I'm worried about all the broken Mazdas on forums

you act as if amenities and some stupid features are more important than overall reliability and driving experience. Why did you still end up buying a Mazda if jeeps are such amazing vehicles?

jeeps don't handle well, whether you are driving in a straight line or around a turn, build quality and materials is poor, reliability is poor, fuel efficiency and acceleration is poor for the power it makes on paper, they break all the time, but it has real-time AWD and remote start, so people are all over it. goes to show how doomed the north american market is as a whole.

GJ_molestor: Have you owned a Jeep or just driven one? I have extensively driven a Grand Cherokee and it drives a straight line, each time, every time. Going over a turn: fantastic for its size. Finally - interiors are superb in all aspects. Sound deafening, quality of materials everything is right up there. Not sure what you mean by build quality and materials.

The only thing that's not good is the reliability - which has improved quite a bit also.

As for your remark on amenities and some stupid features - to each their own but I need integrated traffic - that's priority one for me along with safety features like forward collision warning, etc. Also - due to kids in the back seat I need USB ports, preferably an OEM entertainment center, rear seat heating and privacy glass. Those - BTW are more or less a given in a grand cherokee along with the fact that its suspension is much superior especially for rear seat occupants - who are kids and they don't really need to feel the road or the bumps as they tend to go off to Dreamland in a long drive anyways.

Why I bought CX-5? Only and ONLY due to reliability in comparison to Jeep Grand Cherokee and perhaps price. At the price I bought with the features I bought - a G.Cherokee would have been much costlier.

The reality is that Fiat is desperate to let go of the entire Chrysler division but the price must be too high. The Chinese makers Geely and Great Wall have inquired but they are waiting for fire sale prices. Recent rumors have mentioned Hyundai as a possible suitor but they are eyeing the Jeep and Ram brands and do not want the others.

Chrysler has been a hot potato for years and the shotgun marriage to Fiat has only delayed the inevitable. They have been at the edge of the abyss for some time.

I bought a Toyota Rav4 in 2015 because of the "Toyota reliability". Well, I have never been so disappointed with a vehicle in my life(Well, except for the Chrysler Intrepid I had, but that's another story).

I had the Rav4 for 3 years and had constant issues, I was so happy to unload it and get a CX5. I just hope it's as good as I've been hearing.

you act as if amenities and some stupid features are more important than overall reliability and driving experience. Why did you still end up buying a Mazda if jeeps are such amazing vehicles?

jeeps don't handle well, whether you are driving in a straight line or around a turn, build quality and materials is poor, reliability is poor, fuel efficiency and acceleration is poor for the power it makes on paper, they break all the time, but it has real-time AWD and remote start, so people are all over it. goes to show how doomed the north american market is as a whole.

My jeep handled great straight line or corner, thanks. Straight line it was MUCH more stable than my cx5, especially in wind. Corners, it had a slightly lower level of adhesion, but tracked better through sweepers and if you lost traction it was better balanced. I did add billstein shocks and struts to achieve this though. The only thing it gave up to the cx5 would be low speed tight corners, such as what you see kids doing in parking lots with cones.

When I closed the doors it felt and sounded like a bank vault. The body and interior were far superior to my 2015 cx5. Where it fell down on quality was the mechanical reliability. The cx5 has been much better, here. As you note though , I wanted an appliance, so I bought one. The snarling hemi and qd2 and nice interior were great, but at the end of the day, I needed a Maytag.

0-60 was about 6.7 seconds by my stopwatch, and 0-80was around 10ish. It wasn't slow by any stretch for it's size and solidity.

I got about 18mpg on road trips doing 75. My cx5 averages around 27mpg in those circumstances. Around town I got 16ish, and my cx5 averages 23 there. Also keep in mind it's a full second slower to 60, and the gap really opened up from there. The newer ones do even better in the speed and mpg dept.

Appliances like the crv, cx5, rav4, and non turbo foresters will always have a market. So will less reliable but much nicer vehicles like the jeeps, Benz, x5, and landrovers.

I bought a Toyota Rav4 in 2015 because of the "Toyota reliability". Well, I have never been so disappointed with a vehicle in my life(Well, except for the Chrysler Intrepid I had, but that's another story).

I had the Rav4 for 3 years and had constant issues, I was so happy to unload it and get a CX5. I just hope it's as good as I've been hearing.

It should be. I know I'm a sample of 1, but at 75k miles I'm still pleased with it's reliability. I have chafed under owning an appliance, as it's a new concept to me, but it's so nice not to be in the shop except for oil changes.

GJ_molestor: Have you owned a Jeep or just driven one? I have extensively driven a Grand Cherokee and it drives a straight line, each time, every time. Going over a turn: fantastic for its size. Finally - interiors are superb in all aspects. Sound deafening, quality of materials everything is right up there. Not sure what you mean by build quality and materials.

The only thing that's not good is the reliability - which has improved quite a bit also.

As for your remark on amenities and some stupid features - to each their own but I need integrated traffic - that's priority one for me along with safety features like forward collision warning, etc. Also - due to kids in the back seat I need USB ports, preferably an OEM entertainment center, rear seat heating and privacy glass. Those - BTW are more or less a given in a grand cherokee along with the fact that its suspension is much superior especially for rear seat occupants - who are kids and they don't really need to feel the road or the bumps as they tend to go off to Dreamland in a long drive anyways.

Why I bought CX-5? Only and ONLY due to reliability in comparison to Jeep Grand Cherokee and perhaps price. At the price I bought with the features I bought - a G.Cherokee would have been much costlier.

Exactly. I struggle everyday not to trade this boring basic b**** in on a lightly used 2015 or 2016 JGC Limited w/qt and hemi and just buy the forever unlimited warranty and love it.

@ unob...I have an idea: Why don't you start a thread asking everyone what they are worried or alarmed about?

I'll start:

I'm worried and alarmed about all the threads that start with the words "I'm genuinely worried about.......(fill in the blank)."

Your turn.

It's pretty well been sussed out. The transmission is #1 on the oh s*** list.

Exactly. I struggle everyday not to trade this boring basic b**** in on a lightly used 2015 or 2016 JGC Limited w/qt and hemi and just buy the forever unlimited warranty and love it.

Do it and do it soon. Life is way to short to drive a car you don't love. I drive the CX-5 because I love it.

I have had kids ask me what they should buy and I always tell them your first car will drive you crazy and cost a lot to fix so pick one you just love to drive so you can forgive it.

My Mazda has not broken yet !

Happy with mine too. Only small ailments, such as that occasional strange noise from the power door lock actuators when unlocking.

(Strange enough, the problem was apparently inherited by 2nd gen CX-5 too. During a brief test drive of a 2018 CX-5 (not even 2017) it happened twice, and sounded the exact same way as the 2015 or 2016 model does. Again, not complaining, it's such a small problem, it's just interesting that Mazda hasn't addressed this in the luxury 2nd gen CX-5.)

Financially negligent, you didn't love how your first one panned out but hey go nuts. 2c? Keep the `appliance` that quietly and efficiently does what you need, add the one that does what you love-when feasible. You're welcome.

You cannot compare a GC with a CX-5. Come on now. But you can compare a Cherokee with a CX-5 which I have done. Extensively.
Yea, that heated steering wheel is boss... o wait. Added in 17. Those rear reclining seats are nice. O wait...added in 17.
The CX-5 from 16 was very closely matched to a 16 Cherokee. The 17 destroys it.
It drives better. The 6 speed tranny trounces the 9 speed. The AWD is absolutely on par. The interior and seating and view from the CX-5 is far superior.
But you main point here Unobtanium is absolutely on point.
Look at the CRV forums. Our resident CR-V fan hasn't been around in awhile. Wonder where he's been? This thread should have him back in 3...2...1...
Anyway, I just noticed a thread over there similar to our "What don't you like thread".
18 pages: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...o-you-not-like-about-your-2017-2018-cr-v.html
Funny how they complain about a lot of the same stuff.
Surprised by the 2nd post there:
I don't like how I can't turn off the engine while keeping the electronic on to continue listening to the radio or music. Instead, I have to wait until I finish listening to turn off the car, by then, my car has been idling and wasting gas.
There has to be a reason companies are killing or not implementing this feature. I can't think of one, though.

Last edited:
Financially negligent, you didn't love how your first one panned out but hey go nuts. 2c? Keep the `appliance` that quietly and efficiently does what you need, add the one that does what you love-when feasible. You're welcome.

Agreed 100%.

Do it and do it soon. Life is way to short to drive a car you don't love. I drive the CX-5 because I love it.

I have had kids ask me what they should buy and I always tell them your first car will drive you crazy and cost a lot to fix so pick one you just love to drive so you can forgive it.

Gotta delay gratification sometimes.

The appliance thing was funny at first but it’s been flogged to death now. The CX-5 in its Sportnav (your GT) is as well spec’d as anything in the same price point but to suggest that it’s bland compared to a BMW, Audi or LR is just about as shabby as an argument can get. They are all much more expensive cars.

You can buy a Jeep here but they are only attractive to those that know nothing about cars. The reputation and resale value are at gutter level.

My jeep handled great straight line or corner, thanks. Straight line it was MUCH more stable than my cx5, especially in wind. Corners, it had a slightly lower level of adhesion, but tracked better through sweepers and if you lost traction it was better balanced. I did add billstein shocks and struts to achieve this though. The only thing it gave up to the cx5 would be low speed tight corners, such as what you see kids doing in parking lots with cones.

When I closed the doors it felt and sounded like a bank vault. The body and interior were far superior to my 2015 cx5. Where it fell down on quality was the mechanical reliability. The cx5 has been much better, here. As you note though , I wanted an appliance, so I bought one. The snarling hemi and qd2 and nice interior were great, but at the end of the day, I needed a Maytag.

0-60 was about 6.7 seconds by my stopwatch, and 0-80was around 10ish. It wasn't slow by any stretch for it's size and solidity.

I got about 18mpg on road trips doing 75. My cx5 averages around 27mpg in those circumstances. Around town I got 16ish, and my cx5 averages 23 there. Also keep in mind it's a full second slower to 60, and the gap really opened up from there. The newer ones do even better in the speed and mpg dept.

Appliances like the crv, cx5, rav4, and non turbo foresters will always have a market. So will less reliable but much nicer vehicles like the jeeps, Benz, x5, and landrovers.

The BMW X5 is probably the only SUV id consider (other than mazda) and that’s a pretty solid vehicle in terms of reliability as long as you stick to the 6 cylinder.

The Jeep Cherokee? Yes i have driven one, and I was very dissapointed. The hemi was pretty decent, but the 8 speeds transmission tuning really fell short compared to My BMW’s and the car did not feel very fast for being a v8. My 3L naturally aspirated 528i would give one a run for its money without breaking much of a sweat. I easily get 23mpg city, 30+ on the highway, and it achieves 6.5 seconds to 60 in a car weighing 3900pounds and making 240hp? I thought the straight line dampening and overall handling around turns to be abysmal... I was very unimpressed. I ain’t an SUV guy, but there are better options out there.

Happy with mine too. Only small ailments, such as that occasional strange noise from the power door lock actuators when unlocking.

(Strange enough, the problem was apparently inherited by 2nd gen CX-5 too. During a brief test drive of a 2018 CX-5 (not even 2017) it happened twice, and sounded the exact same way as the 2015 or 2016 model does. Again, not complaining, it's such a small problem, it's just interesting that Mazda hasn't addressed this in the luxury 2nd gen CX-5.)

Same here, Left rear door only and seems to be temperature related

The appliance thing was funny at first but it’s been flogged to death now. The CX-5 in its Sportnav (your GT) is as well spec’d as anything in the same price point but to suggest that it’s bland compared to a BMW, Audi or LR is just about as shabby as an argument can get. They are all much more expensive cars.

You can buy a Jeep here but they are only attractive to those that know nothing about cars. The reputation and resale value are at gutter level.

Reputation I don't care about, as CX5 is scoffed at plenty by various people, just like everything else.
Resale? HAH! Jeep Grand Cherokee resale is so much better than CX5 resale it's not even funny.
CX5 is economical and does its job.

The BMW X5 is probably the only SUV id consider (other than mazda) and that’s a pretty solid vehicle in terms of reliability as long as you stick to the 6 cylinder.

The Jeep Cherokee? Yes i have driven one, and I was very dissapointed. The hemi was pretty decent, but the 8 speeds transmission tuning really fell short compared to My BMW’s and the car did not feel very fast for being a v8. My 3L naturally aspirated 528i would give one a run for its money without breaking much of a sweat. I easily get 23mpg city, 30+ on the highway, and it achieves 6.5 seconds to 60 in a car weighing 3900pounds and making 240hp? I thought the straight line dampening and overall handling around turns to be abysmal... I was very unimpressed. I ain’t an SUV guy, but there are better options out there.

The 528i does do a helluva lot with what it's got, no doubt! C&D got 5.9 0-60 out of it even.

I need to drive a 2011 or newer JGC, I only had a 2010, but it handled great with Bilsteins. Not so great with OEM. It was on some seriously bald tires etc. when I bought it though (they got 68K miles out of the OEM tires!), and so those two things changed at once, along with a few other things...due t o poor reliability of the parts that make it go and turn, and it is a well known fact that the struts and shocks Jeep uses OEM suck balls, so I am unsure which change I should credit, but everyone agrees that shocks/struts are shot by 50k miles on that model I had.

I liked the power, amenities, "sureness" of the driving experience (AWD was amazing, and it felt PLANTED on the road an insulated. Not buzzy and knocked all over by wind). Much nicer ride than my CX5, but nowhere near as reliable and cheap to own.

Back