Bike rack - hitch vs. roof

rhojos14

:
2017 CX-5
This isnt specific to just CX-5s but I wanted to get yalls opinion. Im wanting to get a bike rack for my CX-5 but cant decide between one on the roof and a hitch-mounted platform one (ex: https://tinyurl.com/y9dv256l). I dont currently have a hitch or the roof rails so Im open to either. Pro for the hitch one is it seems easier to get the bike on and off. That being said, I also want to get a kayak rack so Ill eventually have to get the roof rails and bars anyways. Im not really worried about price as much as pros and cons of each.

Id love to hear some feedback on both options for those that have one or both of them! Thanks guys!

I would have a hard time getting a bike on my roof without something to stand on. Add the wind drag from the bikes and cross bars, and I would go for hitch mount without thinking twice.

If money is no object, hitch all day. But since you're getting a roof rack anyway I'd go roof mount. Seems a little silly to have both.
It's really not that hard getting a bike on a roof rack. Start the wheel in the track then stand in the back with the door open to lock it in.
I don't think "roof drag" should be concern Alphadog.

If money is no object, hitch all day. But since you're getting a roof rack anyway I'd go roof mount. Seems a little silly to have both.
It's really not that hard getting a bike on a roof rack. Start the wheel in the track then stand in the back with the door open to lock it in.
I don't think "roof drag" should be concern Alphadog.

I am shorter, and I prefer hitch mount. I do have a ski box, and I don't mind that, but i am not installing it and removing it much after it is on a vehicle.

As for drag - it is measurable and can be significant. lots of studies on this:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2016/04/25/roof-racks-drag-fuel-economy/

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ks-really-do-cut-mpgmore-than-you-might-think

Google will yield many more articles. Short in town trips may not show much, but long highway trips really suffer.

Im 6 3 so the height wasnt really going to be a problem, it just seemed easier for the hitch over the roof but I dont have first-hand experience with either. And I would be going maybe 30 miles max so probably wouldnt matter that much in terms of economy.

Ive got a little more thinking to do but Id like to make a choice in the next few months so I can go ride some trails as it warms up. I appreciate both of your inputs and Ill definitely take them into account as I make my decision! Thanks so much guys!

We buy these cars, at least most of us do, because they are utility vehicles, not fuel efficient hybrids. Oh no...I might lose 5 mpg because there's a bike up top (going 30 or 60 miles)? Meh. Screw that. Live! LOL

Last edited:
Go with the hitch mount for now and get the roof rack for the kayaks later. That way you can haul both if you so desired. That's what I'm doing. I added the hitch this past summer and I'll be adding the roof rack this summer. I may never haul both but I have the option.

Back