Is the 2018 CX-5 engine a Ford?

I just purchased a 2018 CX-5 and somebody was saying it has a Ford engine and Tranny. So I thought I would come here to confirm it didn't. :D

They're wrong. I love to bash on whatever, but they are very wrong, and noone but Mazda put Mazda in your car.

Reading on a CRV forum, a couple of them still think Ford makes engines for the CX-5....public perception as well.

There is one...a plastic piece which is part of the stock intake system has FoMoCo stamped on it on my 2016 Mazda6. Otherwise the actual engine/tranismission itself is 100% MAZDA made in Hiroshima, Japan.

Oh and if you guys open up your key fob to replace the CR2025 battery chances are it says Mitsubishi inside.

https://www.mhi.com/products/category/lithium.html

From Wikipedia:
The first-generation CX-9 was originally fitted with a 3.5 L Ford V6 engine, but, in 2008 the engine was changed to a 3.7 L unit producing 204 kW (274 hp) and 366 N⋅m (270 lb⋅ft) of torque. This engine was coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission.

I owned a 2008 CX9.
That engine was from Ford. Mazda modified the intake manifold and retuned engine.
The NAVI system was from Toyota.
Overall, it s a mix of Toyota/Ford.
Yes, that transfercase from Ford was problematic.

Not everything you see on Wikipedia is correct. Ford has an identity to protect. I assure you that your V6 motor was not a ford design.

Last edited:
There is some misinformation with the old Ford and Mazda alliance. It may be model dependent. I know someone who had a older Mazda 6 and the UAW stickers were bigger than the emblem. They were hard to remove. That person now has a 17 CX5 and they enjoy it immensely.

Not everything you see on Wikipedia is correct. Ford has an identity to protect. I assure you that your V6 motor was not a ford design.

I have no info on the engine. But everyone needs to be aware that ANYONE can write ANYTHING on Wikipedia.
It's a valuable resource, and a great place to get basic info, but what you read there must always be verified.

Mitsubishi makes everything from Ball point pens to nuclear reactors. Automobiles are actually a very small part of their business.

While the spinoffs originated from the parent, they are no longer the same company. In fact, Mitubishi is part of the Renault-Nissan group. As distinct as Ford and Mazda now.

While the spinoffs originated from the parent, they are no longer the same company. In fact, Mitubishi is part of the Renault-Nissan group. As distinct as Ford and Mazda now.

That is true for Mitsubishi Motors. There is also Mitsubishi Steel, Mitsubishi Electric, Mitsubishi Shipbuilding etc etc. It’s a huge conglomerate.

I know I was a big believer of the SkyActiv platform being all Mazda, but I have my doubts. I recently got my CX-5 checked by a mechanic and he said he had his hands on quite a few CX-5's, and he could tell me a few interesting things. One being that at least the rear subframe is definately from a Ford Mondeo. Also, some parts led me to believe there is a link with Ford. But to be honest, I don't mind it that they use parts from other manufacturers, as long as it's a quality part.

One problem though, is rust. This car is 4 years old (built in 2014) and the chassis is rusting already. He told me earlier models also had the metal sheets rusting from the inside (!). He checked mine and fortunately it's not rusting. He also suspects Mazda improved rust prevention over time. But it's sad this 4 year old car's chassis is rusting already. But from what I've heard is that even new BMW's start rusting this easy..

Last edited:
I just purchased a 2018 CX-5 and somebody was saying it has a Ford engine and Tranny. So I thought I would come here to confirm it didn't. :D
Someone trying to make you feel bad about your new Mazda. People love talking down to others when it comes about personal choices. No Ford BS in these CX-5.

I know I was a big believer of the SkyActiv platform being all Mazda, but I have my doubts. I recently got my CX-5 checked by a mechanic and he said he had his hands on quite a few CX-5's, and he could tell me a few interesting things. One being that at least the rear subframe is definately from a Ford Mondeo. Also, some parts led me to believe there is a link with Ford. But to be honest, I don't mind it that they use parts from other manufacturers, as long as it's a quality part.

One problem though, is rust. This car is 4 years old (built in 2014) and the chassis is rusting already. He told me earlier models also had the metal sheets rusting from the inside (!). He checked mine and fortunately it's not rusting. He also suspects Mazda improved rust prevention over time. But it's sad this 4 year old car's chassis is rusting already. But from what I've heard is that even new BMW's start rusting this easy..

Looks like any 4 year old car in a snow/ocean area i have every seen; especially when not regularly washed with clean water during winter months. Metal chassis gets dirty, salt and water sticks, rust forms. It happens to anything metal over time.

You have heard BMWs rust like this, before all cars will see surface rust on chassis members. These parts are thick metal, and are not painted to the same specs as the body/sheet metal. They are unlikely to rust through, but people rarely wash these areas well.

I don't know what parts the 2014 used, but since this thread is about the 2018, i agree with others that there are no Ford parts.

It is pure Mazda. Everything is new and has no connections to Ford.

I've seen one small part marked FoMoCo. I forget where - it was some plastic thingy. TBH Mazda did so much design work for Ford over the years I would assume there will be similarities simply because they're reusing and updating their own CAD drawings.

That is true for Mitsubishi Motors. There is also Mitsubishi Steel, Mitsubishi Electric, Mitsubishi Shipbuilding etc etc. Its a huge conglomerate.

Too bad the Evo had to go. BTW who makes or designed the Ford Ecoboost engines? Don;t they also have an ecoboost v6?

Too bad the Evo had to go. BTW who makes or designed the Ford Ecoboost engines? Don;t they also have an ecoboost v6?

That I am not sure if. I know Mazda was instrumental in developing the Duratec series. If the Eco Boost is based on those with mods then it’s possible.

Mitsu developed the GEMA engine with other companies but one of the restrictions was that each company had to use their own head design. Mitsubishi had kept the MIVEC system to themselves. So Hyundai Kia and Chrysler had to use their own head designs with the GEMA block.

Some interesting history.

I've seen one small part marked FoMoCo. I forget where - it was some plastic thingy. TBH Mazda did so much design work for Ford over the years I would assume there will be similarities simply because they're reusing and updating their own CAD drawings.

Possibly left over parts that Mazda are trying to get rid of

Back