Mazda made a pickup truck? TIL what was it called? No badge on the back.

My earliest memories of Mazda were the economy truck commercials of the late 1970s and early 1980s, especially the "sakes alive" campaign. Those were by far the best selling Mazdas of that era.

By the way, check out those fuel economy numbers! We haven't progressed as far as we like to think, have we?

Last edited:
I don’t think the Isuzu-GovMo connection is as strong as it was. Of course, GM is a sore subject with me. I’ll never own another GovMo product.

I don’t think the Isuzu-GovMo connection is as strong as it was. Of course, GM is a sore subject with me. I’ll never own another GovMo product.

That's because GM sold off their stake during their bankruptcy

The Mazda truck in the original post is not a B2600. It's a later model based on the Ranger, a B3000 or B4000.

My earliest memories of Mazda were the economy truck commercials of the late 1970s and early 1980s, especially the "sakes alive" campaign. Those were by far the best selling Mazdas of that era.

By the way, check out those fuel economy numbers! We haven't progressed as far as we like to think, have we?

I thought the same thing but less chance of death or injury in a wreck.. or increased accident avoidance altogether.

EDIT: Xeler8ing - agreed on the GM stake

Last edited:
Interesting because I just remembered a few months back that I got a ride in a old later 80’s Mazda pickup. It did show its age. Bed was banged up and the business that owns it has had it for a number of years. Engine sounded pretty good. Rear window was busted out and the plastic looked about two years old.

The truck hauls concrete blocks, dirt, tools and whatever.

Interesting because I just remembered a few months back that I got a ride in a old later 80s Mazda pickup. It did show its age. Bed was banged up and the business that owns it has had it for a number of years. Engine sounded pretty good. Rear window was busted out and the plastic looked about two years old.

The truck hauls concrete blocks, dirt, tools and whatever.

A version of a Ford Ranger.
Depending on the engine, it could have been a B2000, B2600, or iirc a B3000.

A version of a Ford Ranger.
Depending on the engine, it could have been a B2000, B2600, or iirc a B3000.

The Ford Ranger at the time of the B2600 was called Ford Courier here. Then they went to the Ford changed it to the Ranger around the same time as Mazda moved to BT50 name

The small pickups were a big hit in the States I almost bought a Datsun pickup around the early 80’s. It was used and lifted. A 4x4 with the two plugs per cylinder four banger. 4 speed manual. She ran really nice but had a wicked pull to the left. I decided against it.

Those small pick ups are now larger here and the Hilux & Ranger are the 2 top selling vehicles here. The Mazda BT50 for whatever reason doesn't sell that much here

Those small pick ups are now larger here and the Hilux & Ranger are the 2 top selling vehicles here. The Mazda BT50 for whatever reason doesn't sell that much here

Yep. They got bigger and bigger here as well. The original Toyota pickups were tough little buggers. I owned a 96 Tacoma which had grown a little bigger. Now the Tacoma’s are mid sized. Extended cabs, crew cabs. Mine had the 2.7 four cylinder. That was one heck of a motor.

Best Mazda pickup was the REPU. If you don't know what that was, you are sorely lacking in Mazda knowledge.

Best Mazda pickup was the REPU. If you don't know what that was, you are sorely lacking in Mazda knowledge.

I had to look it up. I’m new to Mazda having not paid much attention to them earlier because of the rotary. I preferred regular piston engines then and now. I know that may be heresy here but that was it besides their association with Ford after I had horrible experience with a Ford. Never again.

Back