CX5 - LED fog light + turn signal

I was thinking about re-wiring to my parking light instead of the fog light, but my parking light is integrated into the headlamp assembly and is led, there is no wire for the orange side marker light. There are 2 types if you look in the manual under light replacement, type A and B. These are not OEM fog lights, but they certainly look like it on eBay ( says brand is VooDoo ) DISREGARD THESE LIGHTS if you look carefully at the picture of the back of the assembly, the light is not replaceable. The wiring is sealed directly into the housing.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
You do NOT need to remove the bumper ! All this can be done from under the car and on top to run wiring.
Tools needed from memory.
Jacks and jack stands you can use ramps if you have them
Sockets, 10mm and 12 or 14 mm for plastic covers on bottom
Small flat head screw driver for pull tabs
Regular and short screw driver, I think #2 tip maybe smaller ( small about 2-3 inch long)
Wire striper and crimper
(4) T-taps (I used one straight tap on ground but you could use a T-tap there too)
Add-a-fuse if you don't want to wire to fog lights and run red wire to fuse box
Velcro and zip ties to secure wires and control box
Wire loom to protect wiring, I used 2 sizes, but I have plenty in my garage
Electrical tape to secure ends of wiring loom optional

Thank you very much. You sir deserve big props!

LEDs look good, but the non-LED turn signal paired with the sequential LED makes it look a bit out of place. Are you going to upgrade to LED turn signal bulbs in the headlights at some point?

I don't think so at this point, the reason I put the sequential LED turn signals on to begin with is the OEM turn signals in the headlamp is barely visible from another drivers perspective. I didn't realize until I saw someone else driving one using the turn signal, you can barely see it with the lights on. Time will tell though, I might upgrade at some point.

One other note I would like to add that someone asked me in a PM. I did NOT want to wire the new DRL to the stock headlamp assembly in case something went wrong, shorted out, etc. and ruined a $600 headlamp assembly for a $90 pair of DRL/turn signals.

I was thinking about re-wiring to my parking light instead of the fog light, but my parking light is integrated into the headlamp assembly and is led, there is no wire for the orange side marker light. There are 2 types if you look in the manual under light replacement, type A and B. These are not OEM fog lights, but they certainly look like it on eBay ( says brand is VooDoo ) DISREGARD THESE LIGHTS if you look carefully at the picture of the back of the assembly, the light is not replaceable. The wiring is sealed directly into the housing.

I see what you are saying Charleston. I found these on Ebay, a bit more expensive, but this item does not have frame. A bit pricier but I believe this should fit?
e4fbdd8b0e81f73ce14b3b3d77fd4459.jpg

Last edited:
I would buy the others before these. Look at the compatibility CX-5 2013-2014 (These are also direct wire and lamp is not replaceable.
There is also another set with the wiring, inside switch and relay all included. Also, you need the assembly to bolt them in, I don't know if that's already on the touring and Sport editions.

Last edited:
Curious if anyone who installed these had anything fail on them, whether the lights themselves, error messages or hyperflashing when the drl*s are in the turn signal operation.

I ordered a set that has the *night blue* function in addition to yellow and white. I*ve had initial success but shortly after they will lead to some sort of issue, whether causing warning lightts on my dash, hyper flashing of my turn signals, to complete failure of parts.

Any updates from the folks that have these for a longer period of time?

Curious if anyone who installed these had anything fail on them, whether the lights themselves, error messages or hyperflashing when the drl*s are in the turn signal operation.

I ordered a set that has the *night blue* function in addition to yellow and white. I*ve had initial success but shortly after they will lead to some sort of issue, whether causing warning lightts on my dash, hyper flashing of my turn signals, to complete failure of parts.

No problem with mine had it installed for 2years now DIY job mine got blue night light too for extreme fog condition (i connect mine with fog fuse switch). As long as you have loads resistors for led turn signals front and rear connected properly there will be no light error on dash or hyper flashing. For the sequential running led next to the fog lights you got to make sure the jumper fuse or wired/soilder fuse are 100% sit firmly in the fuse slot else even a small bump on the road will loosen it and you will get an error light on your dash from experience.

One other note I would like to add that someone asked me in a PM. I did NOT want to wire the new DRL to the stock headlamp assembly in case something went wrong, shorted out, etc. and ruined a $600 headlamp assembly for a $90 pair of DRL/turn signals.

After his sugguestion, i had my DRL's wired to a separate fuse all together =)
So it turns on whenever the ignition is on.

I do not have the "night blue" function, but so far it's been 2 mos, and no problem at all under extreme heat and torrential downpour on the east coast. Very happy with my purchase. Definitely a big help from CharlestonMX5

I*ve had initial success but shortly after they will lead to some sort of issue, whether causing warning lightts on my dash, hyper flashing of my turn signals, to complete failure of parts.

I have had no issues and run mine all the time when the car is started. As far as "hyperflash", you should only experience that if you replace a regular bulb with an led turn signal bulb. By wiring into the turn signal wire, you are just supplying 12v to the led lights. I love the upgrade and may even buy a spare set just in case they become unavailable or as a back up, or just because lol.

Hey CharlestonMX5 and anyone who might know,

I have a question about the wiring (I received the kit from https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) )

I have 4 wires- Red, black, blue, and yellow

I plan on using a fuse for the red and the ground box on frame for black like CharlestonMX5 (btw thanks for the great pictures)
I want to double check, where do you tap the yellow and blue wire to? L & R turn signals (Red/white wire)? Is yellow for the left turn signal and vice versa? wish I knew mandarin (doh)
I've done audio work but this is my 1st dip into lighting

Thanks!

Hey CharlestonMX5 and anyone who might know,
I want to double check, where do you tap the yellow and blue wire to? L & R turn signals (Red/white wire)? Is yellow for the left turn signal and vice versa? wish I knew mandarin (doh)
I've done audio work but this is my 1st dip into lighting

Thanks!

Look at the second picture (post #50) and read the instructions above the picture. Remove the turn signal bulb from the housing and take the wiring out of the little plastic wire holder (blue box). The turn signal wires tap into the red/white wires. That's the same seller I bought mine from, they must have changed wire colors. The longer wire is for the passenger side turn signal. I wired mine outside the vehicle to make sure everything worked before doing the final install. I'm considering moving my red wire to the fuse box, because they only come on when my foglights are on now.

Last edited:
Look at the second picture (post #50) and read the instructions above the picture. Remove the turn signal bulb from the housing and take the wiring out of the little plastic wire holder (blue box). The turn signal wires tap into the red/white wires. That's the same seller I bought mine from, they must have changed wire colors. The longer wire is for the passenger side turn signal. I wired mine outside the vehicle to make sure everything worked before doing the final install. I'm considering moving my red wire to the fuse box, because they only come on when my foglights are on now.

Thank you CharlestonMX5 for the fast reply! Your pictures gave me the courage to push along with this project. I didn't see a mention of the aftermarket wire color so I was thrown off. I stretched it out and the yellow is the longer of the wires, thus it's the one for the (U.S.) passenger side (But knowing life, if its's too good to be true, you better check (spin). I'll try to get a few pics for everyone once I wrap up.

I'm thinking of using the marker light fuse via a fuse tap.
I also noted they slimmed up the control box.
20190701_222933_zpsu58mwtr5.jpg

Mine had yellow and yellow/white wires for the turn signal wires. I looked inside the control box when I first got it to make sure everything was sealed, there wasn't much in there and was probably just a circuit board but was completely sealed and very small, they could very easily put in a smaller box half the size of the original. I just took a test light, removed the bulb, and checked the connectors in the bulb socket the touched the wire to that lead. Also you will notice one of the DRL wires is longer than the other.

I'll add the question of legality to the mix.

and I'll add the question of functionality to the mix...

fog lights are intended for use in fog (tho many boy racers just want their idea of stylish)

for fog, you want a low level light with a very very sharp beam cut-off (minimizes the glare from light reflecting off the tiny water droplets of fog)

do these do that?

they look dubious...

Bumping this thread, as I just pulled the trigger on the DRL/Sequential turn signals on eBay.

If we use an *add a fuse* kit and wire directly to fuse box (I believe that is what young-nyc did), which fuse # did you use?

I am not opposed to wiring to fog lights as I leave them on all the time.

Just finished the install. Wanted to thank CharlestonMX5 for the write up and Young-NYC for his help as well. I wired the red-wire directly to an unused fuse location.

I will say the passenger side install wasn*t fun. Really not a lot of room at all due to the washer fluid reservoir.

All in all it took 3 hours from start to finish. I wasn*t able to locate the ground block so instead I soldered a loop on the black wire and used a screw that went to the bare metal.

Back