with no wax will wear out exponentially faster. I would rather have a lightly scratched clearcoat thats covered in wax rather than the other way around ...

Remember. You can always buff out clearcoat scratches and swirl marks... its not the end of the world. Just read up on paint maintenance and buy some good wax if you care.

My dilemma is that I'm sure there are times when the car will get filthy and the weather won't be conducive to washing it myself late Sunday afternoon, or trying to juggle priorities with a 9 month old baby and I'll probably run it through the wash (no old-style bristle brushes, only foam floppers.) Will this scratch it to hell? Can I have something like CQuartz or OptiCoat applied to help make the clearcoat more durable? Maybe I'll just get it detailed/corrected every year.

My dilemma is that I'm sure there are times when the car will get filthy and the weather won't be conducive to washing it myself late Sunday afternoon, or trying to juggle priorities with a 9 month old baby and I'll probably run it through the wash (no old-style bristle brushes, only foam floppers.) Will this scratch it to hell? Can I have something like CQuartz or OptiCoat applied to help make the clearcoat more durable? Maybe I'll just get it detailed/corrected every year.

Those car washes are called swirl-o-matics for a reason.

The coatings are an excellent idea. Try to stay away from any car wash, even the so called touchless. One option I do use are the coin op power washes if the car gets really dirty and it’s during winter.

The issue even with touchless washes is that the cars that went ahead of you like a mud crusted Jeep will then have small amounts of dirt and sand etc to rub onto your paint. I would avoid them at all cost.

What was mentioned above with foaming is great advice. Use a quality microfiber wash mitt or Matt with lots of fingers and plenty of car wash soap. Two buckets both with grit guards will really help. A drying towel makes that part of the job quick and easy. Once you have a coating or sealant on then another good idea is to use a spray wax like Optimum or Sonax as you finish drying. You can spray these into the wet paint and dry plus leave a protective coating. Wax over sealant or coating is okay. You then do two jobs in the time of one. I like Optimum because it doesn’t leave white marks on the black trim and can be used on any exterior surface.

The CQuartz products are also very good.

I have a meteor Grey Mica 2016 CX-5 that I bought early 2015. I properly maintain it with 2 bucket washes and ONR rinseless wash in the winter. I also have the car coated with Optimum Gloss Coat going on 3 years now. I do not have any significant signs of swirls or scratches. The darker the paint the more likely swirls will show. The Grey isn't too bad when it comes to this but if the car isn't maintained properly you will eventually start to notice it. Like others have said stay away from those high rpm spinning car washes, they are horrible for any paint finish. The soft touch ones aren't much better. The touchless car washes won't induce swirls or scratches since nothing is physically touching the paint but the solvents they use to clean car are quite harsh and will strip any wax or sealant you have applied and they dry the clear coat out over time. I've also seen the rubber, like the door seals, turn a funky goldish color because of the harsh chemicals.

I know hand washing isn't always feasible for everyone so If I had to pick I would say use a touchless wash but only sparingly. Make sure you keep the protection up on the paint with a quality wax or sealant. I like the collonite products or Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. There are tons of other products out there that will protect the paint as well. Carnauba wax gives the best shine but is the hardest to apply and remove and offers the least protection as far as durability is concerned, it will also leave residue stains if it is gotten on any of the black trim pieces.

Like I said, I have coated my car and really like the results. A coating will not add further protection from rock chips or anything like that but it does add some durability in regards to swirl marks and scratches. It's pretty easy to do your self if you take your time and make sure you have a 100% clean car before applying. You will need to polish away any minor swirls before application and make sure you use a panel wipe like carpro eraser or Gtechniq panel wipe to remove any remaining wax or residue before applying. There's some really great SiO2 coatings out there but make sure you stick to a name brand, the no name ebay ones aren't very good. Gtechniq Cystal Serum Light, Carpro Cquartz, Optimum Gloss coat, Gyeon Mors, Mckees's 37, Pinnicale Black label, Britemax, all make great coatings.

I love coatings! once the car is coated they are much easier to maintain and keep clean with regular maintence washes with something like Carpro reset or a similar product. There's also a growing number of coating boosters on the market that prolong the life of any coating. These you usually just spray onto a wet clean vehicle and then go about drying with a microfiber and they had durability to any coating.

Back