CX5 - LED fog light + turn signal

I installed these lights last year on my 2020 Signature. Worked and look great but recently noticed that a few of the LED's when showing white wont come on but when signaling amber the same few LED's show amber and work fine. Can anyone have any advise? Do have change the whole light kit or is maybe something else is wrong and I can repair.

You do NOT need to remove the bumper ! All this can be done from under the car and on top to run wiring.
Tools needed from memory.
Jacks and jack stands you can use ramps if you have them
Sockets, 10mm and 12 or 14 mm for plastic covers on bottom
Small flat head screw driver for pull tabs
Regular and short screw driver, I think #2 tip maybe smaller ( small about 2-3 inch long)
Wire striper and crimper
(4) T-taps
(I used one straight tap on ground but you could use a T-tap there too)
Add-a-fuse if you don't want to wire to fog lights and run red wire to fuse box KEY ON fuse
Velcro and zip ties to secure wires and control box
Wire loom to protect wiring, I used 2 sizes, but I have plenty in my garage
Electrical tape to secure ends of wiring loom optional
Replying to you since you seem to be expert on these and are still posting.

I just bnought a 2021 Carbon Turbo AWD. It does not have fog lights are the upgraded headlights found in Grand Touring/Signature etc. Anyway, a lot of the links in this thread don't work anymore so if it is possible on my vehicle which ones do I buy? Some of them I see say requires fog lights.

I found these on Amazon:

And there are several on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

So will any of these work on my 2021 CT AWD without fog lights? What would it cost to get them installed? Anyone in driving distance from Ocala Florida that could do this I would be happy to pay you.

Thanks for any help.

These can all be installed independent of fog lights (e.g. you don’t need to have OEM fog lights for them to work). I have fog lights in my 2019 and I simply wired these lights to an always on fuse in the engine bay fuse panel.

I haven’t had a single issue.

You won’t need to pay anyone to install these. Get a pair of rhino ramps and drive up on them. You’ll have plenty of room to install them. Should take a only a couple hours if you’re taking your time.

Here is an example video of installation:

I didn’t have to remove any part of the bumper or fender molding. All I had to do was turn wheels in and unclip wheel well molding and lift it up out of the way.

I installed these lights last year on my 2020 Signature. Worked and look great but recently noticed that a few of the LED's when showing white wont come on but when signaling amber the same few LED's show amber and work fine. Can anyone have any advise? Do have change the whole light kit or is maybe something else is wrong and I can repair.
Unfortunately, I would guess you would have to replace that unit, unless you have the tools and ability to replace the SMD LED s ( microscope, tweezers, hot air gun, etc.).

Replying to you since you seem to be expert on these and are still posting.

I just bnought a 2021 Carbon Turbo AWD. It does not have fog lights are the upgraded headlights found in Grand Touring/Signature etc. Anyway, a lot of the links in this thread don't work anymore so if it is possible on my vehicle which ones do I buy? Some of them I see say requires fog lights.

So will any of these work on my 2021 CT AWD without fog lights? What would it cost to get them installed? Anyone in driving distance from Ocala Florida that could do this I would be happy to pay you.

Thanks for any help.
Definitely would not say I am an expert, just been working on cars for over 40 years. You've already gotten a few great replies, and there are multiple threads about these DRL/Turn Signals. Mine actually came with the blackout parts for vehicles without fog lights. I can not tell from the pictures of the 2021 CX-5's if they are separate. On the 2018-2019, maybe other years, if the vehicle does not come with lights, the oem blackout was detachable from the plastic strip where these lights go. I did a search on ebay, and did not get as many results as I used to. I preferred the double layered lights opposed to the arrows, but that's just personal preference. There have been some reports of people having single or multiple leds going out. I almost bought a second set back them just to have a backup pair. Here's the type I bought from ebay

These can all be installed independent of fog lights (e.g. you don’t need to have OEM fog lights for them to work). I have fog lights in my 2019 and I simply wired these lights to an always on fuse in the engine bay fuse panel.

I haven’t had a single issue.

You won’t need to pay anyone to install these. Get a pair of rhino ramps and drive up on them. You’ll have plenty of room to install them. Should take a only a couple hours if you’re taking your time.

Here is an example video of installation:

I didn’t have to remove any part of the bumper or fender molding. All I had to do was turn wheels in and unclip wheel well molding and lift it up out of the way.
Thanks! I don't have tools, ramps etc and the knowledge to attempt this on my own. I'd much rather pay someone who knows how to do it, especially without removing rear bumper. If it's two hour install would glady pay $150 to somebody with experience. Anybody?

Which one of the links above will work for me?
Definitely would not say I am an expert, just been working on cars for over 40 years. You've already gotten a few great replies, and there are multiple threads about these DRL/Turn Signals. Mine actually came with the blackout parts for vehicles without fog lights. I can not tell from the pictures of the 2021 CX-5's if they are separate. On the 2018-2019, maybe other years, if the vehicle does not come with lights, the oem blackout was detachable from the plastic strip where these lights go. I did a search on ebay, and did not get as many results as I used to. I preferred the double layered lights opposed to the arrows, but that's just personal preference. There have been some reports of people having single or multiple leds going out. I almost bought a second set back them just to have a backup pair. Here's the type I bought from ebay

I have read most of the threads about these but most are older threads with broken links. I will take a close up photo of area where fog lights go to see if that helps. I like the double layer lights as well, but your ebay link says not compatible with my 2021 CT when I check for compatability.

I purchased these exact ones:

Just hit 2 years with them and haven’t had a single issue.

To answer your question, all of these light fixtures will fit the 2021 CX-5 as they are the same body style as the 2017-2020.

This kit looks identical to the one I have and states it will work with the 2021: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
The first link says not compatible, the second one says compatible, so that is good.

It appears in the photos that one end of each light is curved, is this to fit around fog light or something? On my car the plastic trim that covers the slits on either side looks like one solid piece. (see below) Is there a bezel for the hole where oem fog light would go or would I just install the led/turning signal lights and have a hole there? Sorry for all the questions, I am a retired golf pro and have zero mechanical skills. :)

PXL_20211009_161714240.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased these exact ones:

Just hit 2 years with them and haven’t had a single issue.

To answer your question, all of these light fixtures will fit the 2021 CX-5 as they are the same body style as the 2017-2020.

This kit looks identical to the one I have and states it will work with the 2021: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Your first link says they include a fog light bezel. They say not compatible with 2021 but am starting to think they just are too lazy to update their ad.

fog light bezel.jpg

The second ad says compatible with 2021 but does not mention fog light bezel or have photos. If the front of my 2021 is the same as 2017 + then the ones in your first link should work.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure both of my links are for identical lights. The difference is that the first link includes the fog light bezels.

I agree. I think they just didn’t update their auction to include 2020-2021 model years.

>t-taps

Oh wow, NO. T-taps, aka scotch-loks are HORRIFIC. NEVER use those infernal things for anything at all! Just don't!

If you need to tap into a wire, only use solder and marine grade heat shrink.

Ok, I did some more research on these DRL/Turning signal lights. First of all, the fog light bracket and fog light kit itself are the same part numbers for a 2017-2019 as for a 2021, so I think these guys advertising the light kits neeed to update their listings.

I emailed this guy on Ebay and he said if fog light bracket is the same for 2017 or 2021 then his kit will fit.

I found the same "Dreamseekers" brand on Aliexpress.com and emailed them, they said yes compatible with 2021, plus a better price than on Ebay

I found another kit, looks identical to Dreamseekers kit and includes fog light bracket for $62.70 including VAT shipped. They also have a lot more photos of the bracket which makes a more professional listing. I have emailed this guy about compatibility, have not heard back yet but pretty sure it is the same as the Dreamseekers kit, just cheaper. These guys should update their ads as they are losing business.

Now just need to find someone to install it. Any volunteers who have done this within a few hours of Ocala Florida? I can pay, I can even give you a free golf lesson if you play. :)

Last edited:
Back