OEM Interior lighting kit (footwell) KB7W-V7-050

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Has anyone installed this on a 2017-18? Anyone have the PDF instructions?

Curious if it works like it is part of the factory lighting system and not some manual switched setup like some other mazda add-ons.

Thanks!

I have that installed. part $300 and installation fee $75 with tax included. I have mine installed in the dealer.
Cons: 1.to dim; 2.they installed a kill switch next to where the hood release is(it only kills when the door closed if chosen illumination off); 3. after installation rattling noise everywhere(took it to dealer they did not admit the noise due to their wiring) 4. expansive total cost $375.

recommended going with the led strip or something.

I have that installed. part $300 and installation fee $75 with tax included. I have mine installed in the dealer.
Cons: 1.to dim; 2.they installed a kill switch next to where the hood release is(it only kills when the door closed if chosen illumination off); 3. after installation rattling noise everywhere(took it to dealer they did not admit the noise due to their wiring) 4. expansive total cost $375.

recommended going with the led strip or something.

I have the kit, but I'm really considering not installing them. The instructions make it sound like you have to tear up the dash and the rear cargo area to tap into the sub harness. It sounds like the end product is not exactly what one would wish for, you're saying the lights are pretty dim?

Dim is on when the headlights are on, it turns bright once any doors are open whether headlights on or off.
I'm happy with mine, I dunno about the 2017 model. I really suggest you just trace the wire where you can tap easily without removing the dashboard.

Dim is on when the headlights are on, it turns bright once any doors are open whether headlights on or off.
I'm happy with mine, I dunno about the 2017 model. I really suggest you just trace the wire where you can tap easily without removing the dashboard.

Wait, you're saying they run full time on dim? That's not too distracting is it? I have the 2018, but I think it's pretty much the same as the 2017 the kit part# is the same. Good to hear you're happy with it, I suppose I will go ahead with the install.

Wait, you're saying they run full time on dim? That's not too distracting is it? I have the 2018, but I think it's pretty much the same as the 2017 the kit part# is the same. Good to hear you're happy with it, I suppose I will go ahead with the install.

(squinty)

Please go a guide or snap some pics! I'd love to do it too... but... need some documentation

+1 if someone can take some pics or a video. I just bought the kit but am now having second thoughts about installation.

I'm not sure if I understand how it will work in these cases
1. Switch off
a. Door open
b. Door closed
2. Switch On
a. Door open
b. Door closed

Is the only difference that the switch being ON leaves the lights on all the time vs OFF only turning the lights on with the doors? Or does the off switch turn the lights off all the time.

I recently bought a 2018 CX-5 and had these lights installed. Took dealership 3 days to install, claimed it was the first time they had done it. The ambient lighting is currently synced with my factory interior map/dome lights. So when the dome lights cut out, so does the ambient lighting.

Install kit also came with an on/off kill switch. Although they installed it, the kill switch itself doesnt work. The Mazda dealership called Coporate engineers to help troubleshoot, but ultimately never figured it out. Anyone else have this issue with the ambient lighting kill switch not functioning?

Last edited:
+1 if someone can take some pics or a video. I just bought the kit but am now having second thoughts about installation.

I'm not sure if I understand how it will work in these cases
1. Switch off
a. Door open Lights On
b. Door closed Lights Off (Slow Dim Down After Closing Doors)
2. Switch On
a. Door open Lights On
b. Door closed Lights On

Is the only difference that the switch being ON leaves the lights on all the time vs OFF only turning the lights on with the doors? Or does the off switch turn the lights off all the time.

I have had it on mine since new. It's pretty subtle, but nice ambient light in the footwell areas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_2033.JPGIMG_2036.JPG

I have had it on mine since new. It's pretty subtle, but nice ambient light in the footwell areas.]
So do you mind to answer the question gman35124 asked: "Is the only difference that the switch being ON leaves the lights on all the time vs OFF only turning the lights on with the doors? Or does the off switch turn the lights off all the time?" I kind of remember when I saw a schematic which shows "OFF" would turn the footewll lights off all the time.

And bigtex, what happened to your DRL kit from Japan?

Got the daylight kit today from Japan:

attachment.php
B62TV7790.JPG

I won't have time to mess with it until this weekend, but I found a better description translated from Japanese:

"The front position lights at the same time as the engine starts! exclusive use's original daylight unit It is a kit mainly for using the LED position lamp as a daytime light. ━ ━ ━ product features ━━━ ■ One switch allows ON / OFF of daylight ■ Since a dedicated connector is used, there is no need to cut the wiring! ■ By turning on the daytime lamp, Improve visibility of the vehicle to improve safety Improve safety by turning on the switch ■ Position lamp lights at the same time as the engine starts! ■ Since the genuine connector is used, it is easy to install! This DAYLIGHT UNIT SYSTEM By installing KIT it is possible to light only the genuine position lamp as Daytime light during daytime. Since genuine switch function priority design, light switch is auto, small, even at the position of head light, there is no influence on the vehicle at all when using. ■ With instruction manual with image!"

Also, you have to remember that while DRL's are allowed in the US but not required, they are prohibited in Japan. Not sure how this Japanese mod gets around their DRL ban unless the ban is just against headlights as DRL's as this is a genuine Mazda accessory sold there.
Anyway, I have disabled my current DRL's, so my car is set up just like a stock Japanese car. If all goes well, I should be able to hit the on switch (which is just like the cheap looking little toggle switch that comes with the interior footwell lighting) and the led halo should come on when I start the car. As a bonus, i can still turn all of my lights off if i need to.
But most importantly, I should be able to set the lights to auto and leave this new toggle switch set to on. When I start the car and drive during the day, just the led halo will be lit with no tail lights or parking lights. Then when it gets dark, headlights and tail lights will come on with the halo. Also, for anyone interested in the grille illumination kit, once you have done this mod, all the wiring is ready for that so it would be easy to add the led grille accent if you wanted.

Let's just say that it was a failure, haha. Installation instructions were poor, in Japanese, for right-hand drive, and the work was way beyond my abilities and I don't think connectors were going to match up anyway.

Let's just say that it was a failure, haha. Installation instructions were poor, in Japanese, for right-hand drive, and the work was way beyond my abilities and I don't think connectors were going to match up anyway.
That's unfortunate! I wish some gen-2 owner can read Japanese and had a chance to try it.

BTW did you installed this OEM footwell lights by yourself or by dealer?

The dealer. I worked out a deal when I purchased my new CX5. They didn't have any problems and it only took about 3 hours and no rattles, but each dealership is different of course.

Attachments

• KB7WV7050 Interior Lighting kit Inst(E).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 636
From those instructions you can see why some dealerships have issues with the install. There are a lot of steps and disassembly of both sides of the lower dash not to mention a tap that has to happen from the rear which involves basically disassembly of the rear area.

I'm sure if a tech has gone through it once, I'd be ok with him/her doing another with more ease.

Back