Rim Colors, need your opinions.

mel_vin

:
2017 Mazda CX5 GS (Touring)
Since I ended up with at GS/Touring cause I specifically wanted 17" and saving almost 4k between trim levels

Thinking of getting these as I do like the look of the 19" that comes with the GT

oz_adrenalina_mfba_pdpfull.jpg

What y'all think ?

Question, I can reuse the TPS that comes with the car on these rims right? Tirerack sells a kit but say the one that comes with the car "may" be compatible.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, last Friday, I ordered replacement wheels and tires for my 2017 CX-5 GT AWD and the aftermarket TPMS were a discussion point I had with them. They did some research and called me back...according to them, there are no aftermarket sensors that are compatible with the Mazda monitoring system at this time and that the factory sensors have to be used. I will have my OEM sensors swapped out once I receive the new wheels/tires.

By the way, those OZ wheels you have selected, in my opinion, are much better looking than the factory 19" GT wheels.

hey, thanks for the reply! Great info thanks! Yeah I wanted a similar look that wasnt so pizza slicey if that makes sense. The OEMs that come on the GS are a bit to spokey for my tastes. Im trying to figure out how to upload this pic here as it shoes it configured on the site. I quite like the look, so I think Im gonna pull the trigger. Hopefully I can sell the OEMs to help offset some of the cost.

OK here I think:

attachment.php

or option 2

attachment.php

I think I like option 1 better (the original OZ one)

I'm just not big on aftermarket rims. The factory rims are usually better. I remember a BMW M3 owner that I ran once in my 370Z pulling over and us chatting a bit. He complimented my forged RAYS up and down, left and right, talking about how whoever owned this car before me must have seriously known t heir stuff and spared no expense*, when I told him they were on the car when I bought it. I then had to tell him, no, I was the first owner. No, it wasn't some back-room deal, all 370Z Sport/Touring cars come with forged RAYS. Blew his mind. I don't recall what's on my CX5, or if Mazda puts decent rims on their cars, but they've functioned fine so far. What's wrong with your stock rims?

*The insurance company had to pay $2500ish to replace 3 out of my 4 rims when their client hit my car and pushed me into a guardrail. That's "insurance deal" prices!

I'm just not big on aftermarket rims. The factory rims are usually better. I remember a BMW M3 owner that I ran once in my 370Z pulling over and us chatting a bit. He complimented my forged RAYS up and down, left and right, talking about how whoever owned this car before me must have seriously known t heir stuff and spared no expense*, when I told him they were on the car when I bought it. I then had to tell him, no, I was the first owner. No, it wasn't some back-room deal, all 370Z Sport/Touring cars come with forged RAYS. Blew his mind. I don't recall what's on my CX5, or if Mazda puts decent rims on their cars, but they've functioned fine so far. What's wrong with your stock rims?

*The insurance company had to pay $2500ish to replace 3 out of my 4 rims when their client hit my car and pushed me into a guardrail. That's "insurance deal" prices!
I don't think I've ever disagreed with some thing you've said more. The CX-5 has never had decent looking Touring Rims. The 18s GT rims are ... Not well loved except by the owners (you know it's true GT owners). Porsche standard rims on the Cayman...godawful.
Cheeokee stock rims are pretty nice. However there are way way more better looking and higher quality rims out there.
In fact, I feel the opposite...most factory rims suck. The 14-16 GT rims being one example of factory rims being gorgeous and tough.
🦇 Blah blah <Vampire

Last edited:
Usually, the OEM rims look good because they were designed to go with the look of the car. Mazda is hit or miss with this though. Their base model wheels are usually very bland or ugly, though I think the 2018 17 inch wheels look okay. The wheels on the higher trims are usually better looking. Case in point, the GT rims for the 2013-2016 CX-5 GT. I'm a big fan of the 2016 GT vampire fang wheels.

To the OP, if you're interested in other wheel designs. I think that the best looking wheel on a CX-5 in the "Show me your wheels" thread, were 20 inch TSW Bathurst wheels. To me they seemed OEM like as it just blends with the lines of the CX-5.

yeah I agree, but pricey for me to get them here. I can get these under a a grand from the mazdaparts.ca

attachment.php

What do you think of these? I have machine grey.

(iagree)
Those look nice... and I am not usually one for black wheels either...

Any way to get more specs or details on them?

I believe that, the Ford Mustang Brembo wheels, should fit our cars as well. They look pretty good, and some people are getting rid of them, for pretty cheap.

Hey All,

Sorry wanted to start a new thread on this topic. So I have the Touring (GS) in Machine Grey, and have the standard 17" spokey wheel in I guess what i s called Gun Metal color. I dunno, but I just dont like the look against the Machine Grey, find that is kida just blends in to easily. Maybe Im old school, but I always found the silver rim make your tires pop out....and now the trend is black rims which kinda baffles me a bit. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think rim color really depends on paint color too. White/Red cars I think can get away with a gun metal and in the show me your wheels thread Ive seen some nicely done wheels in that combo.

Help me uderstand the black color craze. Is it here to stay? I think when they get dirty they look worse than a dirty silver rim. Im not much of a trend follower, I march to the beat of my own drum usually. IF you are an anti silver type person, explain why?

I had posted this rim in another thread, which is more 2 tonned...but Im hesitant to pull the trigger as the pic on the site only shows it on a black 2017..and I like it, and hate it too lol. Would have to see this in person, and on a Machine Grey car. My worry is if I feel the gun metal grey gets lost within the Machine Grey, how would a rim with black on it fare in comparison? I like that its 2 tone so you see the machine (silver) finish to get the "pop" Im used to...

attachment.php

Also been driving for 25 years and never had an after market rim. With the whole spacer thing/ center ring thing, whats it like to maintain them? Do those need replacing? Do they ever break? I can get a seriously good deal on a very plain 5 spoke very stock looking silver rim from tirerack much cheaper than the Mazda rims obviously. A sport edition A14 in hyper silver, or a S7 even cheaper. made in china, wonder about these tho in terms of durability.

Sport Edition:
attachment.php

These are MSW, which I guess is a well known Brand I guess?? (noob to aftermarket rims) Leaning more towards 5 spoke design if I go this route:

attachment.php

attachment.php

These Oz rims are the closest to the Mazda 2 tones Im considering above and in at least in this pic, its against the Machine Grey which looks decent, but wonder how it would fair in person.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Guess Im chicken to go aftermarket route, dealign with offsets and center rings bla bla bla. Your opinions will be much helpful!

Hey All,

Sorry wanted to start a new thread on this topic. So I have the Touring (GS) in Machine Grey, and have the standard 17" spokey wheel in I guess what i s called Gun Metal color. I dunno, but I just dont like the look against the Machine Grey, find that is kida just blends in to easily. Maybe Im old school, but I always found the silver rim make your tires pop out....and now the trend is black rims which kinda baffles me a bit. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think rim color really depends on paint color too. White/Red cars I think can get away with a gun metal and in the show me your wheels thread Ive seen some nicely done wheels in that combo.

Help me uderstand the black color craze. Is it here to stay? I think when they get dirty they look worse than a dirty silver rim. Im not much of a trend follower, I march to the beat of my own drum usually. IF you are an anti silver type person, explain why?

I had posted this rim in another thread, which is more 2 tonned...but Im hesitant to pull the trigger as the pic on the site only shows it on a black 2017..and I like it, and hate it too lol. Would have to see this in person, and on a Machine Grey car. My worry is if I feel the gun metal grey gets lost within the Machine Grey, how would a rim with black on it fare in comparison? I like that its 2 tone so you see the machine (silver) finish to get the "pop" Im used to...

attachment.php

Also been driving for 25 years and never had an after market rim. With the whole spacer thing/ center ring thing, whats it like to maintain them? Do those need replacing? Do they ever break? I can get a seriously good deal on a very plain 5 spoke very stock looking silver rim from tirerack much cheaper than the Mazda rims obviously. A sport edition A14 in hyper silver, or a S7 even cheaper. made in china, wonder about these tho in terms of durability.

Sport Edition:
attachment.php

These are MSW, which I guess is a well known Brand I guess?? (noob to aftermarket rims) Leaning more towards 5 spoke design if I go this route:

attachment.php

attachment.php

These Oz rims are the closest to the Mazda 2 tones Im considering above and in at least in this pic, its against the Machine Grey which looks decent, but wonder how it would fair in person.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Guess Im chicken to go aftermarket route, dealign with offsets and center rings bla bla bla. Your opinions will be much helpful!

me personally, I am not a fan of how silver rims look on a car with darker paint. it does pop, but I think not in a good way. the rim should somehow go with the colour of the car itself. I am a big fan of those Mazda aftermarket rims you posted. I like how they blend in with the paint while popping due to the chrome accents at the same time - looks great.

I would not take a risk with some cheap chinese rims off tirerack. honestly, you're best off getting a set of reputable rims off the local classified ads and inspecting them to make sure there are no cracks in the rim, etc. even if you do find replica rims, you can easily tell if they are road-worthy or not just by looking at the inside of the rim. even the 19" rims have a 55 series sidewall for the CX-5 which is plenty of cushion to protect even the worst replica rims from the worst roads, so I think you will be safe.

now that I think about it, you know what would look awesome on a machine-gray Mazda while also popping out? some nice bronze/gold JDM rims. those would go very nicely with your paint. my BMW is silver, and personally I like how silver rims look on a silver car. my summer rims are these chrome multi-spoke sporty rims, and they suit the silver paint nicely while also matching the chrome accents around the car. I think it's all about getting the right balance between rims that blend in but also pop at the same time.

I have to be honest guys, after looking at these, I think the pizza cutter wheels look better.

I have the same car/color, been playing around with the TR website trying on different wheels. the problem with the vehicles pictured is the pic is flat and kinda chalky looking. So hard to develop a taste for the picture. Me, I'm going with the enkie black painted type 48 wheels. I look at a lot of cars these days and more and more i see any color car with black wheels and it looks different and distinguishable with black wheels. I used to think black wheels looked stupid, like the owner of the car did not care to wash the brake dust off the the wheels or the owner felt like driving a piece of junk with the black steel wheels. It was not until i put the black wheels on my MX5 that I really began to gravitate to the look. And now I think gray cars are the new black and the black wheels makes the look. All subjective, I think the black wheels craze is still rising.

Latest posts

Back