Windshield wipers

Jaadamz625

:
Mazda cx5
Is it me or do the windshield wipers suck on this 16 cx5 gt. Is it the actual wiper blades or the motor? It seems like intermittent fast speed is to slow. The fast setting is also to slow. Anyone else notice this?

Manual intermittent is perfect on my 17. Automatic sucks for me.

Many different experiences for people here. Search for many old threads on wipers.

If you have the GT, they are not intermittent wipers. They are automatic and the setting is for sensitivity. I found that they need to “learn” for some time and eventually work just fine.

If you have the GT, they are not intermittent wipers. They are automatic and the setting is for sensitivity. I found that they need to “learn” for some time and eventually work just fine.

They're normal intermittent if you turn the damn automatic sensor OFF.

I didn't [and don't] have the patience to deal with it's miserable [for me] performance while it's learning.

Okay I didn’t know about that option.

I live in a eternally rainy region. If anyone would have complaints it would be me. I have no such complaints. Glad to hear there are options then.

I believe the wiper speed is also dependent on the speed of the car, is it not? Even my ten year old Fusion had speed dependent wipers. Maybe you just need to drive faster!

They're normal intermittent if you turn the damn automatic sensor OFF.

I didn't [and don't] have the patience to deal with it's miserable [for me] performance while it's learning.
Yeap, once I compared my CX-5s rain-sensing wipers to rain-sensing wipers on my 18-year-old BMW 528i, I declare the rain-sensing wipers on CX-5 really suck!

Theres nothing in design on Mazdas rain-sensing wipers for learning, but they seems to have their own mind to wipe whenever they want to! Sensitivity control is useless!

I believe the wiper speed is also dependent on the speed of the car, is it not? Even my ten year old Fusion had speed dependent wipers. Maybe you just need to drive faster!

The local gendarmes believe I already drive too fast! zoom zoom, ya know.

But your 10 year old Fusion certainly didn't have a camera :) -- that's what I understand controls the auto wiper speed in these Mazdas. It sees the water on the windshield. In my car, if it sees ANY water, it goes nuts. So I shut er down.

Yeap, once I compared my CX-5’s rain-sensing wipers to rain-sensing wipers on my 18-year-old BMW 528i, I declare the rain-sensing wipers on CX-5 really suck!

There’s nothing in design on Mazda’s rain-sensing wipers for “learning”, but they seems to have their own mind to wipe whenever they want to! Sensitivity control is useless!

I'd venture worse than useless.

No, rain-sensing wipers, if designed correctly, dont need to know the vehicle speed. The infrared rain sensor will determine how heavy the rain water dropped on windshield, independent to vehicle speed.

The local gendarmes believe I already drive too fast! zoom zoom, ya know.

But your 10 year old Fusion certainly didn't have a camera :) -- that's what I understand controls the auto wiper speed in these Mazdas. It sees the water on the windshield. In my car, if it sees ANY water, it goes nuts. So I shut er down.

Ah yes, the camera. Certainly did not have one on the Fusion. The wiper speed was determined by the car speed. I could see the difference once in a while, like sitting at a red light vs. driving 50mph down the street and really watching for it, but most of the time it was imperceptible.

Ah yes, the camera. Certainly did not have one on the Fusion. The wiper speed was determined by the car speed. I could see the difference once in a while, like sitting at a red light vs. driving 50mph down the street and really watching for it, but most of the time it was imperceptible.

So both systems suck. Oh, well.

Okay I didn’t know about that option.

I live in a eternally rainy region. If anyone would have complaints it would be me. I have no such complaints. Glad to hear there are options then.

Did you know that NYC gets about 20% more annual precip than Seattle? Amazing but true! I was surprised when I first learned that, due to Seattle's reputation.

But Seattle has more about 20% more days with precip! Thus, that reputation. :)

I never said anything 'sucked.' Get over yourself. I was just trying to be helpful. If you can't do that, best not to comment at all.

Yes, I said they suck. Sorry if I offended you, it wasn't intended. Your comment was helpful.
I was dissing the systems. Your description made the Ford sound ineffective.

⋯ But your 10 year old Fusion certainly didn't have a camera :) -- that's what I understand controls the auto wiper speed in these Mazdas. It sees the water on the windshield. In my car, if it sees ANY water, it goes nuts. So I shut er down.
Rain-sensing wipers dont use camera. They have a dedicated infrared rain sensor to detect rain droplets on the windshield.

Rain-sensing wipers dont use camera. They have a dedicated infred rain sensor to detect rain droplets on the windshield.

That would be a "camera" with a sensor tuned to IR frequencies. :)

But are you sure that's not incorporated into the FSC for the 2nd gen? I don't know, but the following makes me wonder.

From the 17 OM p. 4-61 [italics mine]:

If the auto-wiper lever is left in the AUTO
position, the wipers could operate
automatically from the effect of strong
light sources
, electromagnetic waves, or
infrared light because the rain sensor
uses an optical sensor.

Back