LED lights behind grille

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Anyone attempt to put an LED strip behind the front grille area?

The grille on the 2017+ is really pronounced and a great focal feature. I was thinking of putting a strip of white LEDs somewhere behind that area to light up the grille. Very subtle look, nothing too bright, just enough to be noticed. Similar color LED strip as the headlights but the LED strip would be hidden. Just a subtle glow from the grille area.

Last edited:
I'm planning to do something, like the Mazda 6 has in the grill, but with an led strip. Just stick it to the top part of the bottom grill's chrome surface. I have ordered a voltage regulator, to dim it. This is on the '14 though, not on the '17.
20131112013.JPG

Last edited:
The one on mazda 6 is available for cx5 as well. Both generation. Its not just an LED, its a light with a reflective tube. Pricing is about$400+ for both gens. See ebay UK or SE asia, Australia or Japanese sites. Its called wing illumination or something like that.

Yes, that is the one, but it is to much money.
Most likely, the original will look better, since it is a continuous light beam.
I will be spending more like $40, not $400.

Last edited:
Nice, awesome to see it's available for the CX-5. I saw it on the 6 and love how it looks, I almost bought it for my 2014 mazda 3 which was also from Japan and around the same price. Good thing I didn't at the time since I traded it in for the CX-5 not long after wanting it. I'll see how my tax return goes and might get the JDM one for the CX-5 :D

You can get the oem grill accesory from Mazda Philippines. They offer the lighter grill as an accesory over there.

I will be adding LED lights to the grille area but cost is only $35 and my labor. I can't justify paying $450 for the OEM lighting, although nice, it's very expensive.

I will post pics once completed.

I will be adding LED lights to the grille area but cost is only $35 and my labor. I can't justify paying $450 for the OEM lighting, although nice, it's very expensive.

I will post pics once completed.

Please do. I like fhe look of the oem, but not for the price.

Here is what I added for my 2017 CX5 Touring. The LED kit was $35 for both LED strips from Diode Dynamics (they sell/make high quality LEDs).

It had 3M tape on the backside so I placed the strip on the top of the headlight lens. In the pics I only have a 9 Volt battery powering it since I haven't wired it up to the daytime running lights as of yet. Once wired, the LED eyebrows will turn on when the daytime headlamps turn on.

The factory headlamps and daytime running lamps are factory LED but since I have a Touring, I don't have the "signature LEDs" that Mazda puts on the GTs. For $35 it adds a nice touch and only took 30 minutes to install. Probably another 30 minutes to wire up once I find out WHERE the daytime lights can be tapped into.

Attachments

• LED eyebrow 2.jpg
    LED eyebrow 2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 537
  • LED eyebrow.jpg
    LED eyebrow.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Back