Power Steering fluid maintenance?

:
mazda
What maintenance do u guys do on these?

On Hondas, I use a syringe to remove some and top it off. Will it work here too? What are the fluid options?

Yes, I use a turkey baster and do what you do. I do it at every oil change (over kill) to keep the fluid fresh. Use the fluid specifications recommended in the owners manual.

The protege uses automatic transmission fluid (mercon III or better) for the power steering. I buy the valvoline max life stuff that can be bought basically anywhere automotive fluids are sold - I get it at walmart as it is the cheapest place I have found it. 1 quart lasts forever since such a small amount is replaces every time. I dont know what fluid the mazda5 uses, but a compatible fluid should be available at any auto parts store or walmart. Just buy a good, well known brand. Don't go for the no name stuff.

Ford Motorcraft Mercon V @ Walmart

Skip syringe and disconnect hose to discharge all of the fluid in the reservoir -most of the fluid is in the rack. OR better, let the power steering pump do the work for you and actually flush it all.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123845663-Power-Steering-Oil-Change

That’s right. The syringe won’t get much out. You’re best off physically turning the wheel left ahd right until most of the fluid comes out via a disconnected hose. Before you do anything, take a look at the fluid first. If it’s not dirty/dark then there is no need to change.

More imporrtantly, have you done a brake fluid flush? I remember the brake pedal on my BMW became satisfyingly firm and more responsive when I did it.

Last edited:
The keyword is "equivalent" and understanding that power steering fluid serves as hydraulic fluid that lubs the electric pump/seals and not nearly as complex as the transmission (temp changes/lub mechanical parts, modifiers). It's always safe to follow the dealer but IMO M-V/M 5 is a waste as PS fluid.

Mazda Owners Manual
2008 Power steering fluid: ATF M-III or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II)
2012 Power steering fluid: Mazda Genuine ATF M-III , M-V, or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II)

The keyword is "equivalent" and understanding that power steering fluid serves as hydraulic fluid that lubs the electric pump/seals and not nearly as complex as the transmission (temp changes/lub mechanical parts, modifiers). It's always safe to follow the dealer but IMO M-V/M 5 is a waste as PS fluid.

Mazda Owners Manual
2008 Power steering fluid: ATF M-III or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II)
2012 Power steering fluid: Mazda Genuine ATF M-III , M-V, or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II)

The OM for 2014MY is same: "Mazda Genuine ATF M-III , M-V, or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II)" so any of the Dex/Merc choices, Valvoline MaxLife, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, etc will work just fine.

I was going to top it off - but found the oil is black!
Has 95k and I only know the car since a year ago from 86k.

Should I be flushing it? I can not do flush on it - so how much am I looking at paying a shop for labor? How many quarts does it take to flush?

You should be able to do the flush yourself unless you don't have the space and can't get access to tools. The URL posted earlier to a thread from a few years ago looks to be very helpful although I haven't done much by way of PS system service on my 5 yet. The system capacity is likely in the 1-2 quart range but that's just a guess given some of the other passenger car PS systems I've dealt with over the years. There is nothing to replace by way of parts assuming all of your hoses, the pump, etc are in good shape.

Back