Rust related rear bumper loose. DIY fix?

Holiday

:
Protege 5
Heard a rattling recently in the rear of the car and discovered that the left rear bumper seems to be coming loose. From the looks it's a piece of the side panel that has rusted away thus making the bolt that connects the bumper to the side panel, loose. See pic.

Seems the same is about to happen around the other side of the car same spot. Wondering if I should attempt to fix it myself with perhaps fiberglass weave, resin, sandpaper and paint or if best left to a pro. Never done body work before so I'm wondering which way to go.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_1113.JPG
    DSC_1113.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 210
You might as well try to do it yourself,... you could save a lot of money and learn a new skill.

If it doesn't work it's not going to cost more money to have a pro fix any mess you made.

Sand the bubbled area flush, cover the area with weave and extend past the rust by a few inches into good metal, smooth out with bondo, sand and paint.

Then get the car under coated... You haven't done that yet have you ??

That rust will creep up to a few inches a year now if you do nothing.

If you spray it, it will only be 1/4" or less.

If you want to put weave on but don't want to undercoat it then you will need to extend the weave about a foot to give you about 3-4 years before the rust creeps past it.

Undercoat your car... It is so worth the cost and effort.

I finally found a place to do the right kind of undercoating for my car. The kind that seeps into and bonds with the good metal. Less costly than the rubber coating which I hear will eventually flake off because there is already rust on the undercarriage. I'll take care of the rust around the wheel wells first of course. The unfortunate thing is that the black paint actually metallic, has some sparkles in it, which I don't know if I can match. Not a biggies as the car is more practical than for show.

... The unfortunate thing is that the black paint actually metallic, has some sparkles in it, which I don't know if I can match...

Unbolt your gas cap cover and take it into the hardware/paint store with you ... You can match it up to the available paints and their lids.
(I've done this... Works great!!)

The cool thing is,.. you can match up both your colour schemes and the pin striping with one gas cap cover !!!

And don't forget to get some A3E for the original red above the rust line !!

I found the paint for the bottom half of your car !!!
It's only two bucks a bottle !!!

All you need now is 1/2" white pin striping and your good to go !!!!

Last edited:
Hey thanks. I only need to do the areas bubbling around the wheel wells so just the black is all I need.

I might get that bondo kit with the metal mesh to recreate the area that rusted out around that bolt hole that the bumper fastens to. The other side of the car has similar issues though the bumper is still fastened.

Don't aim for prefect,.. Aim for good enough,.. It'll make the goal more attainable.

Spring is coming and outdoor working weather is on it's way. But don't delay the undercoating any more than you have to.

Back