2017 CX-5 Trailer hitch

Dealer asking for 850$ + taxes

We just got the OEM trailer hitch and wiring harness installed by the dealer this week for just over $600 CAD on our 2017. Considering the cost of the parts, it was an amount I was happy to pay to keep me from spending half a weekend day on my back under the car. I can't comment on the level of difficulty unfortunately.

Here in East coast, dealer asked for $850+taxes. Have ordered CURT 12170 ($124) and will be installing at pepboys for $50 for total of 175$
Will post the picture after installation.

Here in East coast, dealer asked for $850+taxes. Have ordered CURT 12170 ($124) and will be installing at pepboys for $50 for total of 175$
Will post the picture after installation.

I live in the middle of Virginia, and the Mazda dealer in Charlottesville quoted $800 for the hitch. I can get a Draw Tite installed for $545.

The one thing people maw wish to keep in mind is that a Draw-Tite will protrude from underneath the bumper, while the OEM hitch sits behind the bumper, so the bumper must be notched out.

cx5-trailer-hitch_v2.jpg

edit to add: This is not a special bumper for the Mazda hitch. This is the regular bumper that was manually cut out to accommodate the installation of a factory hitch. The hitch instructions come with a template.

Last edited:
Buy a Draw Tite for around 125.00 Delivered and pay Jack Williams 60.00 to install it. It took about 1/2 hour. Done!

Just had U-Haul install Class III hitch with 2" receiver and lights this week for $288 plus whatever ball/arm needed. The dealer, for 4 years, has advertised $600 special to install. I kept waiting for a better price and it never changed!

Should have just negotiated hitch as part of purchase and done it long ago (vehicle 4 years old now)!

Class III is overkill for this vehicle but that's all they offered with a 2" receiver.

The ETrailer video indicates that the wire for power needs to run to the battery. Why? There is a 12 volt source at the rear of the car that is already fused that goes to the cigarette plug.

Back