Oil Splash Marks

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey guys!

So, I just got my first oil change at Mazda. I didnt have them wash the car after the oil change, and when I got home I had about 5 small oil spots on various spots on my drivers side.

I checked under the hood and didnt see any oil. Has this happened to anyone else? Where might this oil be coming from?

I would watch it very closely and check your dipstick often. If they reappear then a trip back to the dealer would be best. Let them fix any mistake they made.

The resin plastic shield underneath can hide any leaks so I wouldn’t sit on this too long. If in doubt go back immediately.

I would watch it very closely and check your dipstick often. If they reappear then a trip back to the dealer would be best. Let them fix any mistake they made.

The resin plastic shield underneath can hide any leaks so I wouldnt sit on this too long. If in doubt go back immediately.

I cleaned it up and then went on a long drive. No oil or greased reappeared. Ill watch it, and if need be head back to the dealer. It was just odd.

Hey guys!

So, I just got my first oil change at Mazda. I didn’t have them wash the car after the oil change, and when I got home I had about 5 small oil spots on various spots on my drivers side.

Were the oil spots on the driveway, or were there some oil drips on the side of the car (fender?)
Sounds like the oil change dudes were careless and spilled some or dripped some from the bottle or old filter.

Were the oil spots on the driveway, or were there some oil drips on the side of the car (fender?)
Sounds like the oil change dudes were careless and spilled some or dripped some from the bottle or old filter.

There were several oil spots on my fender and all the way back in various spots. This was the only place they were. I power washed them off at a coin-op, and have yet to see them return.

Everything looks good! I emailed the service advisor supervisor, and got the response that here is a rail under there that can catch oil. He then stated that is what most likely happened... whatever!

Sometimes oil is spill on the under shield and takes time to find it way to the floor.
I've had the same on an Xtrail.

There were several oil spots on my fender and all the way back in various spots. This was the only place they were. I power washed them off at a coin-op, and have yet to see them return.

I am still curious why you don’t think it was somethng you drove through or got splashed on vehicle from an external source?

If oil spots were on outside of fender, i see no way for it to originate from underneath -especially without evidence underneath.

I have other cars with all kinds of underbody cladding. Spilled oil shows up when it finds a seam, even days later. Never had it wind up on a fender.

It might be something simple like a tech with latex gloves that just finished draining the oil on your car or another. The tech removed his gloves and a few drops shot off unknowingly and landed on your car. Stuff happens.

It might be something simple like a tech with latex gloves that just finished draining the oil on your car or another. The tech removed his gloves and a few drops shot off unknowingly and landed on your car. Stuff happens.

I was thinking that too... or maybe as he was wheeling the oil drain barrel out from under he jerked it and caused a small splash never noticing spots on fenders.

I doubt that oil was dripped into the under pan/rails of the car with no evidence of it anywhere but some spots on the fender.

Sometimes mechanics are sloppy and sometimes are forgetful . When I was getting my first oil change on my new 1991 BMW 318 IS way back when, the tech forgot to replace the oil filler cap. By the time I got the car home there was smoke billowing out from under the hood. I popped the hood to check it out and found oil sprayed everywhere in the engine compartment. The dealership towed the car back and cleaned it up but couldn't get all the staining off the aluminum head cover. Lesson to be learned , I always check that the oil cap has been replaced if someone else does my oil change.

Sometimes mechanics are sloppy and sometimes are forgetful . When I was getting my first oil change on my new 1991 BMW 318 IS way back when, the tech forgot to replace the oil filler cap. By the time I got the car home there was smoke billowing out from under the hood. I popped the hood to check it out and found oil sprayed everywhere in the engine compartment. The dealership towed the car back and cleaned it up but couldn't get all the staining off the aluminum head cover. Lesson to be learned , I always check that the oil cap has been replaced if someone else does my oil change.

And of course THAT particular thing will never happen again... but something else unexpected will. lol

Back