I'm worried about all the broken Mazdas on forums

The 528i does do a helluva lot with what it's got, no doubt! C&D got 5.9 0-60 out of it even.

I need to drive a 2011 or newer JGC, I only had a 2010, but it handled great with Bilsteins. Not so great with OEM. It was on some seriously bald tires etc. when I bought it though (they got 68K miles out of the OEM tires!), and so those two things changed at once, along with a few other things...due t o poor reliability of the parts that make it go and turn, and it is a well known fact that the struts and shocks Jeep uses OEM suck balls, so I am unsure which change I should credit, but everyone agrees that shocks/struts are shot by 50k miles on that model I had.

I liked the power, amenities, "sureness" of the driving experience (AWD was amazing, and it felt PLANTED on the road an insulated. Not buzzy and knocked all over by wind). Much nicer ride than my CX5, but nowhere near as reliable and cheap to own.

5.9 seconds is possible with the 2012+ turbocharged 4 cylinder, I have no doubt. But I have a 2011 528i (first year of the newer model but with the older naturally aspirated 6 cylinder and this specific model was RWD only) and Ive had a great experience overall with this car and I expect several more years of happy driving with it. Sedans took a big hit with resale value these days, so Im kind of stuck with the car even if I didnt like it.

Since we are talking about SUVs here, take a look at what the BMW X5 35i manages in comparison to the hemi Jeep. Not that its a fair comparison for either car, as the BMW plays with the more expensive and premium offerings.. Keep in mind they have the same transmission, just one is tuned by BMW.

Like anchorman said, the Jeep is good for people who know nothing about cars. There are tons of other better choices out there. The CX-5 isnt even in the same playing field as the Jeep, it doesnt make any sense to compare the two.

The reality is that Fiat is desperate to let go of the entire Chrysler division but the price must be too high. The Chinese makers Geely and Great Wall have inquired but they are waiting for fire sale prices. Recent rumors have mentioned Hyundai as a possible suitor but they are eyeing the Jeep and Ram brands and do not want the others.

Chrysler has been a hot potato for years and the shotgun marriage to Fiat has only delayed the inevitable. They have been at the edge of the abyss for some time.

No, Sergio Marchionne hasn't been trying to unload the Chrysler brands from Fiat. He's been trying to sell the whole FCA group. Why? Because he said he wants to retire next year and he could make a giant boatload of cash from a buy-out. That's been his plan since 2014.

Fiat alone without the Chrysler brands wouldn't be a viable company given the current market trend.

Like anchorman said, the Jeep is good for people who know nothing about cars. There are tons of other better choices out there. The CX-5 isn’t even in the same playing field as the Jeep, it doesn’t make any sense to compare the two.

Nonsense, the Cherokee is one of the CX-5's main competitors. It's better in some ways, worse in others.

Last edited:
5.9 seconds is possible with the 2012+ turbocharged 4 cylinder, I have no doubt. But I have a 2011 528i (first year of the newer model but with the older naturally aspirated 6 cylinder and this specific model was RWD only) and I’ve had a great experience overall with this car and I expect several more years of happy driving with it. Sedans took a big hit with resale value these days, so I’m kind of stuck with the car even if I didn’t like it.

Since we are talking about SUV’s here, take a look at what the BMW X5 35i manages in comparison to the hemi Jeep. Not that it’s a fair comparison for either car, as the BMW plays with the more expensive and premium offerings.. Keep in mind they have the same transmission, just one is tuned by BMW.

Like anchorman said, the Jeep is good for people who know nothing about cars. There are tons of other better choices out there. The CX-5 isn’t even in the same playing field as the Jeep, it doesn’t make any sense to compare the two.

The Jeep works fine when you consider its price point. Does it have some rough edges and durability issues? Yes. Those balance out when you compare them to BMW's repair and maintenance costs, though.

No, Sergio Marchionne hasn't been trying to unload the Chrysler brands from Fiat. He's been trying to sell the whole FCA group. Why? Because he said he wants to retire next year and he could make a giant boatload of cash from a buy-out. That's been his plan since 2014.

Fiat alone without the Chrysler brands wouldn't be a viable company given the current market trend.

Nonsense, the Cherokee is one of the CX-5's main competitors. It's better in some ways, worse in others.

Yeah, because Chrysler makes no money.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/10/24/fiat-chrysler-earnings-jump-on-profitability-gains.aspx

Perople are so full of derp. Anyway, I was discussing the JGC, not the Cherokee. Although you;re right, the two do go head to head. Cherokee is much nicer and has better AWD system though if you leave the pavement. The 9-speed transmission and its turning remain an issue though as I understand. I'd probably buy a lightly used X1 instead honestly.

Gotta delay gratification sometimes.

NOT words I live by. Could be dead by the time that comes.
Never not once in my life have I ever 'settled' for a car.
I've been around to much death in my time. Mom died when I was 19. Grandma 20. Grandpa 22.
It's made me this way.
#Neversettle
Just buy older, this is also why I've never bought a new car until this Mazda. And I'M STILL NOT SETTLING. ;)
<3 my Mazda

NOT words I live by. Could be dead by the time that comes.
Never not once in my life have I ever 'settled' for a car.
I've been around to much death in my time. Mom died when I was 19. Grandma 20. Grandpa 22.
It's made me this way.
#Neversettle
Just buy older, this is also why I've never bought a new car until this Mazda. And I'M STILL NOT SETTLING. ;)
<3 my Mazda

Everyone has a different path through life. For example, you consider the CX5 wonderful. I find it an appliance. We are both "right" in as far as all that matters---our own opinions of our own things.

^^Understood and losing your mom that young had to be very difficult man, but I still say its foolish to stretch particularly on an older model with let's say less than stellar reliability history. With the miles he goes something cheap and reliable is the ticket, it frees up $ for other things and or makes it alot easier to save for the one you really want, not someone's 75k mile 6 year old time bomb waiting to drain you of patience if not your funds also. Again, its a numbers/luck game and no one should settle per se but its gotta make sense else you end up just causing yourself more pain..imo

Everyone has a different path through life. For example, you consider the CX5 wonderful. I find it an appliance. We are both "right" in as far as all that matters---our own opinions of our own things.

You are absolutely right. Everyone has their own opinion about the vehicles they own or have owned. We just purchased a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring and someone was telling me it won't last. Maybe so!! maybe they had a bad experience with one. But I have a lifetime Powertrain warranty, so that gives me comfort. I never owned a Mazda, but I really like it. Rides nice and gets great gas mileage.

^^Understood and losing your mom that young had to be very difficult man, but I still say its foolish to stretch particularly on an older model with let's say less than stellar reliability history. With the miles he goes something cheap and reliable is the ticket, it frees up $ for other things and or makes it alot easier to save for the one you really want, not someone's 75k mile 6 year old time bomb waiting to drain you of patience if not your funds also. Again, its a numbers/luck game and no one should settle per se but its gotta make sense else you end up just causing yourself more pain..imo

Absolutely nails it. Right now, I'm paying off debt that I incurred because I furnished my first house, and I also used the small note (I've had car notes over $1K/mo before) to skew my D/I ratio in my favor to help me GET a house. I'd much rather live where and how I do than drive "my dream car", because I've owned "my dream car" before (A brand new Z06), and the "shiny" wears off a lot faster than I had hoped...sad to say. I just came inside from watching bald eagles fly up and down my river while standing on the porch. That's worth more to me than an X5M. New, or used.

You are absolutely right. Everyone has their own opinion about the vehicles they own or have owned. We just purchased a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring and someone was telling me it won't last. Maybe so!! maybe they had a bad experience with one. But I have a lifetime Powertrain warranty, so that gives me comfort. I never owned a Mazda, but I really like it. Rides nice and gets great gas mileage.

*derail

Where/how on the lifetime powertrain!?

*derail

Where/how on the lifetime powertrain!?

Clearwater Florida. They happen to offer it. I didn't even know they offered it. When I was in Finance he made a phone call and asked if they were still offering lifetime on Powertrain. So that was a bonus for sure!

Clearwater Florida. They happen to offer it. I didn't even know they offered it. When I was in Finance he made a phone call and asked if they were still offering lifetime on Powertrain. So that was a bonus for sure!

Well damn. IS it ONLY honored there, or nation wide, or what? I'd seriously jump on a plane for my next vehicle if...

They offered it there, but it is honored Nationwide.
Is it through Mazda, or just a 3rd party deal? That is part of why the Jeep Grand Cherokee is beginning to win me back over, I can get lifetime unlimited bumper-bumper THROUGH CHRYSLER, not a 3rd party. That mitigates its bad reliability for the most part.

Is it through Mazda, or just a 3rd party deal? That is part of why the Jeep Grand Cherokee is beginning to win me back over, I can get lifetime unlimited bumper-bumper THROUGH CHRYSLER, not a 3rd party. That mitigates its bad reliability for the most part.

Fiat.

Mazda, It was free.

, but I still say its foolish to stretch particularly on an older model with let's say less than stellar reliability history.
I ALWAYS bought low mileage used cars. Low mileage was my #1. And I always sold them prior to 100K. Never regretted any of them. Never had MAJOR issues with any of them. Lucky? Maybe.
Didn't even regret the the 1982 Firebird then I let someone borrow and he filled the radiator with water in December and basically blew my engine. Anger at my friend... no regret. "What's antifreeze?" lol
Just replaced that one with an 87 Trans Am with the 5.7 liter detuned corvette motor. Awww yea. :D

There's a funny story about how I got that car. Must... resist... further derailment....
:D

I ALWAYS bought low mileage used cars. Low mileage was my #1. And I always sold them prior to 100K. Never regretted any of them. Never had MAJOR issues with any of them. Lucky? Maybe.
Didn't even regret the the 1982 Firebird then I let someone borrow and he filled the radiator with water in December and basically blew my engine. Anger at my friend... no regret. "What's antifreeze?" lol
Just replaced that one with an 87 Trans Am with the 5.7 liter detuned corvette motor. Awww yea. :D

There's a funny story about how I got that car. Must... resist... further derailment....
:D
I had a 1995 and 2001 Trans Am. They were amazing cars for the money.

Nicer than anything Mazda has so far. It actually had live traffic. Remote start (without some faggy app). Real AWD. I miss it a ton except for the lack of reliability, it was a MUCH nicer vehicle. Mazda is like Chrysler circa 2005 in the amenities arena. They are just now figuring out laser cruise control and TRYING to do a NAV and remote start, but it's sucking.

I call BS on your real AWD comment. See video below, while produced by Subaru, there is a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the video. It doesnt fare very well....fast forward to the 3:30 mark...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A-niPZTBouk

Mazda, It was free.
Mazda, the manufacture, simply doesnt offer lifetime powertrain warranty!

As a matter of fact, unlimited-miles、unlimited-time lifetime powertrain warranty is rare and expensive, usually offered only by a 3rd-party if theres one available for the vehicle.

Read the fine print ⋯ ;)

Back