Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 CX-5 Trailer hitch

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
    Which wiring harness did you get?

On the non-Mazda harnesses, you can keep the trailer wiring connection hidden in the spare tire area and remove it only when towing. It would sit flat and the hatch door would close without any issues. That's how my 2016 CX5 had it. The wiring remained hidden and was only remove & placed over the hatch and closed when needed/towing.
    You could do that with oem harness if you wanted, but you may have to slip off the corrugated tube. I was worried about damaging the wire or seals on the tighter ‘17

Registered Member

18 CX-5 GT

Which wiring harness did you get?
    I have the OEM Mazda harness.

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by alphadog00 View Post
    You could do that with oem harness if you wanted, but you may have to slip off the corrugated tube. I was worried about damaging the wire or seals on the tighter ‘17
    Did you have to drill a hole in the vehicle to run the wiring?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Did you have to drill a hole in the vehicle to run the wiring?
    No, there is a rubber plug in drivers side wiring harness area and it drops through there. The OEM kit comes with the 4 wires without the plastic male connector on one end. You pass them through the hole where the rubber plugs was, slip the grommet on, then pop the 4 wires into the plastic plug (metal connectors already on wires) then you just push that plastic male plug into the female plug on the module.

The biggest warning in the docs is to keep the wire away from the muffler (5cm min) I was able to route my wire on the rear side of the hitch - between the bumper and the hitch. The OEM hitch is designed differently. It tucks up higher and it looks like they had to pick a different wiring path.

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

No, there is a rubber plug in drivers side wiring harness area and it drops through there. The OEM kit comes with the 4 wires without the plastic male connector on one end. You pass them through the hole where the rubber plugs was, slip the grommet on, then pop the 4 wires into the plastic plug (metal connectors already on wires) then you just push that plastic male plug into the female plug on the module.

The biggest warning in the docs is to keep the wire away from the muffler (5cm min) I was able to route my wire on the rear side of the hitch - between the bumper and the hitch. The OEM hitch is designed differently. It tucks up higher and it looks like they had to pick a different wiring path.
    So you don't have to splice any wires or remove any insulation? Do you have the part number or picture of the wiring kit?

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Any of you guys install a 7 blade with a brake controller?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

no just the 4 wire here. Towing capacity is only 2000 lbs, so i don't see the need myself.

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

no just the 4 wire here. Towing capacity is only 2000 lbs, so i don't see the need myself.
    I've got a ~1200LB utility/tent trailer with brakes. Just figure it makes towing that much safer and easier on the tow car.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX5

Dealer asking for 850$ + taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Effort View Post
    We just got the OEM trailer hitch and wiring harness installed by the dealer this week for just over $600 CAD on our 2017. Considering the cost of the parts, it was an amount I was happy to pay to keep me from spending half a weekend day on my back under the car. I can't comment on the level of difficulty unfortunately.
    Here in East coast, dealer asked for $850+taxes. Have ordered CURT 12170 ($124) and will be installing at pepboys for $50 for total of 175$
    Will post the picture after installation.

Registered Member

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by raam View Post
    Here in East coast, dealer asked for $850+taxes. Have ordered CURT 12170 ($124) and will be installing at pepboys for $50 for total of 175$
    Will post the picture after installation.
    I live in the middle of Virginia, and the Mazda dealer in Charlottesville quoted $800 for the hitch. I can get a Draw Tite installed for $545.

The one thing people maw wish to keep in mind is that a Draw-Tite will protrude from underneath the bumper, while the OEM hitch sits behind the bumper, so the bumper must be notched out.

edit to add: This is not a special bumper for the Mazda hitch. This is the regular bumper that was manually cut out to accommodate the installation of a factory hitch. The hitch instructions come with a template.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 08-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Registered Member

mazda CX5 GT

Buy a Draw Tite for around 125.00 Delivered and pay Jack Williams 60.00 to install it. It took about 1/2 hour. Done!

2015 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Just had U-Haul install Class III hitch with 2" receiver and lights this week for $288 plus whatever ball/arm needed. The dealer, for 4 years, has advertised $600 special to install. I kept waiting for a better price and it never changed!

Should have just negotiated hitch as part of purchase and done it long ago (vehicle 4 years old now)!

Class III is overkill for this vehicle but that's all they offered with a 2" receiver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12